Skip to content
Maintankadin

Another 'What to upgrade next' thread

Shathus
Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:32 pm

Another 'What to upgrade next' thread

I'll start with an Armory Link.

Unfortunately my tank mostly gets relegated to 'alt' runs or occasionally filling in for Uld10 runs if we're short one of the normal tanks, so I can't always rely on waiting for a boss to drop something (did get lucky this week with Razorscale's belt and Ignis's trinket). I've farmed heroics for emblems and got the 2 T8 pieces (which replaced two ilvl 200 items). And trying to decide on what to get next.

I've got the 10 man gloves in my bags but they still feel a little underwhelming compared to 7.5. Been trying to get the shoulders from H ToC which would be a nice upgrade. The belt, gloves and neck are all overall upgrades, but nothing big like the tier pieces for me I feel. Basically that leaves the legs left that I wasn't sure about because of all the BR on them. But I could just stick 2 stam gems in them or some stam/avoidance gems and gain a bunch of health over my current legs.

A guildie has the BS belt recipe as well, I would just need to round up the rest of the mats to make that.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance
arktik
Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:17 am

Re: Another 'What to upgrade next' thread

Your enchants look good, your gems look good but maybe look into research on agility+stam gems instead of dodge. Maybe try conq badge legs. You made right choice on 7.5 gloves over 8.0 or even 8.5 probably, imo. Maybe look into royal watch conq gloves which is something im trying to get input on as well on my thread http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25378. 26 agil on your wep for avoidance if you want more. The crafted belt is indeed nice and i saved up for it. Huge increase in hp and a good increase over avoidance stats but it will take some hard work to get the mats. Either way your off to a really great start. Oh ya as for shoulders, save up your triumphs and get the shoulders there for 45 of them, thats my next upgrade and wow will it be a huge increase from 7.0 shoulders. Keep doing those dailies.

Also, i feel dumb but i never knew there was an 885 armor enchant for gloves or did i read something wrong on your wowarmory? and if so does anyone have a post on theorycrafting for this enchant as compared to other enchants, thx!
Majiben
Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:30 am

Re: Another 'What to upgrade next' thread

Engineering only enchant.
Shathus
Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Another 'What to upgrade next' thread

Like Majiben said, engineering only. Any gems (epic gems at least) in my gear are from my JC'ing druid so if I don't have the pattern I just use what I do have. :) I had +agility on my Slayer of the Lifeless, but opted for weapon chain on the new sword to make up some of the hit.

On the plus side, one of our tanks didn't show up last night so I got to switch over to my pally and do 10 man ToC last night. Got http://db.mmo-champion.com/i/47872/fortitude-of-the-infernal/ off the 2nd boss so now I definitely dont have to worry about the EoC neck. Also put me at the expertise soft cap so I can switch out my SoV glyph for something else now too.

Think my next plan now is to just save up 39 EoC then decide if i want the legs or the gloves. The gloves basically appear to be T7.5 v2.0 with slightly better #s overall but still doesnt seem a HUGE upgrade especially putting a stam gem in them (7.5) the HP gains are almost even.
arktik
Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:21 pm

Re: Another 'What to upgrade next' thread

I'm on iPhone FYI. I am reluctant to get the Gaunets of the royal watch over my 7.5 gloves because of the loss of 2 gem slots which would decrease my hp and raise avoidance slighty which seems to make it a side grade and not An upgrade or is there something I am missing? Do u agree or not? I ask because I hear people say get the royal ones but no one explained why exactly.
TokenElf
Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:53 am

Re: Another 'What to upgrade next' thread

parry + stam gems are no longer bad. Considering they give as much avoidance as dodge now, and most people have avoided parry, it is a good choice.

If you can convince people to do 25 man naxx, the instructor has a better bracer. (stam gem in there along with the parry brings it above the FL one, imo)

go to 5 man ToC. The mark of the relentless is incredible with an epic gem It certainly helps that you can farm this without taking loot from a raid boss.

Turn in badges to get the valor T7.25 shoulders. Gem them with even a rare quality green def/stam gem and they come in on par with your current shoulders except they also trade BR for parry. The winner there is the Tier 7...

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... kenelfpali
This is what I've managed to do. Still trying for the black heart. Run that thing way too much and never had it drop once.
I'm not convinced the engineering back is worth losing a defense or agility enchant.

I've actually avoided the tier 8 helm for the ToC 5 heroic 5 man one. More stam if you put a blue gem in, better avoidance (now that parry and dodge are equal) and block rating traded in for hit.

Of all the things to get with Vic badges, I'd go for a ring or shoulders. They're the biggest upgrade.
repent
Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:35 pm

Re: Another 'What to upgrade next' thread

Some misinformation in this thread. Parry and dodge + stam gems are not equal. At this time you want to have a ratio of dodge to parry. (viewtopic.php?f=21&t=23475)

There are a couple of guides optimal ratios for gemming, which may make you better understand gearing choices as well. (And why you'll probably end up using agility/stam gems instead of dodge or parry) I haven't reviewed your gear at all, just wanted to point out something from an earlier post.

See viewtopic.php?f=21&t=23475
Shathus
Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:45 pm

Re: Another 'What to upgrade next' thread

I'm not thrilled with my shoulders since they have BR/BV on them instead of avoidance. But the stam increase over my old T7.0 shoulders was a nice upgrade. I've definitely running with more BR than I would like to, mostly it's just from what has dropped and like the shoulders, it was a good EH upgrade over a bunch of ilvl 200 gear imo.

I have yet to see the shoulders or the ring ever in H ToC otherwise I would definitely have them on. I have enough EoC for the legs, but again, I would just be putting in even more BR/BV and I'm not sure I want to do that. Need to go run Vault more and hope for the tier legs to drop.

The engineering back IS an agility enchant. +23 agi plus parachute cloak for fun. I didn't feel I needed the extra defense anymore.

I have the Furnace Stone to switch out with Ess of Goss, which I will do situationally. Especially with all the extra BR, I meet the block cap no problem and just went for the extra health pool. Maybe that's wrong (I know, block is the first thing pushed off the table so dodge is still better)?