Skip to content
Maintankadin

Stamina or Avoid?

Havén
Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:53 am

Stamina or Avoid?

So,

Crit Immune(547def),
21k HP Unbuffed
17 dodge
17 parry
12 block

Is it stamina gems or avoidance? Atm im using +parry & stm and +dodge $ stm gems. Should i just use +24gems?
_________________
Ulushnar
Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:43 am
The three stats you should always gem for are Strength, Defense and Stamina in whatever combo you need for socket bonuses, etc. Defense is point-for-point better towards block cap than Dodge or Parry.
_________________
Blog


Do you use your powers for Good, or for Awesome?
Tbolt
Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:28 am
The only stat I use pure gems for is stamina for blue sockets. For the others I always use the hybrids that give str/stam or def/stam. All my enchants are also defense or stam. As far as the 24 stam gems, they are still pretty expensive on my server but if you have a source for getting them cheap go for it. I'm good with the 18 stam for now.
_________________
daemonym
Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:28 am
not sure how your gear is looking atm. tanks are reporting about 27k or so health as they walk into naxx. though you are def a long way from block cap, but i'd say gem for stam and enchant for defense (assuming your threat is fine).
_________________
Tyaera
Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:00 pm
Even in TBC, the stamina mentality reigned supreme until Sunwell with the -dodge/miss debuff, and that was before diminishing returns on avoidance. With the diminishing returns, Effective Health is once more the way to go for a tank. I predict 50-60% avoidance, with 60% being endgame and 50% being beginning (I'm at 50% on my warrior now), with the rest of your item budget being funneled into health and armor.
_________________
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
mirkodeluxe
Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:09 am
I'll pitch in:

Gemming and enchanting is actually interesting now and there is room to be creative. I can actually go for socket bonuses nowadays.
I still aim for high stamina, but not at any cost..


It all depends where you're at. I sit at 22,3K unbuffed with 18/16/10 and just above critcap. That was more than fine for Naxx10 but I reckon I want to push dodge into the twenties and add 2K more health before I run Naxx25.. But thats only guesses on my part.

Point is: get Def to critcap, Stack some health and BV/Armor and worry about pure avoidance later.
But unless you start stacking intellect/Mp5 you cant fail at this point.
_________________
Havén
Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:52 am
Well, playing around with gemming on my gear has left me with a range of 2~3 avoid+ more when gemming for it but 2k less hp. i am finding it hard to be taken seriously on my server with many whispers of how other i'm undergeared for instances i have ran over a dozen times now. I think i will stick to stamina and +dodge+stm gems for socket bonus's.

I need to know though if you look at my siggy or armory whether i am naxx ready? Opinions?
_________________
towelliee
Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:12 am
Just my advice on this one.

At first I just gemmed purely for defense until I reached cap. I was about 22k/23k HP. As I got better gear from Badges and 10 man Naxx/Arvho/OBS I started to replace the defense for Stamina.

I sit at 26.5k Unbuff now with 549 defense. I only have 2 defense gems no..an 8def/12stam and 27def from JC gem.

21/18/24 are my numbers for 25 man.

So basically gemn for defense until better gear comes along. That gear will improve the numbers on your avoidance.
_________________