Skip to content
Maintankadin

Pretty sure I need some advice on gear...

Sygrun
Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:33 pm

Pretty sure I need some advice on gear...

Please feel free to pick me apart.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Zangarmarsh&cn=Sygrun&gn=Honey+and+Clover

I think my block rating and value are a bit too low, maybe that's why my threat feels somewhat average (969 rotation btw). As far as my spec I like imp divine sacrifice for when I'm the OT and I find plenty of situations to help the raid with this, but if there's anything else I should consider moving around let me know!

From what I can see of the 3.2 changes I should probably change the dodge/stam gem since dodge was nerfed a bit... maybe work on my parry some? I'm going to change out my belt and will lose some def, so the extra def I currently have may come in handy. I feel so lost as to what to build up for 3.2 and I don't want to continue racing in the completely wrong direction if that's indeed where I'm headed. Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated!
Ulushnar
Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:08 pm

Re: Pretty sure I need some advice on gear...

Gear-wise you're fine. Block Rating isn't worth the points post-Naxx really. And Dodge is still better point for point I think, just Parry's closer than it was.

Spec-wise, I personally prefer something more like: 5/53/13

Divinity's ok, but it really feels like a talent for Holy to pick up in the Prot Tree rather than one that'll help your tanking. If your healer needs that +5% extra then you're probably in trouble. Benediction, and the second point in Spiritual Attunement shouldn't be needed for the most part. Just keep DP up, use BoSanc and drop consecrate from your rotation if you start getting mana starved.

Vindication's awesome, your own personal demoralizing shout, worth two points imo.
d503
Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Pretty sure I need some advice on gear...

A couple things:

Agi/Stam purples are your friend if you need to satisfy a meta requirement, or fulfill a socket bonus.

You mention that you're having problems generating threat, but I would be hesitant to think that it's because of BV. I run with 0 BV on my tanking set besides my t8 gloves, and I hold threat fine. Your spec is what is holding you back from doing more threat.

0/53/18 is the best threat spec.

You've currently got 5 points wasted in Benediction, especially since you have 2/2 SA. Honestly, if you wanted to push some more threat, I would go with the 0/53/18 that gets Divine Guardian and the Imp version : Like This. (You can play around with which point you spend to get to crusade...I like having PoJ, and the added raid utility of Imp Might and HotC).

Try out 0/53/18 for a while, and see how well it does you.

Your gear is fine. I wouldn't even say "work on parry" per se, as much as, continue to take gear that has avoidance upgrades (dodge + parry = more avoidance than your current piece).

Also, keep in mind that you'll be hurtin' for defense once you dump that Impregnable ring, so you'll likely wanna enchant your chest at that point.

Hope this helps.
Sygrun
Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:20 pm

Re: Pretty sure I need some advice on gear...

Thanks so much for all your advice! Making some changes as we speak. :)
d503
Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: Pretty sure I need some advice on gear...

Also, faithful use of a mod like Rating Buster, which will calculate appropriately diminished values of Dodge & Parry when comparing gear, will help you determine if something is technically an "avoidance upgrade."
Sygrun
Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:08 pm

Re: Pretty sure I need some advice on gear...

Okie doke, Rating Buster is a go. Thank you all again for your advice, it's really truly appreciated. :D