Skip to content
Maintankadin

A bit confused about some gear. Unexpected loss of Defense

Haldhir
Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:20 am

A bit confused about some gear. Unexpected loss of Defense

I have been using the belt of the guardian socketed with 2x 12 strength. http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30034

Yesterday, I got http://www.wowhead.com/?item=36952 from The Oculus.

When I tried to mess around with it this morning to see what my stats looked like after the swap I was amazed to find out that I would actually lose some defense skill upgrading form the belt of guardian to the new blue belt.

Stats with belt of the guardian:

Defense 535
Dodge 16.86%
Parry 15.31%
Block 10.40%

Stats with Girdle of Obscuring

Defense 533
Dodge 16.79%
Parry 15.86%
Block 10.32

0 resilience with both.

Now what confuses me is, how can an upgrade of 10 defense rating, cause me to lose 2 defense? I've heard about diminishing returns on dodge, parry etc, but I have no clue what this is about really.

Could anyone help me out here? I hate being confused, that's like getting dazed in-game, makes my blood boil Sad

Screenie of me wearing blue belt, with stats shown: http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/3681/wowscrnshot120108082457el7.jpg

Screenie of me wearing belt of the guardian, with stats shown: http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6582/wowscrnshot120108082450ti4.jpg

Thanks in advance guys, hope you can help me out.

Cheers,

Haldhir, Aerie Peak
Fenris
Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:44 am
Hard to say without an armory link but my bet is that you are using the defense metagem and switching out those red gems is deactivating it
_________________
Majiben
Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:47 am
Sounds like the meta gem is the culprite. Try using your belt slot for red gems if you have none on gear. I am fond of the champion gems (str/def) for my red slots.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
amh
Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:05 am
Either way, slap a buckle in the belt. Gives you one gem-slot that totally ignores socket-bonus, and it counts toward activating your meta-gem :)
_________________
Kieras <- armory
Haldhir
Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:09 am
Ah my apologies, I totally overlooked the meta-gem, when I even had to switch out solid stars of elune for the strenght gems to get it to work in the first place.

I blame the early morning Sad

Sorry guys Embarassed