Skip to content
Maintankadin

540... Now what?

Depredation
Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:39 pm

540... Now what?

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ravencrest&n=Depredation

Hey there. A few things about my gear have been bothering me for a while.. First of all, i have had some illusion about that dodge was superior to block, so as you can see i have about 15% block - WITH the block trinket. Am i on the wrong track?

Another thing that have been bothering me.... When i was geared with full blue from normal 80 dungeons i had almost 560 def... But the more epic gear i get, the less def i get too (does that indicate that def doesnt really matter as long as i stay at, or just above, 540 def?)... So currently i'm sitting at 544 def, and cant use my Essence trinket from AN because i need to wear my def trinket in order to stay at the def Minimum... I feel that i'm on a totaly wrong track with my gear, and i would really appreciate some advises/corrections for my gear.

Thanks in advance!
There is no Cap only a minimum. -Majiben
Healyurself
Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:01 pm
540 is the Minimum, so your fine, the epic gear as less from blues cause blizzard know that you are gonna or have got the item so all the epics from the Raiding will add nicely to the Minimum, when Blue gear you have random combos and you can hit it over it (i have done it as well).
Dodge is something to focus on, as there is no Block rating gems (i think havent seen any on the AH when i check) but compared to dodge vs parry dodge will keep you alive and parry is pointless. So yes you are on the right track as with Holy Shield up you do have 45% to block, so you are fine.
As long as you reach 540Defense and 102.4% Avoidance you are fine.

There is no cap on defense, only a minimum. -Majiben
_________________
Healyurself - 80 - Protection - Shadowsong EU
Helpunot
Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:09 pm
Its been a couple of weeks since this happened, but I figured I'd post my experience here as well.

I am one of the MT's for a server first everything guild, and the one that tanks almost everything (except sarth, GG 32k flame breaths when I am at 28.5 w/ 3 drakes debuff). I originally went for straight defense + stam. Then one week I got like 3 drops out of Heroic Naxx that had a shit ton of block rating on them. I was at like 90% ish overall avoidance before then and I spent a day working the gear out. Turns out that I could hit 102.4+ easily enough, but I could not get the 540 defense rating again without sacrificing about 1600 hp. Not to mention I would no longer be unhittable (ie: nothing gets through the shield).

Imo, so long as I am up against a boss that does not stun, knock me down, or can otherwise bypass my HS there is no reason at this point of the game to keep 540 defense except to increase my overall avoidance. And with my experiences, pure stam > 540 defense when you cannot be crit anyways (unhittable). I now sit at 40k fully buffed and have not been gibbed or dropped on any boss after weeks of farming plus am the tank of choice for any such encounters. (WTB new harder content as I know the current content is in no way a gauge of whether my choices are good ones, rather I think they are great for right now and 40k is some nice eye candy.)

And yes, I do still have the capability of getting 540 defense IF I need it.
Lore
Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:36 pm
Mob spells don't crit.

You can get away with being under 540 defense, but with itemization how it is you have to make some really poor gearing choices to stay there for long. Especially if you're at 102.4%.
_________________
And the emperor still wears no clothes...