Skip to content
Maintankadin

Defensive Trinket vs Stam Trinket. Little advice please

Macktruck
Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:07 pm

Defensive Trinket vs Stam Trinket. Little advice please

Just received T7 valor helm last night to finish the set and upgraded from 10-man set. Net increase of 23 Def Rating. Current gear + Repelling Charge brings me up to 561 unbuffed Def Skill.

I also keep Essence of Gossamer in my bags. I've been currently using Monarch Crab + Repelling Charge because without the +84 Def Rating, I would be at 539 Def w/o the extra defense. However, with the helm, I can safely wear the two stam trinkets and be at 544 Def.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Dragonmaw&n=Macktruck is the link to my armory.

For general tanking, which trinket would you recommend, the Essence or the Repelling Charge. It's 3% avoidance/BR + Stam on-use vs 1200 hp + decent proc. I do regularly use my on-use trinkets and cd's with no problem. I understand that Malygos and Sartharion would warrant the extra hp for obvious reasons.

I'm personally not a 100% stam whore, and I do understand balance of overall HP, mitigation, and avoidance. Which would be ya'lls preference?

Edit: As far as extra stam, I am keeping in mind the Titanguard enchant to weapon as well as the +40 enchant to bracers. The latter I will be getting and possibly Titanguard though I might get Accuracy instead when Last Laugh drops.
_________________
Peaches
Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:17 pm
Maybe I can help a little. I think where your at you should stop looking at defense as keeping it over 540. Look at defense as mitigation, adding to each mitigation stat. Your block rating looks a bit low for a paladin. But then again how many fights out there really test our mitigation...

I would say use Repelling Charge with the crab. Crab over Gossamer just for sockets. 2 sockets in a trinket is very nice, allows you to fix def if you ever drop.

I use Repelling Charge with the Dodge trinket from badges. I sit about 37k fully raid buffed without warrior shout. I assume your around the same maybe about 38k.

So to sum it up, def wins even after 540 in my eyes. especially 84 def. I raid with about 25% dodge, 18% parry, 26% block with the HP i said before... I mean really, who needs to stack stam when you have Enen, who is probably Mtanking your OS +3 attempts... right?

Hit me up in game if you wanna talk more about it... were on same server
_________________

GM of Sunset on Dragonmaw
phaqueue
Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:46 pm
I am currently running the same setup (crab/repelling)

I have the EoG, but I really don't see myself using it for anything that I tank at 80... the use effect on the crab is just so much better, and the repelling charge Def + the use effect are easily better than EoG...

the extra effect on EoG just isn't as good as the other 2 IMO... it's great to have that little extra mitigation - but honestly - the crab is up basically all the time... (almost every trash pull - every other at worst) and between the mitigation you get from the Def on the charge and the use effect - it outshines the EoG in my eyes...
_________________
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" -Douglas Adams
Macktruck
Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:27 pm
Yeah, after I thought about it more Repelling Charge + Crab would be the better setup.

If I use both stam trinkets and a stoneblood flask, I'm sitting at 39.5k hp buffed, and our druid sits at ~44k.

The 3% avoidance/block is nice just by itself, and when it's called for I'd always pop the extra 3k hp + DP for the massive increase in EH. And for most fights just having a lot more mitigation which I shoot for would definitely be better than having 1-2k more hp. I normally run with Elixir of Mighty Strength/Guru's Elixir + Elixir of Protection along with the Mixology effect over a flask. Elixir alone gives over 1k armor, and with all buffs and indestructible potion, I can reach over 38k armor, which gives 71% reduction

Thanks for the help, and just talkin it out often brings the answer. Appreciate it.
_________________
Vexryn
Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:23 am
I'm struggling with this myself as well, except I'm not a JC so the Crab isn't an option.

It seems that the consensus for non-JCs would be to run with the Repelling Charge + Gossamer, or the Repelling Charge + Valor Medal if you want to stack outright avoidance over Gossamer stam?

- Vexryn
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Stormscale&n=Vexryn
Dokidoki
Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:55 am
good lord you have gone batshit with the defense. Defense is fine even after crit immune but there are better ways to go. Honestly get another stam trinket and regem your excess def gems with stam

def has DR, stamina does not

def does not scale with kings and multipliers, stamina does

sarth 3 drakes and malygos put out excessive spell damage. Stamina will help you with this, defense will not.

you are already block capped so getting more block isnt going to do anyting for you unless somehow you dont have holy shield or redoubt up. I'd say move away from defense/block rating and move to avoidance/stam.

also stam increases SP for threat/backup healing/etc. whereas def does not (unless you really want to argue the parry from def rating is a threat increase, which is pretty lolz to me)

Also replace your meta with 32 stam 2% armor or 2% spell damage reduction.