Skip to content
Maintankadin

Titansteel. Do I need it?

Threatco
Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:20 am

Titansteel. Do I need it?

So I'm a miner and I can make this stuff my self. Not sure if I need it or should just sell the cool downs. The purple shield seems like it's expensive enough to just wait for a better one from something else.
phaqueue
Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:41 am
Just picked up my titansteel Ret stuff (mace, helm, boots)

Still debating on the tanking gear tho... I really don't like the fact that the helm doesn't have a meta socket... and I picked up the shield from Heroic: CoT Strath... so I don't really see the point to the titansteel shield either...

I think it's definitely possible to replace the Titansteel tanking stuff pretty easily... so I would say sell the cooldown while it's expensive (or get the mats, make and sell bars) then when the rush dies some - if you still want the gear... pick it up at that time...

there's definitely some good gold to be made selling the bars on my server...
HinataDestiny
Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:47 am
The tanking stuff is really nice for getting 540 Def faster than the blues but you will be looking at downgrades on defense from the epics you will see
majiben
Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:06 am
Completely worth it. See if there are any friendly miners /BS in your guild too. What I did was give three of my CDs to another tank in the guild who in turn gave me 5 of his which helped both of us gear up faster than if we had gone in alone. He was 80 already while I was still leveling when this deal was struck.

The titansteel pieces have less than their tempered saronite counter parts but are a huge boost to stamina and armor. Use all the wotlk armor enchants and it shouldn't be an issue.
phaqueue
Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:44 am
Seen somewhere arcane shielded helm ranked higher that Titansteel tanking helm... thoughts?

I'm pretty sure it has at least in part to do with the meta slot on the arcane (IIRC it has a meta slot)

what is the general consensus on the stats needed to overcome the lack of a meta socket?

just wondering...
majiben
Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:28 am
If gemmed properly the arcane shielded helm is better over all by a small margin. Of course part of the issue is that one is a drop and the other is crafted.
Lewyn
Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:45 pm
made my shield the day I hit 440 and I never looked back. But that's because I have horrible luck with drops and haven't seen the shield drop yet in CoS even though I've done it nearly everyday.
Veilan
Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:34 pm
The titansteel shield was my first WotlK epic. In hindsight, it feels I only had it crafted to guarantee the Strath shield to drop. Such are the laws of probability.

I find the titansteel gear generally useful for a little later than just 80, when you have the defense covered, and the armour and stamina becomes really neat.
majiben
Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:29 am
kenshin648 wrote:It may be good to make/have someone else make the Titansteel Bonecrusher.

Anyone else feel like seconding this?
Definetly not for tanking, and not for dpsing as ret. A very costly subpar piece for tanking.
Pallypete
Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:24 pm
I had the shield and the boots made (didn't get helm cause I'm an engineer and made goggles). I definitely don't regret it, simply because I've always liked being as geared as absolutely possible even if it costs me a good chunk of gold. I've been running heroics but relying on drops just plain sucks, and I've taken several beatings in a few of them that I'm quite sure I wouldn't have survived without all the extra stam/armour from my epics. If the Stratholme shield drops, I'll use that for maintanking, but I'll hang on to the Titansteel one to put a shield spike on or something.
shindo1234
Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:54 pm

Re: Titansteel. Do I need it?

get the titansteel shield until u can get a better one, like the one in H COS (that one is SEXY)
halabar
Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:30 pm
Majiben wrote:
kenshin648 wrote:It may be good to make/have someone else make the Titansteel Bonecrusher.

Anyone else feel like seconding this?
Definetly not for tanking, and not for dpsing as ret. A very costly subpar piece for tanking.


But the spreadsheet is showing it very high on threat?.. we don't want threat?.. or is the the lack of +def?
majiben
Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:58 pm
The lack of defensive stats (not defense itself) is a big no no. Yes It might be able to do 25 more tps than the red sword of courage but you've lost a good chunk of avoidance and mitigation. And that additional 25 tps is mostly wasted unless it's the difference between your dps pulling aggro and not (not going to be the case). The largest blow against it really has to be that it costs a lot and it's benifits, while not unwelcomed, don't enhance your ability to tank as opposed to a blue lvl 74 tanking weapon.
Brand
Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:21 am
Majiben wrote:The lack of defensive stats (not defense itself) is a big no no. Yes It might be able to do 25 more tps than the red sword of courage but you've lost a good chunk of avoidance and mitigation. And that additional 25 tps is mostly wasted unless it's the difference between your dps pulling aggro and not (not going to be the case). The largest blow against it really has to be that it costs a lot and it's benifits, while not unwelcomed, don't enhance your ability to tank as opposed to a blue lvl 74 tanking weapon.


Also, by having straight AP instead of Str takes a little away from our scaling threat stat and the additional BV we would have gotten (something like 11 or 12 BV from RSoC). Doesn't seem like much, but having more of a versatile and scalable stat is much better than having a bit more of a non-scalable and non-versatile stat, IMO.
Thornir
Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:59 am
Titansteel is about Stamina stacking. Its not good for much else.

Tempered Saronite and Daunting are much better for Defense, And give a suitable amount of Stamina with it, so I'm sticking with that.

Really, the only Titansteel piece i can see myself getting is the shield, and that's only til the CoT drop.
majiben
Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:41 am
You're missing out on a lot of armor doing that.