Skip to content
Maintankadin

Trinket decisions?

kensanity
Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:14 am

Trinket decisions?

My character is
obamantwan on Alliance Frostwolf (US)

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Frostwolf&n=Obamantwan

Anyway, I've tanked some 25 man stuff and 10 man nax in WOTLK.

I haven't received any upgrades yet, but I'm at the point where i'm looking to get more avoidance as opposed to defense.

My usual tanking trinket choices are the following:

Seal of Pantheon
Commendation of Kael Thalas

while tanking heroics today, the Essence of Gossamer dropped.

Also, I was able to make the figurine monarch crab, but as i dont know what to choose as a trinket, i've yet to gem it.

My questions are:

A) is the Essence of Gossamer a "better" trinket than the Seal of Pantheon?

B) Is the figurine Monarch Crab a worthy replacement for the Commendation of Kaelthalas or the Seal of Pantheon? (I ask this because I can gem to Dragonseye Defense Gems x 2 to make up for the lost defense from losing Seal of Pantheon)

C) At my gear level, (maintanking all 10 man content and trying to get into 25 man content) which 2 trinkets should I use most often?
Majiben
Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:32 am
The JC Crab and seal of the pantheon combination is the stongest pair. I suggest you socket the crab with 1 24 stam gem and a +41 stam JC gem. The trinket will net you a 137 stam and a powerful on use ability. The seal of the pantheon is invaluable for both the added crit reduction and reaching the block cap. The essence of glossamer is a fine trinket for non JC tanks but JCs have the crab. Rember you can put 3 41 stam gems in your gear at one time if you're so inclined.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
Mex
Tue Dec 02, 2008 4:44 am
The only "best" that can ever come out of a situation like this, is to have them all in your bag at one time and use them appropriately.

Seal will be nearly useless against a magic-damage heavy boss, epsecially one with a huge burst like Malygos. In this situation you're better off going with as much stam as possible.

By the same token, extra stam will be useless against a boss like Loatheb, where you're in absolutely no danger of being burst down, and your ultimate goal is to reduce the amount that healers have to heal to an absolute minimum.

If you get yourself into the mindset that a certain gear setup is "best" and simply wear it all the time, then you're selling yourself short. Take advantage of the ability to swap gear in between encounters and try to maximise your survivavility based on the specific mechanics of whichever fight you're about to attempt.

Even a general "which 2 trinkets am I likely to wear most of the time" is the wrong question to ask, unless for some reason you're still using six slot bags, you should always have enough room to make appropriate gear changes.
kensanity
Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:23 am
I guess I reworded the question wrong. I only ask cuz I want to know when what combination would be good or to see if my commendation has finally outworn its use. Additionally, if certain trinket combinations go well with the monarch crab, I need to know that so I can gem the trinket appropriately. I already have 3 +41 stam trinkets in my gear so ill probably gem two +27 defende gems into the crab. Idk yet. Opinions? I am semi worried about taking out the seal of pantheon on ANY boss fight as I'm worried that I may go under crit cap some fights. It does seem tho that the seal plus crab is the best physical damage mitigating combo of the 4. Although, I feel as if the essence of gossamer's effect is a very strong and useful effect. I kind of feel as if the commendartion is unnecessary and only see it probably coming out for something like patchwerk. (Even then Idk) suggestions?
amh
Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:30 am
With diminishing returns and the fact that you´ve gained 10 levels since you picked up the Commendation.. I´d say it´s only good for the fact that it has stamina. If i remember correctly you had Gossamer + stam-JC? Wouldn´t bother bringing out the Commendation
_________________
Kieras <- armory
kensanity
Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:53 am
wait, so i can't put in the +27 defense trinkets? i thought we could have 3 of each prismatic cut.... gah foolish....

Sigh... hmm I guess i'm going with the Crab with +double stam gems and replacing the blue slot with +41 stam as soon as i replace another piece of gear with the gem init

dang i really thought it was unique to the cut itself and not to the gem.. gah.
Kilthanas
Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:53 am
I'd go with the crab and the essence myself unless I was having issues withe the defense minimum.