Skip to content
Maintankadin

Starterset legplates

Zaluthar
Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:36 am

Starterset legplates

Hi,

I will ding 80 next week. I will easily reach the defense cap using current gear (using enchant chest - greater defense and enchant cloak - titanweave, but only after the cost reduction of 3.0.8 )

I have the options of using either Daunting Legplates or Special Issue Legplates. Which one is better for a starter? The differences are:
+9 sta, +1 red slot, -19 def, +8 parry, -24 str, +46 hit
I am quite low on sta, therefore I think the legplates are better. But I will also lose 24 strength...

Other upgrades I will get later will be the Wyrmrest Accord Breastplate of the Solemn Council and Sabatons of Draconic Vigor.

Any suggestions or easy upgrades (from drops/quests/rep) are welcome. I prefer not to buy my upgrades in the AH, because I like to really "win" them.

Any suggestions?

My profile http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aggramar&n=Zaluthar
(I use the Hammer of Quiet Mourning for tanking, but it might not be currently equipped in the armory.)
kenshin648
Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:54 am
Get the special Issue Legplates if you will still have 689 defense rating afterwards.
theothersteve7
Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:14 am
Use Daunting if you need the defense for uncrit, otherwise go for the Special Issue Legplates. Do the Crusade quest chain in southeast Icecrown; it'll give much of the rep you need for the legplates as well as a spiffy helmet.

I recommend buying Daunting Gloves and Tempered Sauronite Belt off the AH as there are no easy quest/rep upgrades. It shouldn't be too expensive, they're both craftables with simple mats.
Zaluthar
Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:04 am
Thanks for the replies.

I don't need the Daunting Legplates for uncrit, so I will go with the Special Issue Legplates.

(I already have the required rep for it. Besides that, I am already using the Daunting Handguards and Tempered Saronite Belt (they were too cheap on AH). I also have the spiffy helmet from Icecrown.)
majiben
Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:53 pm
Daunting because you will need the extra defense later. Once you get into naxx you'll need the extra defense while the rest of your gear trades defense fro dodge. I was also partial to the legs from H CoS but that's not available till you are running heroics.
phaqueue
Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:26 pm
Also - on "easy" to get leg upgrades... bolstered legplates from heroic VH are the best choice here... heroic VH is very easy IMO - just find a healer who isn't terrible and burn through the place...

only problem I have ever had with that place is mana... since you can't simply pull more on the solo mob portals... this is remedied by popping divine plea when it's up - and getting off a couple of ticks of drink when you can - as well as judging wisdom...

otherwise - you can tank that in basically any gear with 535 defense

for the record... my brother tanked a successful run on his DK in basically crafted blues, with some quest gear... it's really not gear dependent - just have to know how the bosses work and have a decent healer...

run that place ad nauseum for your legs and trinket (good luck :) )
Zaluthar
Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:53 am
Due to other upgrades with less defense, I am obligated to keep the Daunting on for a while. (Until I am Argent Crusade Revered).
Kellel
Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:37 am
I kept both in my bank for a while. I opted for the special issue whenever I could, but whenever I'd upgrade a piece of gear and loose a bit of that lovely tempered saronite defense, swapping out legs was an easy way to stay uncrit :D. Don't vendor them until you have other means of quickly and economically staying about the crit line during gear substitutions.