Skip to content
Maintankadin

Building up my HP

sandmaster
Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:31 am

Building up my HP

My main way of raiding atm is through PuGs, i enjoy maintanking more than OT'n as most people do, in pugs the easiest way to do this it to have a siginifcant amount more HP than the other tank(s) as this is often what the RL will look at.

With this is mind i'm making a "max stam" set, i think this will also help in heroics where some extra mana from taking more damage will be nice.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bladefist&n=Gally

What i'm thinking of doing:
I have http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37135 and http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37633 so i could make one my avoidance (thinking arc shield) and one my max HP (grnd trem) with a Austere Earthsiege Diamond and argent crusade helm enchant. I'm not quite sure which i want here, and i can make a titansteel helm if the patch ever comes to give it a meta slot.

I'm also going to swap a solid dragons eye from my ring into my legs.

I'm hoping hc AN will play ball and drop my waist, then i can get T7 gloves probably with solid sky saph and a +18 stam kit (this is a cheap enchant so i can NP change it later, and i have no threat issues).

One issue i think i'll have is i won't be able to use http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37784 and stay uncrittable, i hope to get one of the ring with defense + armor, else a boss drop.

Can anyone think of any other ways i can up my HP (enchants, gems, easy drops) before i go into more raids.
_________________
Majiben
Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:20 am
Just want to pop in here real quick and say that a PuG leader isn't only wooed by HP, you can both sell yourself with previous experience and high avoidance.
_________________
I reserve the right to refuse service to those that do not read the stickies.
sanctifico
Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:34 am
You can do heroics with 4/8T6 Sunwell gear, and three lvl 78blues with def trinkets :p
_________________


3/6 Sunwell Pre-Nerf.
Lavnihs
Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:25 pm
Back towards the OT and away from LolSunwell gear (I really don't mean to be rude or downplay your achievement, but T3 wasn't great on Mag, T6 isn't great on Kel'Thuzad) one thing I would say is don't go overboard sacrificing for stamina.

My guild is RL friends, and with quite a few of them being in the military and deployed right now, I find myself pugging much like yourself. Having looked at both of our characters, (Lavnihs on Anetheron US, I apologize for not giving an armory link, work proxy) I notice that while you have 3k more HP than I do, I have slightly higher armor, closer to block cap, and more str. You are better geared than I am no doubt, and I've been lazy enchanting a couple pieces of gear that I feel will be replaced soon.

My point is this, HP isn't everything. The last 4 pug raids I was in (Sarth 10, Sarth 25, Naxx 25 and Archavon 25) I didn't have the HP that the MT did. However, I ended up MTing after a few trash pulls. Why? Because I am a more balanced tank. The threat of a balanced prot pally will surpass a stam stacker. The damage intake of a balanced prot pally will be less than a stam stacker.

Pugging as a tank often times means we're not the MT. Once a few people see you tank and you build a little reputation (I typically pug with the same couple guilds) you will find yourself MTing more.

Or just take the OT role and then tank the mob the last 30-40% when the "I stacked stam and neglected everything else" tank dies because of spike damage. I tanked Maexxna and Anub-Rekhan (spelling?) for the last 30-40% in 25 spider wing because the druid and warrior who had siginificantly more HP than I did couldn't stay up during the spike damage.

Food for thought.

If you feel max stam is the way to go, at least change your head enchant to the AC revered one, as well as your meta to either 32 stam 2% armor or magic dmg.

You have +AP on your weapon, a better choice would be TBC Potency (+20) str for added BV/threat.

Get rid of Armsman on your gloves and pick up an armor kit, that will get you a bit more HP. (I don't agree with this, but it will get you more stam)
_________________
Lavnihs -BE Prot Pally, <Deceit> Anetheron

1/1 Hogger (pre-nerf)
sandmaster
Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:11 pm
Ty for the input, although i'm confused about the sunwellness.

I'm up to 29.5k HP unbuffed now Smile

Swapped the gem and enchant over tonight, was kinda waiting on titansteel helm but it isn't much gold.

Got my T7 gloves now, with a +18 sta armor kit, was free so NP to change at a later date.

Has 50AP on wep as i was being cheap waiting for 75 stam next patch, got 26 agility, for my avoidance gear/block cap, for just 6g + my air tonight. Can't see many more places i can get much more, being over 30k unbuffed would be nice bragging rights.


I see that pug RLs do pretty much just look at the HP pool, and even if i'm hittable i'll still likely be taking more regular damage than a warrior, once i'm settled into MT'n in a raid i can easily swap a few bits and be unhittable for a boss.
_________________
Lavnihs
Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:35 am
If you just want to do a gearswap after they see your HP and say you're tanking, pick up the Icebane set and gem it straight Stam.

Then put on your real gear to tank with =p
_________________
Lavnihs -BE Prot Pally, <Deceit> Anetheron

1/1 Hogger (pre-nerf)