Skip to content
Maintankadin

Need gear erm "proofreading"?

Dokidoki
Sun Dec 14, 2008 6:22 am

Need gear erm "proofreading"?

Hey I try to read through these forums a lot and get the general consensus on gearing and such as well as experiment on my own.

here is me: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Blackrock&n=Makkoto

I havent been 80 too long and Im slowly working to replace starter gear with "real" gear. Im currently doing heroic UP and heroic VH every day to get both the sword and the pants so I already know that. (also why my axe isnt chanted, since I plan on replacing it soon)

NOTE: I've been basically trying to stay right at 540 and move gear around when I dip below to keep me there, other than that Im aiming to get block capped, I think Im about 6% off (could be wrong). I DO plan on buyin the badge neck ASAP

Does this all sound okay? Is stacking def past 540 a good idea? what do I do once I get block capped, go for more avoidance or more stam?

Im basically looking to see if theres anything inherently bad about how I've geared or if anyone has any suggestions on how I might improve things.
Threatco
Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:44 pm
I can't see armory at work. But based on what you have said your doing fine.

Consider getting hodir/argent rep for your new buffs. You can dip to 535 defense for heroics (level 72 boss) if you get good returns.

Defense is a great stat even after your are safe from critical strikes. It can reduce damage taken by a little more or a little less then dodge rating depending on a few things. Your block value, how hard the boss hits, and how much you are suffering from diminishing returns.

In another post I had done some number crunching myself, and though it could be wrong here is what I got.

To get 1% reduction in damage taken you need this much rating. (Before diminishing returns)

1% pure avoidance = 1% reduction in damage

I give a value showing defense if you did not block any damage (or just the pure avoidance from it). And then another value based on a blocked attack reducing damage by 15% on a boss.

Rating/1% Reduction
--------
49.185 Parry
40.986 Defense (Blocking for 0% of damage)
39.348 Dodge
39.0325 Defense (Blocking for 15% of damage)

_________________

Limitation strictly defined by motivation - Edan
Warning. I edit my posts.
Dokidoki
Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:48 am
okay so I realized after posting this that it sounded like a bunch of incoherent rambling with no clear cut question.

So heres my problem. There are 2 upgrades left out of heroics for me. The pants out of heroic VH, and the sword out of heroic UP. I would like to be block capped before I do any more raiding.

Last time I checked I was about 6% shy of block cap. Can someone please tell me what to do to or if it is possible for me to squeeze in that last 6% to get block capped or will I be taking too big a hit to my stam/etc.

NOTE: as of this time I had to heal for someone so armory is fubar. Will try to get it back to prot asap
Majiben
Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:08 am
Trying to be block capped before raiding is detrimental. You do realize that Naxx and heroics are at the same diffiulty? You do realize that the first two wings can be done by people in full blues?
_________________
I made a port to exodar. My friend proceeds to MD Alar onto the AFK tank, and we both run. People ran with us, until the port, and realised it was to exodar. Only three of us went through. Turns out people would rather die than go to exodar. -Infurnus
Dokidoki
Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:39 am
yes I understand what you're saying mr. frog, but I guess what Im having a hard time seeing is, how the hell can you get block capped pre raids?? (even naxx 10)

Im guessing that it's only possible at the cost of an immense amount of stam which Im really not okay with. As much of a return as block capping is, you cant raid with 20k hp, that's a joke.

I have 2 pieces of gear that are more or less end game at this point out of 25 man naxx and Im still not block capped.

Another question I have is should I toss engineering for jewelcrafting?

my friend is getting like 3k more hp from his trinkets whereas the engineering goggles are debatably worse than the lesser t7 goggles. Hell even going to the titansteel helm would be barely a decrease.