Skip to content
Maintankadin

going oom in heroics

phaqueue
Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:26 pm
can't view armory at work... but here are the reasons why people go OOM in heroics:

Aren't using Blessing of Sanctuary
this is the big one... most pally tanks I see go oom in heroics are making this mistake... sanc is your buff of choice for heroics... unless you so vastly undergear the content that you are taking tons of damage and getting enough mana through SA to not need it (in which case... you are way undergeared)

[b]Aren't tanking enough things[b/]
is your health bar staying full the whole time? not getting back mana from SA from heals? you need to tank more mobs... pull more or stop CCing...

these are the 2 big ones... also - make sure you are using pallyvate every cooldown... it's 1 minute... with this - you should never have mana problems... no matter your gear
_________________
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" -Douglas Adams
Spamdrew
Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:40 pm
Also remember that you are the tank. This means that sometimes you have start cutting back on dpsing after you have generated a good threat lead. Remember the second consecrate is a luxury that sometimes you can't afford and don't really need. But yea apart from that sanctuary and pallyvate ftw.
_________________
niki1
Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:17 pm
ty 4 da davice is der anything i should work on gear wise?
Majiben
Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:14 pm
No clue since you didn't include a link to your armory.
_________________
I reserve the right to refuse service to those that do not read the stickies.
Threatco
Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:26 pm
You could.

Spec Benediction.

Don't spec kings.

Use Judge, bash, hammer, bash, other, bash [repeat] rotation.

Don't forget your mana regen skills.

Cheap BC pots are effective for us.

SA glyph.

Judge light and seal twist wisdom/corruption

Bring shamans, paladins, spriests, mages.
_________________

Limitation strictly defined by motivation - Edan
Warning. I edit my posts.
phaqueue
Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:59 pm
All good ideas from threatco...

I have noticed the biggest killer of my mana regen... even with sanc up... is crowd control

I only crowd control if it's absolutely necessary (read - if not CCing the pull will kill me - haven't found any of them yet as long as your healer is compotent)

basically - CC kills your mana regen... more things hitting you means more damage taken (mana from SA healing) and more things blocked/dodged/parried so more mana from Sanc...
_________________
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" -Douglas Adams
kp3t3houg
Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:34 pm
im having the same problem only if i run with Paladin healer. Some of them are using Sacred Shield on me all the time, and the shield absorbs almost 2k dmg every 5 secs, so i basiclt barely take any dmg Smile
_________________
phaqueue
Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:45 pm
if you're having the problem with taking too little damage cause of SS - pull more - at worst - you will take a little more damage... but at least it will give you more incoming hits to block/dodge/parry for more mana from sanc
_________________
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" -Douglas Adams
Knaughty
Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:10 pm
Benediction/SA Glyph/etc are all known as: Speccing and glyphing for easy content

Then you go do hard content.... and you're specced and glyphed wrong.

I'm about 3 pieces from "full 25-man epics", mostly best-in-slot. And my three "bad pieces" are still epics.

I have no mana efficiency glyphs or talents. I do not go OOM.

How to run heroics you outgear, 101

• Put up Sanctuary instead of Kings.
• Stop using CC.
• Pull more.

The end

If SA+ Sanc aren't returning enough mana, you're not tanking enough. Start tanking more, and taking more damage.

It boggles the mind that people can be going OOM. I never have this problem, and I have better gear than 97.327%† of the people complaining about going OOM. I drink a couple of times per instance, once at the start after buffing, occasionally before a boss, no other time.


† Scientifically tested number I pulled out of my ass.
_________________
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum.
Knaughty
Naxx-25 15/15 pre-buff
Holyday
Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:33 pm
All of the above and Divine Plea was a godsend. Use it.
_________________
azraelfrost
Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:03 pm
Completely agree with Knaughty.

I was used to tanking in BC and got myself 3 stacks of Water-watchamacallit-thingies. That was like 4 weeks ago when I hit 80 and I still have 1 stack and 18 in my inventory. At most I have to drink 4-5 times in an instance - usually when I choose to rebuff or to be at max mana before a boss pull.

Honestly, the WotLK heroics are in no way to compare to the BC heroics. Trash is way easier to take. Bosses hit hard and you should get enough mana from SA, just pull some more trash and and have BoSanc up all the time.

I must admit I actually did specc BoK but it was more that I didn't know what to expect in raid instances that made me specc it and now I am sticking with it as we don't always bring that Retri with us that has it specced too. But if I run instances I never buff myself with anything but BoSanc. (I must admit though that I took Benediction but will think about going back to SotP after the next patch.)
_________________
Threatco
Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:22 pm
I agree that most (95%) of the time onheroic 5 man content that the 3 things knaughty said is enough. But 5% of the time its not.

3% = To many casters to round up, too few melee attacks.
2% = Many bosses who do too few melee hits and have more spread out aoe damage then focused on the tank (less SA)

First case think the first few pulls of oculus. Nothing but caster dragons who are almost impossible to round up so you have to drop all your highest cost skills to keep aggro.

Second is fights like oh say magistra from nexus. Spend all my time flying around taking magic damage can pinch my mana.

100% agree this is not for 10 or 25 man content. But for people paying their heoric dues its not hard to switch spec and glyphs as needed.

And although debatable I would say you lose next to nothing for getting it the talents/glyph. The best for raid ret talents seem clear but outside of raiding there is alot of flexability with those ret points.

Every time I try to use a spell and I hear my whiney blood elf say "I don't have enough mana!" I go into nerdrage. Preventing this from happening on my endless heroic grinds out weighs possibly being able to survive the same content with lesser healers. I think that is what the OP is thinking too.

So in the end yes, it is easy content speccing. But doesen't mean you shouldent spec it for easy content Wink
_________________

Limitation strictly defined by motivation - Edan
Warning. I edit my posts.