Skip to content
Maintankadin

Tanking Heroics

Paiid
Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:06 pm

Tanking Heroics

Hi guys, I know you get asked this a lot, but I figured I'd come here for the answer because its the Mecca for Pally tanks.

Do you think its possible for me to tank heroics? The thing I'm not to confident about is my health and avoidance. Does my avoidance look ok or should it be higher?

Thanks in advance =D
I really appreciate it

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Nathrezim&n=Paiid
Racerover
Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:10 pm
You're above the "defense minimum of 535 for heroics and your health is at an ok spot. I'm sure you're set for some easier heroics. Bring a good healer and i'm sure you'd blaze through them all. Everyone's gotta start somewhere.

--Race


There is no such thing as a defense cap, only a minimum. Using that erroneous term causes long lasting harm to the tanking community. -Majiben
_________________
Majiben
Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:26 am
Well you should be able to do the easier heroics fine especially if you read up on the fights and trash before hand. You are missing a lot of enchants however which could greatly improve your first heroic runs.

Hands:
+18 stam kit here
Wrist:
+6 stats or +12 stam/defense (TBC). Save the +40 stamina enchant for a pair of epic bracers.
Chest:
+22 defense
Cloak:
+16 defense
Shoulders:
Use your old exalted aldor/scryer enchants here till you get enough Sons of Hordir rep for theirs. Should you not have the TBC rep put a +18 stamina kit here too.
Head:
The Argent crusade arcanum here. Should you lack the rep for that the old KoT one will do. Should you lack the rep for that too you should stick another +18 stamina kit there.
Weapon:
+26 agility or +20 str (TBC) here.
Shield:
+20 defense.

You could also use the improved leg enchant.

Gear: Looks okay but you could make some improvements besides the enchants. You should be working towards your wrymrest rep for their revered chest. That can be put on hold should you decide that getting your AC rep for head enchant is your priority. Your gem job in your helm is subpar unfortunately. That pure defense gem you stuck in it doesn't net you any defense, it only costs you 12 stamina. If you put a 8 defense/12 stamina green gem in there you will activate the +8 defense bonus in the helm!

Do you have access to another tanking trinket from TBC? The BR trinket isn't the best choice of TBC tanking trinkets to take with you into wotlk.

I Know you are still leveling enchanting but at least get the old +4 stats enchant onto your rings. You could actually level your enchanting and your AC/WR rep. BT and DB have wyrmrest quests that have DEable rewards to level with. Icecrown and ZD have AC quests.

Spec: While you don't have a bad spec per se I have to recommend you drop reckoning and pick up kings when you are still new to heroics. The EH boost from kings can make or break you in heroics at stage in your gearing.
_________________
Levantine
Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:05 am
Majiben's not a global mod though. Razz Otherwise there would have been hideous cyan text involved.
_________________
Levantine: 80 Frost [27k HP, 27k Armor, 544 Def]
Anzen: 30 Elemental [Resto in the making]
Majiben
Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:11 pm
Running out of mana is a concern when you overgear heroics, right now you'll get tossed around like a rag doll and thus regen enough mana from damage. Eventually you''ll reach a point where you'll need BoS for trash but BoK fro bosses. And finally you'll just use BoS when you outgear heroics entirely. But for now BoKs will make your survival much easier.
_________________
Viycktor
Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:33 pm
I've found, while gearing up/depending on the instance, that I can go OOM on trash while actually wanting kings for the boss (healer may be busy moving/healing self/healing dps at times).

I'll usually just use the 10 min buff on myself for instances and switch between trash and bosses when this is a problem -> mainly VH, but also HoL where the trash isn't deadly to ME, but can BBQ the dps/healers - so I don't pull too many.

It's a judgment call (choose vengeance) but remember that you can be flexible with your own buffs in instances. Going OOM on trash can turn an easy pull into a nightmare.