Skip to content
Maintankadin

Goddamn shields...

Kelarik
Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:00 pm

Goddamn shields...

I've hit a wall... a mostly flat wall made from sheet titansteel...

I've got 2 shields at my disposal (and a potential 3rd) but I've got absolutely no idea which to go with. Titansteel Shield Wall, Royal Crest of Lordaeron (dropped tonight, yeay!), and I've enough spare badges to take Crygil's Discarded Plate Panel.

There's next to nothing between all these in terms of stats. They all have the same armour and block, Crygil's has the exact same Stamina and Strength as the Royal Crest, where Titansteel's down 2 Strength and 6 Stamina.

Then when you look at mitigation, Titansteel has the most defense (64), then Crest (49), and Crygil last (34). Crygil's is the only that offers pure avoidance in the form of 33 Dodge rating, while both Crygil's and Crest offer 25 hit rating.

I'm slightly leaning towards Crygil's because of the extra avoidance since I'm uncrittable with all of them, but is it really worth 35 badges when T7 gloves and chest still have to be bought?

I'm lost -.-
aleyona
Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:35 pm
This is really a simple choice. Royal crest has more stam, and more avoidance than titansteel. titansteel is great if you need the defense to hit Minimum - but if you don't have that issue there's not much point.

As for Crygil's well... it's just a waste of badges imo

Please stop the spread of misinformation by using the the term "Defense cap." There is no cap, just a minimum -Majiben
rodos
Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:18 pm
Well, you already have two very-nice-for-the-ilevel shields. Spending badges on a third seems silly. Unless your gloves and chest are already good, buying the T7 pieces would probably be more bang-per-badge.
Veilan
Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:24 pm
Started using Titansteel, then moved to Lordaeron as it dropped (note: getting Titansteel forged guarantees a Lordaeron drop within the next 1-2 days) as I was comfortable with the def, and I would move to the badge shield over the Lordaeron one if I hadn't just wasted my badges on this yummy staff. With this formula, I wager it'll make love to me long time :shock:.

So, option three.
Threatco
Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:36 am
I lost count of my H strat runs and still like 5 "greeds" and a couple others but no shield!

/slit wrists
Saeverud
Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:11 am
I found Crygil's to be more useful for myself. I didn't need the extra defense, and Crygil's offered more pure avoidance than the Lordaeron shield. I also had issues getting the Lordaeron crest to drop, so spending the ample supply of badges for it was alot easier. Titansteel shield is pretty crap unless you're severely lacking in defense.
MrDuck
Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:12 am
Royal crest, definitely.

Simply 'cos it looks so great, i have lotsa badges to spare, got my T7 gloves+chest, yet i just can't go and replace the uber uber leet "L" on tha shield :>
Gamingdevil
Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:58 am
In terms of avoidance the Discarded Panel is definately the best, but if you still have to buy T7, then you should get those first and use the Royal Crest for now.
degre
Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:41 am
Whatever please your eyes, cause there are plenty of ugly shields afterwards... -.-'


Invis covered the serious part pretty well, 'nuff said.
Barathorn
Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:07 am
Saeverud wrote:Titansteel shield is pretty crap unless you're severely lacking in defense.


I disagree, its a guarenteed item, no waiting on Random loot and it has huge defence, which when you start moving into T7 gear you will need due to T7 having more avoidance and less defence. Dismiss this shield at your peril for that reason alone. I picked it straight away as I considered it easy to get and it has the best longevity as far as I am concerned.

I think Titansteel is the safest bet personally, but I also agree with Invis in that everyone's situation and needs are different.

Barathorn
ulushnar
Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:39 am
The Titansteel Shield Wall is the best use of Titansteel for a Tankadin. It's a healthy chunk of +defense which lets me swap the Loken trinket for the Lavanthor one to help with block-capping. The fact you can get it as soon as you hit 70 without relying on the RNG makes it just awesome.
degre
Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:41 am
Ulushnar wrote:The Titansteel Shield Wall is the best use of Titansteel for a Tankadin. It's a healthy chunk of +defense which lets me swap the Loken trinket for the Lavanthor one to help with block-capping. The fact you can get it as soon as you hit 70 without relying on the RNG makes it just awesome.

Stop wearing your skirt with this weather, it distracts you :P
ulushnar
Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:29 am
degre wrote:
Ulushnar wrote:The Titansteel Shield Wall is the best use of Titansteel for a Tankadin. It's a healthy chunk of +defense which lets me swap the Loken trinket for the Lavanthor one to help with block-capping. The fact you can get it as soon as you hit 70 without relying on the RNG makes it just awesome.

Stop wearing your skirt with this weather, it distracts you :P


Thank you. Your input is both valued and insightful.
Macktruck
Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:38 am
[quote="degre"]Whatever please your eyes, cause there are plenty of ugly shields afterwards... -.-'
[quote]

Sry but Hero's Surrender is the best looking shield. Don't be spreading lies lol.

I made the titansteel shield wall when I was ~78 and equipped it the second I hit 80. Shields always of course provide the biggest chunks of armor, and I upgraded from KHH. I net increase of ~2k armor was huge. Plus the fact that it's craftable and it is very useful until you get a better shield. It's worth every penny starting out.

I would definitely go with Lordaeron's Crest for two reasons:

1. I'm guessing you're currently not running Naxx or do not want to wait for the drops (You wanna guarantee the loot and not rely on RNG).

2. Badges can be spent elsewhere. Ignore the ~1% dodge on the Crygil's. Spend your badges elsewhere. Get your shield upgrade from Naxx if you can.
Eleveneleven
Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:18 pm
Lore wrote:Lore how could you spread the misinformation? Defense minimum never a cap. This is a sad day :cry: - Majiben


Defense has a SOFT cap, which is defined at the point where it no longer effectively reduces crit chance on the mob +3 levels above you. If someone just says defense cap, do not assume they are meaning a HARD cap, unless they actually think it's useless to go beyond 540. If you were to read Lore's post correctly, you would see that he obviously knows that def is soft capped at 540. There is NOTHING wrong with the term cap as long as it doesn't follow the word hard.
majiben
Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:07 pm
Eleveneleven wrote:
Lore wrote:Lore how could you spread the misinformation? Defense minimum never a cap. This is a sad day :cry: - Majiben


Defense has a SOFT cap, which is defined at the point where it no longer effectively reduces crit chance on the mob +3 levels above you. If someone just says defense cap, do not assume they are meaning a HARD cap, unless they actually think it's useless to go beyond 540. If you were to read Lore's post correctly, you would see that he obviously knows that def is soft capped at 540. There is NOTHING wrong with the term cap as long as it doesn't follow the word hard.
Actually there is an issue with the term for ever being used. It carries misconceptions with it that are damaging to new tanks and tanks who don't frequent theory crafting sites. I'm sure there are more "tanks" out there that think going past 540 is bad than there are those actually aware of the mechanics. I have nothing wrong with the term crit cap but I will fight the usage of crit cap tooth and nail for the health of the tanking community. I'm sure it was a slip of the tounge (finger?) for lore to use the term but it was damaging for him to do so exspecially as a tanking celebrity that many look up to.
Treck
Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:05 am
Sry but Hero's Surrender is the best looking shield. Don't be spreading lies lol.


Cardoor of Azzinoth is STILL the no1 for looks!
Maly shield is a fair equivalent.
Altho, Pure statwise, Hero's Surrender wins for Pallytanks imo. Its hardly a shield, tbh would have thoughtit would be some offhand for mages/warlocks if i didnt know it was a shield.
Atleast give us a huge 90degree turned shield in Ulduar then!