Skip to content
Maintankadin

Block Cap Template

Havén
Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:47 pm

Block Cap Template

So,

I am feeling fairly frustrated. I have been playing around with my gear to try and reach the block cap using heroic and badge gear. Is is possible to get the block cap purely with heroic and badge loot gear?

Can any1 slap together a template?

I'm a big believer in straight upgrades. I don't like big changes that means i have to re-gem to fix defence cap etc. I'm pretty comfortable with my gear i have 27k HP and am MT in Naxx, but i would rather be relaxed. I keep looking at loot tables and sighing at the loss in something to gain a little, its like playing on a see-saw.
_________________
Majiben
Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:52 pm
Yes it is possible and no you shouldn't try. There was someone in the forum below who wrote up a list if you feel like looking for it
_________________
I made a port to exodar. My friend proceeds to MD Alar onto the AFK tank, and we both run. People ran with us, until the port, and realised it was to exodar. Only three of us went through. Turns out people would rather die than go to exodar. -Infurnus
Tullock
Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:52 am
If you took my gear and swapped the stam trinket for the block rating trinket from violet hold, i bet i would be block capped while raid buffed. Though it took alot of heroics to get all this stuff together i did it with no naxx drops. Im something like 4% off according to tankadin, so if you pad that 2% for the harsh and hard to calculate diminishing return on miss, lets say 6% off unbuffed. Im certain i could come up with 6% through that trinket, a dodge + def elixir, motw, kings, and SoE totem/horn of winter.


Edit: Tullock of azjol-nerub, human paladin, if you want to armory me.
Valoel
Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:12 am
block capped (click sig)
_________________
Holyfuri
Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:53 am
I have a question on stat balancing with regards to block capping.

First off, I have been playing with some enchants/gems, so the armory might not show me in perfect gear.

I am about half geared from raids as well as some badge/heroic gear. I still have a blue helm, blue bracers, and my BC stam trinket however.

My question is this. As I have been getting more upgrades, I have primarily ensured that I maintain the defense cap. Through my upgrades my stamina, dodge, parry, and armor have steadily rose. On the downside my block rating has hardly moved, as well as my block value. Because of this I am still quite a ways away from being block capped (in recent typical gear I believe it's around 90%).

Up to this point I have kept all of my block gear I recieved and can get up to about 97% with all block gear along with about 300 extra block value, but my health and avoidance take a pretty large hit. I honestly haven't tried to focus on being block capped yet, as I figured as long as I have some block gear with me I can get there when the gear comes.

This has basically been my strategy for gearing thus far, and am curious about how much I could sacrafice to get close to the block cap. As of right now our healers really don't have any trouble keeping me up, and maybe it's a bleedover from my BC raiding days, but it hurts to drop that much avoidance just to get block capped.

PS: largest question in my mind right now is the boots from Anub which have loads of block rating, block value, etc. but I take about a 700 hp drop in taking that. Usually a small stam drop doesn't bother me, but right now it just doesn't seem worth it.
_________________
Edc
Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:20 pm
Well you need to consider about how important you value to be block capped over other stats. In the end a mix of all trades is still the best to go as a tank. If you end up sacrificing to much to hit that cap, then don't do it, but when you can get it without to much sacrifice on other stats (mainly stam, since pure avoidance does contribute to being blockcapped) then I would say go for it, because being block capped lowers incoming hits passively with your blockvalue (assuming you are capable to keep up holy shield 24/7)
_________________
Paladin / 70 / Sylvanas
Daenerys
Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:09 pm
This is a noob question, and I've asked it before, but I'm trying to figure out just how to calculate "block cap".. I see people claiming to be block capped, but I add up their avoidance + holy shield and it's only like 90%. What am I supposed to be adding up? I had thought that it was dodge+parry+block+Holy Shield = 102.4%? (and if so, it seems nigh impossible to get block capped right now) If not, what else am I suppose to calculate into the equation?

My old level 70 macro gives me around ~96-98% avoidance (was 98 before but I lost a little, will gain more once I finally get Lavanthor's Talisman to drop) but if I manully add up my avoidance, it's only like 87%. What am I missing?
_________________


**Currently 0/20 on Lavanthor's Talisman.