Skip to content
Maintankadin

Block Cap above ilvl 226

Fitt
Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:06 am

Block Cap above ilvl 226

So, after getting a couple upgrades in colliseum, and looking at the uprgades I can get... what the hell happened to Br?

After getting my baby coffin shield and the chest piece, I'm down to nothing but the maly quest neck for rating... And from eyeballing it, withought wearing lower ilvl gear, I'm going to need like 790 defense rating to meet block cap. :(
Barathorn
Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:06 am

Re: Block Cap above ilvl 226

Fitt wrote:So, after getting a couple upgrades in colliseum, and looking at the uprgades I can get... what the hell happened to Br?

After getting my baby coffin shield and the chest piece, I'm down to nothing but the maly quest neck for rating... And from eyeballing it, withought wearing lower ilvl gear, I'm going to need like 790 defense rating to meet block cap. :(


I don't actually fully understand what you are asking Fitt? Are you asking why we don't have BR on gear now? You also seem to be getting a little confused with 690ish def rating for uncrittable and 102.4 for block cap.

We don't actually want block rating once we are past T7 content, as it purely serves as a tool to get us to 102.4 and from there we start swapping in dodge and parry pieces for avoidance increases.

Barathorn
Lythac
Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:20 am

Re: Block Cap above ilvl 226

Fitt is saying with the upgrades he has been getting he has now dropped below block cap.

Saying he will need about 790def rating to become block capped is roughly the same as saying "I have 690 def rating atm and need 2% avoidance/block granted by 100def rating to become block capped".

Anyway most likely cause of dropping below block cap is wearing double sta trinkets and PvP shoulder enchant.
Ulushnar
Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:01 am

Re: Block Cap above ilvl 226

I kinda felt the Block Cap was overrated past Naxx anyway. By all means, get there if you can, but don't sacrifice the effectiveness of your gear to get there.
Barathorn
Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:43 am

Re: Block Cap above ilvl 226

I definately used to insist upon it but my gear seems to have settled down to @ 99-101 now so with raid buffs I am over what I need to be with no inferior pieces equipped to keep me there. I am flirting dangerously with 540 defense however and had to equip a +8 parry +8 def gem to raid last night. The joy of being between upgrades.

Thanks for the clarification Lythac, I couldn't understand why BR was so important.

Barathorn
Wrathy
Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:14 pm

Re: Block Cap above ilvl 226

I haven't really found that staying above 102.4 is that difficult, and as Barathorn said, after raid buffs you can usually get back over if you are skirting the line. Most of my gear sets are still above 102.4 pre raid buffs, and it wasn't really intentional (unless you consider my geming choices). In my opinion, one of the main culprits of the loss in 102.4 is the current craze of geming all stamina gems.

With that being said, I don't think in the current end game content that 102.4 is all that necessary. It's a luxury that is nice to have, but if you take one unmitigated hit, its not the end of the world if you are doing everything else correctly.
Nikachelle
Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: Block Cap above ilvl 226

Barathorn wrote: had to equip a +8 parry +8 def gem to raid last night.


Ewww......
Barathorn
Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:21 am

Re: Block Cap above ilvl 226

Nikachelle wrote:
Barathorn wrote: had to equip a +8 parry +8 def gem to raid last night.


Ewww......


They aren't the worst now with the changes to parry. You do what you have to. As it was I got some more upgrades and am now sitting at 539 def with 2 +20 def gems in my kit so another upgrade and more regemming is necessary.

Stupid repelling charge. I have Ulu Syndrome now.
Nikachelle
Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: Block Cap above ilvl 226

Barathorn wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:
Barathorn wrote: had to equip a +8 parry +8 def gem to raid last night.


Ewww......


They aren't the worst now with the changes to parry. You do what you have to. As it was I got some more upgrades and am now sitting at 539 def with 2 +20 def gems in my kit so another upgrade and more regemming is necessary.

Stupid repelling charge. I have Ulu Syndrome now.


I just like giving you a hard time. :D
Barathorn
Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:48 pm

Re: Block Cap above ilvl 226

I could be crude, but I refuse to be.

/bows.

My parry gems bring all the girls to the yard!
Spectrum
Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:24 pm

Re: Block Cap above ilvl 226

Last night I finally replaced the 10-man Auriaya pants with T7. I put them on and started looking at juggling things around. I'm always just over def cap, but I got confused because I was at 555 and couldn't figure out why. Then it hit me. The new pants had defense on them while my last two both didn't! I could finally swap out Repelling Charge again! I almost got giddy in my excitement.

I think I'm at block cap these days, but I'm not sure. I know I have a little BR, but it is getting less common. It's hard to be sure because when I'm doing gear analysis I'm usually not in a raid and don't have MotW/Kings/Str+Agil up so that I have a baseline comparison.

With the new block value changes I'm finding lots of block rating is very nice to have.. for trash. 3k block value makes some trash almost laughable.
Wrathy
Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:41 pm

Re: Block Cap above ilvl 226

http://www.codeplex.com/Rawr Download and install this, you can factor in your gear your gems, your raid buffs and it gives you all the info you need.