Skip to content
Maintankadin

Is Heavy Borean Armor Kit the best universal buff to gloves?

Threatco
Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:03 pm

Is Heavy Borean Armor Kit the best universal buff to gloves?

So I all ready know it's basically up to your taste/needs depending on the fight. Age old EH vs Avoidance vs TPS discussion.

But I was whispered by some cocky paladin who pug tanked for some raid my guild did after he had looked me over for flaws, and told me in the most helpful manner "Get the stamina buff to gloves. It's the best for tankadins".

Now my usual response to this is "best" depends on your needs. I currently run with parry + threat enchant

A. For the Enchanting point (453/460)

B. So people respect my TPS authority when they look at omen.

C. Because I am mostly just farming heroics for off set emblem gear and at 27k hp I have no problem pugging.


But.... This has re-opened the debate for me and I need some ammo.

In the average main tank situation. Assuming the average mix of casters/melee/trash/bosses the average good raid/heroic tank faces. What should a tank keep on his best gloves if he was most concerned with wipe prevention.

Heavy Borean Armor Kit
Requires Level 70
Use: Permanently increase the Stamina of an item worn on the head, chest, shoulders, legs, hands or feet by 18.

Armsmen
Permanently enchant gloves to increase threat caused by 2% and increase parry rating by 10. Requires a level 60 or higher item.

Precision
Permanently enchant gloves to increase hit rating by 20. Requires a level 60 or higher item.

Expertise
Permanently enchant gloves to increase expertise rating by 15. Requires a level 60 or higher item.

Crusher
Permanently enchant gloves to increase attack power by 44. Requires a level 60 or higher item.

Exceptional Spellpower
Permanently enchant gloves to increase your spell power by 28. Requires a level 60 or higher item.
Maihes
Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:31 pm
Just by comparing gems you can kinda answer this.

Parry = 16
Expertise = 16
Hit = 16
Stam = 24

That is pure Rare quality gems. So the most item stats of those above mentioned is hit. And with Paladins having quite alot of expertise thanks to glyph + talents + gear the expertise is knocked out.

Looking at an 18 stam option when each gem is at most 24 stam (non JC) kinda a let down on gem ench.

AP gem = 32 AP

So again its better itemized (44 ap) compared to most of the others just like hit. But if threat isn't an issue (and it shouldn't be) then this and hit shouldn't even be brought up.

So for mitigation you have:

Expertise: Ench = 15 Gem = 16
Parry: Ench = 10 Gem = 16
Stam: Ench = 18 Gem = 24

Are you a stamina whore when it comes to gems or do you look at balancing stats. This is another question to look at before you say OOOH STAMINA!

Granted 10 Parry isn't much for a Pally and with being heavy on Expertise already, again Pally may be different.


< Plays a DK this exp. Just food for thought back to lvln my rogue.
Zeels
Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:32 am
You are forgetting about the +15 str enchant
MrDuck
Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:38 am
AGILITAH!!1

(srsly, da bezt)
majiben
Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:32 am
Added +15 str to please myself.
Unholly
Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:35 am
Who cares about 2% threat? Maybe if you're competing with other tanks for some reason, certainly pointless for staying ahead of dps.


STAM STAM STAM!!!111!!1










(bet I log on later and loose aggro on everything now)
Threatco
Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:28 pm
Someone would take 15 str over 18 stam?

:shock:
majiben
Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:30 pm
13 BV is nothing to sneeze at. Besides 15 str is a higher Ilevel.
Threatco
Mon Dec 29, 2008 6:38 pm
But over 18 stam? With all our stam based talents?

Mabey for content where you know you can't die. But then woulden't you wan't crusher or the new fiery? Surely even with SotR bug and best in slot gear, this would still be complete madness. Madness!

(I bet I know who is getting shield plating when it comes out)
majiben
Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:49 am
Why would I be a healing sponge when I could do a little dps and mitigate a decent amount damage? Once you meet the EH requirement additional stamina is just for looks while you can reduce incommming damage with avoidance, BV or armor.
Brute
Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:37 am
out of the stats I felt I needed, stam won out.

If it were itemized equally to the parry then it'd be a tossup, and if the parry were, say, 14 rating, then I would've taken it probably. The threat is just :roll: right now because no one pulls agro on me even if I forget my buff. Keeping up a 969 does a lot of DPS, let alone TPS.

I didn't even look at the str but perhaps it deserves a second look. Not atm though... I'm just barely over 26k and I like it.
majiben
Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:25 am
+240 armor is another viable hand enchant
Celestira
Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:26 am
Any love for +20 agi? That's pretty good by gem itemization standards. I had them on my gloves before I decided to go back to being an all-out stam whore :lol:
thenNATEgoes
Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:53 am
Enchant Gloves - Major Agility

K, it was added to the list, woot.

Edit:
I'm surprised with the amount of people who picked armsmen. As an avoidance stat it's weaker than agility, surely you guys aren't picking it for it's +2% threat?

Must be because it is a cheaper enchant?
majiben
Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:00 am
Added more options
thenNATEgoes
Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:50 am
Majiben wrote:Who did spell power? Where are you so I can come through the modem and slap you!


Goodness, I hoped it was a holy pally >.>

Zeels wrote:I'm still surprised so many chooses armsman.


Yea, same here, I was thinking the same thing. I chalk it down to being because it's relatively cheap... Again, surely I hope they're not picking it for 2% boost in threat with a bit avoidance. Major Agility is hands down the better avoidance enchant, although expensive.

I was personally using the +18 stam enchant on the t7 gloves, and the t7.5 gloves I have now being the only 25man drop I have. I thought it was well worth it to enchant agility.
Elsie
Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:51 am
I only see 20 agility and 18 stam as viable options for best on there. Armsmen is the pauper's 20 agility.

I think someone tried to make 10 parry rating to be better than 18 stam by gem comparisons. Well, 16 parry rating = 24 stamina. This implies 1 parry rating = 1.5 stamina. So 10 parry rating = 15 stamina by a gem's item value.
majiben
Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:29 pm
Eanin wrote:The problem with +15 str, as I see it, is that it is an inferior threat enchant to armsman, an inferior EH enchant to +18 stam, an inferior mitigation enchant to 240 armor and an inferior avoidances enchant to +20 agility.
Yeah but it is the best Dps enchant out there. Also it has no avoidance portion O.o