Skip to content
Maintankadin

How can I get started?

Imbiss
Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:04 am

How can I get started?

I'm a holy pally, and I have pretty much no tank gear. I want to respec to prot, but I need a way to start. Is there a BS set I should get crafted? Maybe work on some rep?

I also have 35 badges, should I grab any badge loot, or save them?

Thanks. Very Happy
Majiben
Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:07 am
First question, do you plan to stay prot full time or switch between holy and prot?
_________________
I reserve the right to refuse service to those that do not read the stickies.
Imbiss
Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:09 am
I would like to stay prot full time, when they put in dual spec, that may change.
Gamingdevil
Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:17 am
Get 540 defense first, the crafted Tempered Saronite set or Tempered Titansteel set is great for this. The Titansteel shield has the highest defense in the game.

If defense is available as an enchant for a slot, put it there, otherwise, get effective health (mostly stamina)

After you have 540 defense and about 22k hp, start gearing for more avoidance/block to get to 102.4% combine miss/dodge/parry/block. That way every hit that flat out doesn't connect will be mitigated by your block value (which is 1500-2000 raid buffed by the time you reach it)

For your badges, get the Libram of Obstruction, then the neck and then maybe some T7.
_________________
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Kroda
Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:38 am
also look for

refined ore gloves boe blue
tattered castle drape boe blue
waistguard of the risen knight boe blue
wapach's spaulders of solidarity boe epic
crusader's square pauldrons

all except Wapach's are very cheap on the ah and readily available.
_________________
Imbiss
Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:28 am
Where can I find some rings and trinkets?
Kroda
Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:40 am
not sure on trinkets, you can get the ring/neck from a JC though but they are pricy
_________________
Majiben
Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:46 am
You don't have to be rich to afford the tempered saronite set, the tempered titansteel set maybe. I would get the tempered titansteel shield first then the head, then finally the boots. Be sure to get the daunting leg and hands.

Check out this guide for a good gear list and this one for a good guide on how to enchant.

I suggest you get revered with wyrmrest to get their excellent boots, chest and cloak. Then revered the AC for their head enchant.

Use 15 of those saved up badges for the libram of obstruction. From there either get the belt or neck.

As far as trinkets go there are no good quest reward ones in wotlk. If you have any from TBC they can hold you over till you get one to drop. Normal HoL, Heroic VH and Heroic AH all have tanking trinkets. Alchemy, engineering and JC all have good tanking trinkets. One last source of pre raid trinkets is a dodge one from emblems.
_________________
I reserve the right to refuse service to those that do not read the stickies.