Skip to content
Maintankadin

From Warrior to Pally in WOLK have some general questions

Nognoma
Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:28 am

From Warrior to Pally in WOLK have some general questions

Name is Nognoma now used to be Gnomacidal on Elder Thalus. I decided to reroll a prot pally for Wolk. In BC on my warrior I had the opportunity to Tank most of the content something like 5/5 Mh and 7/9 Bt. When I looked at gear I broke most of it down between threat, midigation and avoidance sets. Does this now hold true for tankadins in general now as well?

My armory page is:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Eldre%27Thalas&n=Nognoma

I have alot of avoidance gear on atp based on armor and stam upgrades. I am still running heroics on a daily basis but my healers are starting to dps cause its either that or stand there whistling dixxy sometimes. Also is this going to start running me into mana problems cause I really don't want to sit and drink after every pull? Should I be looking for a complete shield block set for heroic clears and raid trash clears then build another set for raid boss tanking?

If there is a post that covers this I will be more then happy to delete this and start using the information from there.
Janduin
Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:40 am
If you know how to play a warrior tank you shouldn't have too many problems playing a prot paladin. You should check the stickies for details about our abilities.

Quick things off the top of my head you should know about gearing:

1) 2 strength gives 1 BV now. We have a shield slam we get at level 75, so this is the same for warriors and paladins, str = threat and mitigation in one stat. It also of course gives AP, which = threat on other abilities. We leads me to:

2) We don't wear spellpower gear anymore. Any plate with SP on it is healing gear

3) Hit and Str/AP are our threat stats, most of our abilities, including our shield slam, cannot be dodged or parried. Expertise isn't bad if it is already on gear, but do not look for it or enchant/gem for it, it is a crappy stat for us.

4) Due to holy shield's CD and number of charges, we are the only class which can feasibly block 100% of incoming hits all the time. This allows you, in a melee setting, to basically add a few times your BV to your EH. Thus, we try to get block capped (the new word for uncrushable) with holy shield up, and may focus a bit more on block rating and defense relative to how one would gear as a warrior. This doesn't mean we totally adulterate our avoidance to get there, there is of course a balance. But our class advantage is to become "unhittable" so it certainly should be a goal once you start getting naxx gear.

Final note: If you are going oom tanking use Blessing of Sanctuary and/or pull more mobs.

Building a block value set for threat/trash and a MT set is typical practice.
_________________
Igrado
Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:10 pm
Your Gear is Great.
Your Spec is Solid. (consider dropping reckoning for Kings 5/5)
Buff Blessing of Sanctuary
Pull More Mobs.
Nice Troll.
_________________
Nognoma
Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:24 pm
Yeah I have been reading a bit today and figured I was going to get called out sooner or later for not being 5/5 kings lawl......Thing is my guild only raids 3 days a week and we have 2 reliable rets and 3-4 holy pallys....I know the rets are at least kings speced so I thought I would put more points into situtional talents and threat talents.