Skip to content
Maintankadin

Avoidance too low?

hoho
Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:58 am

Avoidance too low?

This is my alt-tankadin. Unfortunately I don't have too much time working on him as I'm raiding on my main mostly. If I remember right and macro worked correctly my combined avoidance+block with holy shield was ~80%. I've been tanking a few heroics and have mostly handeled them pretty well so I guess it's OK for those.

I'm not sure if this is enough for Naxx though. HP/armor wise I should be good enough and I can cap my defense by replacing commedation with Empyrean Tortoise at a cost of some stamina. I know my belt and wrists are still L70 epics but there doesn't seem to be worthy replacements that are easy to get and would be better than those. I've only got 38 emblems so far so it will take a loooong time to use them to get decent upgrades.

So, assuming an average 10-man naxx pug healer, would I be good enough for at least offtanking or would I be way too big manasponge with that low avoidance?
Majiben
Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:19 am
You'll work for naxx. Your lvl 70 gear needs desperately to go.

I would get the tempered saronite bracers as a replacement. I would also forsake all your lvl 70 trinkets since you are a JC. Make the ruby hare and socket it with two +16 defense trinkets if you still need the defense (the bracer swap may make it unnecessary). Any of these rings can replace your old lvl 70 one. This ring and thos one stand out as good quest reward rings.

You need to change your shield enchant. +20 defense is really the only choice. Make sure your next badge reward is the BV libram. It's a lot of mitigation and threat.
_________________
I reserve the right to refuse service to those that do not read the stickies.
hoho
Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:44 am
Heh, I seem to have logged out in my "soloing-gear"*, I have the solid platinum ring replacing the L70 one while tanking. I haven't got the Staunch Signet yet as I kind of hate Oculus. I might make myself the JC ring though.
*) I only change the ring

Ruby hare is an option and not at all a bad one, I'm not really sure why I haven't got it yet. Thanks for reminding me of it Smile

Tempered saronite bracers are also pretty good, I think I first saw them having rougly equal or even lower EH to mine and as I was crit-immune I thought they aren't too big of an upgrade. Though they have tons of defense and therefore they beat my current ones in avoidance by a mile. I'll definitely get those.

As for shield enchant, you are again right, defense would be better. I should get enough stamina in the next patch with the new weapon/bracer enchants Smile


But what about the belt? Tempered saronite seems like roughly equal to current one as it doesn't have sockets. With current gems I'm only a couple of points of defense lower than the crafted thing. Though maybe I should still get the belt and use JC gems in other sockets to get more stats overall.

So overall I seem to be focusing on EH a bit too much while not paying attention to avoidance through defense.
Majiben
Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:58 am
You're right to think that the tempered saronite belt is a minor upgrade to your current belt. This BoE belt is a clear upgrade that you should scan the AH for all the time. If you get enough badges before you can find that belt for sale on the AH you could always buy the emblem belt.
_________________
I reserve the right to refuse service to those that do not read the stickies.
Majiben
Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:16 am
The loss in defens is too severe for you to change your cloak.

Have you considered the daunting gloves?. There's also the T7 gloves.

The wyrm rest have a high defense chest piece for those at revered.

I also highly recommend using the titansteel shield over the CoS shield. More of the budget is spent on defensive stats.

Can't comment too much on bracers as I went straight from the tempered ones to the naxx trash ones.

I also notice you chose + 6 stats over +12 defense for your bracers. If you're hurting for defense, defense is prefered. I also notice your shoulders are unenchanted. One last enchant that people often miss is the old TBC +8 defense armor kit. It's a viable enchant for the glove slot but I would recommend gemming for defense first. Make sure that you are putting a defense gem in your colorless belt slot.
_________________
I reserve the right to refuse service to those that do not read the stickies.