Skip to content
Maintankadin

New tankadin on the block

Faladrath
Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:28 am

New tankadin on the block

I've today decided to reroll my alt tankadin to become my main.

I've tanked 5mans and a 10/25 naxx/os/voa

But never really gotten deep into what a tankadin is about so I went to look for a website dedicated to tankadins and not just some random official forum which contains allot of ppl who like to think they have a clue but don't.

So I found this and been reading quite a few threads but not nearly as many as I should so instead I decided to make a thread asking for some clues and explanations.

I understand the concept of being block capped but why 102,4% and not 100? something to do with it being a raid boss?

As for the block cap itself, as said in some threads when u are block capped u start to exchange the the block rating for dodge/parry. I guess it depends on what kinda of guild your in and how stable your raid squad is but do you guys aim for block capped unbuffed or as max raid buffed/boss debuffed?

My other question is ofc the old one, what can I improve on with my current gear/spec/gems/enchants?
http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... n=Faladina
My comments on it is that don't worry about def cap or gems, as that will be sorted tomorrow and on my list to do is to craft boots and later belt, get a few more badgers to get the t8.5 helm and then further on chest and then offset legs and gloves, all depending on what I will get my hands on during my 1st raids as maintankadin. And in regards to my wpn enchant I've by reading here that 26agi is better then blade ward and will have that change on my current wpn or more likely on the peacekeeper when it drops.

Should I be going for exp+stam gems(assuming def cap) till I hit the soft cap of 6.5% and then go to agi+stam in red sockets with a good bonus and for yellow def+stam? and what is a good enough gem bonus to drop the pure stam gem and go for a hyrbid, unless ofc I need def.Should i aim to always be exp soft capped?

As for the 3rd major glyph is it just down to preference/role in a raid? is i.e the avengers shield one being used by tankadins whom are MT's? and i.e in my case I'm sure I'll be OT/thrash for a while, is HotR a better choise?

Specwise I read sacred shield now overwrites the other so that makes divine guardian useless if u have a holy present as they all want their hot on and will overwrite my own ss.
I also read vindication works on a boss now, does it stack/override demo/imp demo shout? Specially as our retadin decided to re roll boomkin I'm sure I need to pick this up unless imp demo does the job.
Any suggestions towards my spec would be nice as I can see from my little read that it's rather outdated and probably a bit 5man centric.

So bottom line, feed me your wisdom about tankadins, I wanna learn and thanks for any replies :D
Barathorn
Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:19 am

Re: New tankadin on the block

The best advice I can give is to read the stickies, then read then some more, and then some more. Explaining to how it all works won't make you 'get it' if that makes sense, you need to get the basics down for yourself and then people will be more than ready to help once you have specific questions.

Barathorn
Knaughty
Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:25 am

Re: New tankadin on the block

Read the links in my sig :)
Lythac
Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:07 pm

Re: New tankadin on the block

Everything is in Knaughty's at a quick glance. Only thing that didn't see explained was -

Faladrath wrote:I understand the concept of being block capped but why 102,4% and not 100? something to do with it being a raid boss?


The numbers displayed in the character sheet are displayed for mobs at your level. With every level of difference the stats are each out by 0.2%. The simple version of block cap is -

100 +( 4 * 0.2 *(mob level - player level))

The 4 is the number of stats affected (dodge, parry, miss and block).

Code: Select all
        Crit    Blockcap   Complete Avoidance
+3/??    5.6     102.4          101.8
+2       5.4     101.6          101.2
+1       5.2     100.8          100.6
0        5.0     100.0          100.0
-1       4.8      99.2           99.4
-2       4.6      98.4           98.8   


Want to know where the 0.2 comes from?

Its 5 * 0.04
Faladrath
Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:40 am

Re: New tankadin on the block

Right so I've done a good share of reading around.

Did the 1st run u25 which started on kolgarn, got myself a few fair bits of gear with a some luck.

Now my questions is for a few parts of gear.The new me

1st is gloves, I got valorous coupled with shoulders for 2 set, I acquired[Handguards of the Enclave]

Is this and upgrade or downgrade? can't make up my mind, by the logic of once block capped get rid of block to replace with dodge/parry it's a downgrade but on the other side when you think of how big a portion u block and by losing block value I diminish it's effectiveness by not using them.I also would lose the 2set tho I don't find threat a big issue. As u can see I'm confusing myself so some light on this choice would be much appreciated.Or does [Gauntlets of the Royal Watch ] beat them both since my hit isn't exactly ideal.

2nd is legs, I got as u can see [Saronite Plated Legguards] and a holy pally with offspec prot claimed I was lucky since they are the best legs in game from u25 non-hard modes
I can't help finding [Conqueror's Aegis Legguards] better specially with 2set?
I also respeced into something a bit more up to date tho any comments towards gemming/enchants would be appreciated as well.(atm armory show stuff ungemmed but sure when the maintenance is over that will be corrected).
Wrathy
Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:20 pm

Re: New tankadin on the block

The decisions you are trying to make are situational from my point of view. The short story of your question is should i drop my 2 piece for other pieces of gear. You have started to pick up different items that have different strengths. There is not really a simple answer to tell you that one is better than another. It all depends on what you are tanking.

Your gloves, the Handguards of the Enclave, are only really good for trash, as the BV and BR on them are sub par to the pure avoidance and hit you can get from T7.5. As for your legs, the Saronite Plate Legguards are, as you said, amazing EH legs, where as T8.5 are more for avoidance.

As you begin to understand your role in the raid more and what you are going to be asked to do, you can equip your gear as appropriate, EH for hard hitting, healing challenged fights, block gear for trash if necessary.

One more suggestion, you are still under 540 defense, you may want to think about switching your chest enchant from 10 stats to 22 defense, as it has the best opportunity cost.
Faladrath
Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: New tankadin on the block

Thanks for your reply, answered my questions :)

Def cap is sorted just not updated on armory, along side new badge gloves.
Barathorn
Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:37 am

Re: New tankadin on the block

Wrathy wrote:The decisions you are trying to make are situational from my point of view. The short story of your question is should i drop my 2 piece for other pieces of gear. You have started to pick up different items that have different strengths. There is not really a simple answer to tell you that one is better than another. It all depends on what you are tanking.

Your gloves, the Handguards of the Enclave, are only really good for trash, as the BV and BR on them are sub par to the pure avoidance and hit you can get from T7.5. As for your legs, the Saronite Plate Legguards are, as you said, amazing EH legs, where as T8.5 are more for avoidance.

As you begin to understand your role in the raid more and what you are going to be asked to do, you can equip your gear as appropriate, EH for hard hitting, healing challenged fights, block gear for trash if necessary.

One more suggestion, you are still under 540 defense, you may want to think about switching your chest enchant from 10 stats to 22 defense, as it has the best opportunity cost.


This is very good advice.