Skip to content
Maintankadin

Gear check for WOTLK heroics

presage
Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:26 am

Gear check for WOTLK heroics

Hi all! I'm quiet new to tanking, and so far I've only tanked normal dungeons. I can't seem to find any other upgrades except enchants to get my defense at 540, and I'm still 20 short. I'm planning on getting some TBC trinkets. Here is the link for armory :

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Warsong&n=Presage

Do you guys think I could tank heroics right now, and if not, what could I do to get better gear? (my most viable option is rep grinding, though it's hard on normal as the bonus honor with a tabard is way too low). And great site btw, it has been very useful for me so far!
_________________
Lvl 80 prot pally, Warsong
Thornir
Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:46 am
I'd have to say I agree with you. The trinkets you have aren't very Tankadin at all.

If you're gonna go rep grinding, I might suggest doing Halls of Lightning, so that you can get this:

http://www.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=36993
_________________
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger

presage
Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:07 am
Wow thank you so much for the fast reply! I now have http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28042, which combined with patheons trinket should be enough to reach uncrittable. I think I'll have to run HoL many times though, drop rate seems low...
_________________
Lvl 80 prot pally, Warsong
Panzerdin
Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:03 pm
Even if he doesn't round it off with a little Tempered Saronite, a minute chance to be critted is workable.
presage
Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:19 pm
It's ok, i have a new trinket from BC with 30 def rating instead of 26. One last question though : let's say I would be at 539, what's the chance of having a bad roll and being crit?
_________________
Lvl 80 prot pally, Warsong
Panzerdin
Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:06 pm
0, only takes 535 for uncrittable in heroic 5-mans.
presage
Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:53 pm
So what makes 5man heroic different from raids? Is it the lvl of the bosses (82 vs 83)? The difference should be mentioned in the sticky guides, because many new tanks aim for 540 to start tanking heroics. 535 makes a real difference to achieve.
_________________
Lvl 80 prot pally, Warsong
mavfin
Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:01 pm
Yeah, max level in heroics/normals is 82, and at 80, you only need 535 to be uncrit to them. 540 is for 83/?? bosses.

Def breakdown:

400 def = 5 def skill per level built-in, level 80

At base def, you need to take off 5% crit from mobs at your level, and another 0.2% for each level above you.

5% crit = 125 def (0.04% per point), and 0.2% crit = 5 def

So, you need (125+(5*level difference)) defense skill above the base 400 to be uncrittable. In this case, for heroics, top level is 82, so you need 400+125+10=535.
_________________
--Mav
Zoltar
Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:21 pm
Having 540 instead of 535 won't hurt. The extra 5 points, although not mandatory for heroics will add to your block/dodge/parry.
_________________
.
.
.
Wolfem
Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:42 am
I was wondering if I was ready for Heroics myself. I know my Defense is high enough but I think I am lacking in HP and Mitigation (Parry, Block, Dodge).

Any ideas on what I can do?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Cenarion+Circle&n=Piusvir

Note: Armory does not show Blacksmith Sockets but I do have one on my Wrists, Gloves, and Waist. I believe one is +Sta, another +Str, and another + Def Rating but I won't swear to it. Thanks!

I tried running Heroic Violet Halls and we kept wiping on the first boss. Not sure if that was my doing, the healer or just the fact that we kept getting Xevozz (crazy aoe damage with that guy in Heroics).