Skip to content
Maintankadin

Any Advice is helpful

fullmonty
Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:50 pm

Any Advice is helpful

Prot is my offspec and I have been reading up alot on your forums and somethings I understand and other times I feel like I don't know shit. Please look and any critism and advice is helpful. We mainly 10 mans as a guild and are attempting hard modes but I do them as holy. I logged off as Prot cause I found a different guild that is just starting 25's and have pulled a few of us in to help and they want me to tank. Am I really ready to tank it and what do I need to do if not.
Nikachelle
Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:52 pm

Re: Any Advice is helpful

Could you please provide a link to your armory? I'd rather not have to search through the database for your character.
fullmonty
Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:57 pm

Re: Any Advice is helpful

I apologize but my work blocks it and I do not have the link pasted here anymore.
Nikachelle
Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Any Advice is helpful

Your helm enchant is weird. Is that the old one from TBC? Get the Argent Crusade one.

The shoulder enchant, like ahm said, needs to be changed.

Your hit gems are kind of useless. Swap those out for enduring forest emeralds (+defense/+stam)

Lavanthor's Talisman should be thrown out if you're doing Ulduar. Save it for Naxx runs when you're bored.

The Armsmen enchant isn't great. Go with +20 agility perhaps, instead. Or the armor kit that gives you 180 health.

In your current gear you have 30% block, but only 20% dodge. The block is way too high and the dodge way too low. Try to get more avoidance pieces, particularly if you're going to do Ulduar 25.

You have 2 points in improved judgments, this breaks 969, take one point out. The 5 points in Seal of the Pure aren't helping you much, try switching to the Crusade spec. And take those three points out of Divinity to put them towards the Crusade spec.

Feels like I kind of just ripped into you... sorry!
Nikachelle
Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Any Advice is helpful

You're also a jewelcrafter. Chuck out Levanthor's Talisman and replace it with the Monarch Crab.
fullmonty
Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: Any Advice is helpful

Yes my guts are hanging out but it is what I have been looking for. TYVM

Like I said this has been my offspec so I have been just getting what noone else needed so i have printed it to make the adjustments.

Thanks again for all your help.
Nikachelle
Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Any Advice is helpful

fullmonty wrote:Yes my guts are hanging out but it is what I have been looking for. TYVM


<3

Good luck to you!
Braundo
Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Any Advice is helpful

Nikachelle wrote:You have 2 points in improved judgments, this breaks 969, take one point out.

As I always say when someone points this out...are you saying that 1/5 Benediction or 1/2 Imp BoM is a better idea than 2/2 Imp. Judgement? The second point has value at any time that you're not using 969, like on trash or during any fight where you're not on the same target the whole time.

2/2 Imp Judg. is fine, IMO, as long as you understand what its purpose is.
Nikachelle
Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:39 pm

Re: Any Advice is helpful

Braundo wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:You have 2 points in improved judgments, this breaks 969, take one point out.

As I always say when someone points this out...are you saying that 1/5 Benediction or 1/2 Imp BoM is a better idea than 2/2 Imp. Judgement? The second point has value at any time that you're not using 969, like on trash or during any fight where you're not on the same target the whole time.


It depends on the person and the content they're doing. I run with 2/2 BoM because we don't have a raiding ret paladin.
repent
Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:46 pm

Re: Any Advice is helpful

Nikachelle wrote:You have 2 points in improved judgments, this breaks 969, take one point out. The 5 points in Seal of the Pure aren't helping you much, try switching to the Crusade spec. And take those three points out of Divinity to put them towards the Crusade spec.

I agree that crusader is a better spec, and the points of Seal are better spent from Seal of the Pure to Pursuit/Crusade. However 2 points in improved judgments does not "break" 969. It's a wasted talent point is all in most situations. (the ability is up faster than you can use it in the 969 situation.) However, sometimes the tank wants to break his tanking rotations, for judgment switches (tantrum coming, better switch to light, eg) and sometimes your mob dies and the new mob you want is at range and you want your judgment available that much sooner.

The MUCH BIGGER ISSUE!!!! You dont have Improved righteous fury talented : / It is easily the single most important talent in the entire protection tree. Some other asides, you need to glyph minors, and reglyph one of your majors to pick up divine plee. Your missing 9% total damage reduction at the moment. Edit myself: To explain myself here, RF gives you 6% damage reduction while your threat ability is active (which it always is while tanking) As to divine plea, it gives an additional 3% DR while it is active (which it always is active pretty much). I'm not sure if that just equals 9% total or some other number.

As to the gems, you can also ignore the chest socket bonus and go full stamina. (providing you have 540 defense (not sure if your keeping your resilience in your shoulders... SP ftl.)
Nikachelle
Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:51 pm

Re: Any Advice is helpful

We're arguing semantics here. No, putting the full two points in improved judgments doesn't BREAK 969, it's the person pressing the buttons that breaks it. However, most people aren't going to count off that extra second before pressing an action that just came off CD.

/facepalm myself. How did I miss the Improved RF? Good lord.
Jasari
Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:56 pm

Re: Any Advice is helpful

Nikachelle wrote:However, most people aren't going to count off that extra second before pressing an action that just came off CD.


They'll have to wait that extra second because it won't be off the GCD yet.
Epimer
Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:17 pm

Re: Any Advice is helpful

Addressing the same point - with 2/2 Imp Judgements, you get (for illustrative purposes):

0 - Judgement
1.5 - ShoR
3 - Holy Shield
4.5 - HotR
6 - Consecrate
7.5 - ShoR
(8 - Judgement off cooldown)
9 - Judgement

You can't cast Judgement early and thus break your rotation because you're still in the GCD from the previous 6 second ability when Judgement becomes available. So it's only a wasted point in that it doesn't improve your rotation, but it does have the aforementioned benefits of a ranged pick-up ability being available earlier when you need it (Thorim's arena, any other add pick-up fight). It's a reasonable way to spend the filler point.
fullmonty
Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: Any Advice is helpful

I have played some different gear and think it has gotten somewhat better. I am currently working on the sons of hodir rep to get the better shoulder enchants. My guild is working on the 10 man hard modes at the moment and I pug uld 25 runs on occasion. Prot is actually my offspec so getting gear is sometimes rough so I just want to make sure I am getting the most out of what I have.

Thanks for all the help in the past weeks and in the future.