Skip to content
Maintankadin

OT: Nightfall

Silandra
Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:53 pm

OT: Nightfall

What do you do when you're not tanking something or are no longer required to do anything?

A) Heal in your prot set for all of four heals.
B) Get out your 2her and go SoR, or SoC if applicable, on some butts
C) Get out a weapon that lets everyone else do more damage.
D) Sit there and look pretty.

Obviously I'm talking of C.

Compare these two WWS's:

http://www.lossendil.com/wws/?report=6pq1xpe1npkoa&s=2209-2588&m

http://www.lossendil.com/wws/?report=a2fhil3t2pea3&s=3436-3915&m

The one at the top features a weapon that was grand back in the days of MC: A Nightfall. For those of you who don't like the link:

Chance on hit: Spell damage taken by target increased by 15% for 5 sec.

How much exactly will that do? Roughly 1,000 DPS worth.

Difference in caster DPS as a total between a time when I was dead 50% of the time vs ~20% of the time is 449.

Granted, this is between two fights so this can pretty much be thrown to the curb and told to go get a job.

Looking solely at Vardag's Shadowbolts, he had a gain of roughly 12% on it between this week and last.

Skar between this week and last, gained roughly 15% on his fireballs. His max hit rose by ~400. His crit, however, more than doubled between the weeks, so that is obviously a big factor

Kelwynn's pet, Peeves, went from a max of just under 600 to a max of 868 on his scorpid poison ticks.

Abby's average SW:P Tick went from 617 to 657.

Cleg's max poison tick went from 289 to 333, the average rose 40 points.

My DPS went down almost 100 points. QQ I'm sad.

Do keep in mind that with the exception of warriors, every single class does magic damage. It may be classified as a poison, but it's still magic for terms of damage.
_________________
When in doubt, bubble and hearth out.
A Paladin's fury is a quiet, solemn thing, ever a hair before the bloodlust of a Warrior or the ferocity of a beast. But it holds his foes just the same.
Oranniv
Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:45 pm
We have a OT warrior with one. They used to break it out big time for gruul's when we were short dps.

Now, so many fights have adds to control (ssc/tk) that it's more of a novelty. Maybe VR if he wasn't easy.
Joanadark
Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:58 pm
didnt proc rate get drastically nerfed as we gained levels?

cause we used that in my guild at 60, and one of the paladins still has it in his bank somewhere.
_________________
"Misunderstanding the Tankadin is forgivable.

In many ways we are still learning to understand ourselves."

www.joanadark.tankspot.com
Joanadark
Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:00 am
at 60 we usedone all the time, and it would proc constantly....

...and the minute our retadin hit 61, he reported a sharp drop in proc frequency.
_________________
"Misunderstanding the Tankadin is forgivable.

In many ways we are still learning to understand ourselves."

www.joanadark.tankspot.com
Prepared
Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:31 am
I'm going to ask the bank if I can make one of these tonight. It might be super useful for fights in which my add is one of the first few to die, or ranged/casters can not pull aggro. IE: Gruul until I need to heal a few folks, Magtheridon after my channeler dies, Hydross full time (we do the kill 1, sheep 2 strat on the melee adds), FLK, etc.

Even if it only procs once, that's already more damage than I'd contribute in tank gear, and I could keep my own Judgement up at the same time.
_________________
"Judgement day's not coming soon enough."




Defense < 490 = Healing gear or Hydross gear.
Reiyuka
Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:02 am
necromancy!

I had four of these made for myself and three of our Warrior tanks, and they're expressing some doubts as to whether it's worth sacrificing their Devastate spam to keep up this proc.

The warriors report that they can ordinarily do about 400-450dps dual-wielding; Nightfall would probably reduce that to 300 or so. Sacrificing 100dps to keep up a proc *should* be a net gain.

We're going to try it in a few raids and post WWS results. Smile
_________________
Dayblade
Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:25 am
Would really love to see if this is worth it or not. As our guild too is past the Gruul stage and beginning progression into SSC with our first Lurker kill 2 weeks ago - would be curious if this would be worth while for our OT's when OT'ing is not needed on boss fights etc.

Hey Silandra - trying to read thru your combatlog - what is the debuff applied to Gruul that Nightfall is doing? Trying to theory-craft calculate the proc rate.

Thanks in advance.
_________________
Dayblade
First Officer, aGM, Blade of Honor
Lore
Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:40 am
I have one, it procs a lot. Definitely worth it.

I believe the debuff is "Spell Vulnerability"
_________________
Me, LOL!
Dayblade
Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:50 am
I found "Shadow Vulnerability" and "Fire Vulnerability" in the debuff listing on Gruul himself in the combat logs --- are either of them accountable to Nightfall?
_________________
Dayblade
First Officer, aGM, Blade of Honor
Lore
Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:56 am
No, it's "Spell Vulnerability", I just looked it up on Wowhead.

Shadow Vulnerability is the result of a Warlocks with Imp Shadowbolt, and Fire Vulnerability is the result of mages with Imp Scorch.
_________________
Me, LOL!
khash
Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:12 am
is it a proc chance or a ppm? ie would seal of crusader and haste speed up the proc chance?
_________________
Lore
Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:15 am
I'm not sure, I usually use SotC with it and it does seem to proc more that way, but I could just be imagining things.
_________________
Me, LOL!