Skip to content
Maintankadin

How much Rating to get 1% damage reduction in entry heroics.

Threatco
Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:44 pm

How much Rating to get 1% damage reduction in entry heroics.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37179
Infantry Assault Blade
Binds when picked upOne-Hand Sword
237 - 440 Damage Speed 2.60
(130.2 damage per second)
+24 Strength
+49 Stamina
Durability 90 / 90
Requires Level 80
Equip: Increases defense rating by 33 (6.71 @ L80).
Equip: Increases your expertise rating by 19 (2.32 @ L80).


http://www.wowhead.com/?item=36984
Eternally Folded Blade
Binds when picked upOne-Hand Sword
134 - 250 Damage Speed 1.60
(120.0 damage per second)
+29 Strength
+45 Stamina
Durability 90 / 90
Requires Level 78
Equip: Increases defense rating by 22 (5.18 @ L78).
Equip: Increases your parry rating by 16 (0.38% @ L78).


Obviously the extra 4 stamina 10.2 DPS and 11 defense rating makes the Assault blade better overall.

But consider if you were in my gear, in a heroic boss fight where survivability is of most concern, and I am at 554 defense (well past minimum) and threat is 0 concern.

Would you put on put on the Eternally Folded Blade for the 16 parry rating? or is 4 stam + 11 defense rating (post minimum) > 16 parry rating?


It's so close that it's almost not worth having the folded blade in in bags to have the option. But this is at the root of my lack of understanding of how good defense is compared to other stats post cap.

Any want to venture a rough gusse at what ratio you value defense (post minimum) over parry rating?

is it like 1 defense = 1.8 dodge = 2.0 parry.

Am I close?

Thanks! :P

Please use the term minimum rather than cap when refering to 540 defense - Majiben
guillex
Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:45 pm
The extra defense rating, remember, is adding to your overall mitigation/avoidance.

The parry rating adds only to parry.

I'd go with the extra defense.
Threatco
Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:25 am
I dug around to try and find the answer. Came across this in the stickies.

[Wotlk] Maintankadin 101 - Winchester.
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... hp?t=15212
Image


Big twist there with the comment 'However block is only a partial avoidance'. Now it depends on how hard the boss hit's and how high my BV is. Here is some rough work on me trying to figure this out.

122.96 Defense Rating = 1% Miss/Dodge/Parry/Block/

40.99 Defense Rating = 1% pure avoidance +[ (1/3) % block mitigation]

http://www.tankspot.com/forums/f125/416 ... guide.html says heroic Ingvar does 5k white damage.

I think more like 6k.

About 900 BV

900/6000 = 15% reduction

1/4 of 122.96 only gets 15% reduction instead of 100%


Parry Rating 196.740 = 4.00%
Dodge Rating 157.296 = 4.00%

Defense Rating 122.96 = 3.15%
Defense Rating 156.13 = 4.00%


Rating/1% Reduction
--------
49.185 Parry
40.986 Defense (Blocking 0% damage)
39.348 Dodge
39.0325 Defense (Blocking 15% damage)




Assumed is post crit cap and pre block cap. And no diminishing returns.

I'll try to clean this up more when I get a chance. Does this seem like I have my numbers straight?

I am not at home to test so that 15% reduction on blocks could be way off.