Skip to content
Maintankadin

The Sun Eater

Strom
Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:31 am

The Sun Eater

If you guys got one of these to drop from heroic Mechanar.... would you use it over a +spell damage weapon?

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29362
_________________
Dreamcrusher
Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:38 am
Typically, I use my Continuum Blade at the beginning of a fight to get an agro lead.


I burn everything I possibly can, continuous judgements, max rank consecrates/holy shield, etc. When I start to get low on mana, I switch over to a faster weapon with more physical damage (right now I'm using a Revenger, but I would muuuch rather have something with avoidance stats) and Seal/Judge Wisdom so I can keep max rank Holy Shield/Consecrate going.


It's working extremely well for me, in heroics and such, but I haven't "raid tanked" anything as we're still working on KZ keys. (BC launch server, lawl.)
_________________
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=Rexo
Lore
Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:20 am
Depends on the fight, really. As a Horde paladin, with SoB, I'd LOVE a Sun Eater. Mmmm dodge.

As an Alliance paladin, on Maulgar, I'd probably recommend using it the whole way through. There's tons of time to build up threat on him, and the extra mitigation at the start is nice when there's not much healing. Towards the end you'll have such a threat lead there's not really much reason to worry about it losing aggro, at least until he hits 50% and starts going crazy... but good luck holding aggro during that part anyway.
_________________
Me, LOL!
Bluemania
Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:39 am
I have the sun eater, i put +40 damage on it.

I do a similar cycle to dreamcrusher with continuum blade, but when wiiiiiings are over i switch to sunblade and use JoL/SoL.

I'm still not sure about +15 agi or +40 SP....i think the threat gained from the enchant is better (considering your sacrificing so much switching from a spelldamage weapon!)
_________________
Dreamcrusher
Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:05 am
Because at that point, I still have more threat than the highest DPS. By switching to a mitigation weapon like the Sun Eater/King's Defender, I have better avoidance than if I were using the spell damage.


Basically, once I'm comfortable with the amount of threat I have, I can slow down my threat generation a little bit to up my avoidance a little bit.

Just trying to squeeze every bit of mitigation I can to ease my healer's jobs.
_________________
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=Rexo
Anatheme
Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:24 pm
I just got a Sun Eater yesterday, and i've been very disapointed.

I've been extremely lucky to obtain Ironfoe when i was 61 or 62. I had a stormcaller as my healer weapon and i've been using it when pulling with the avenger's shield, for the bit of added damages at the start, but thru all of my testings, Ironfoe let me build aggro "on average" just as well as the Stormcaller, only it very often have large "bursts", proccing off several reckoning's double attacks (and leaving me under the impression i'm in fact a windfury shaman).
I hoped tho the Sun Eater would be an upgrade to Ironfoe, but on short testing, it seem to be just barely generating the same threat, making it better to use than the spelldamage blade when i'm low mana, but overall less good still than my little hammer.
It might have something to do with the way i geared myself and with my talent setup tho, but by quick deduction, i'd say the Sun Eater is a very situational blade and not a real upgrade over a spell-power weapon.

As a side note tho, it seem Everyone just can't miss that you're a -Tank- type when you're carrying this blade at your side. Warriors raise an eyebrow, other paladins look at you wierd and people asks you more politely if you'd be willing to heal. Twisted Evil
_________________
"Anatheme c'est la reroll de Benediction."
- Yshuta

My armory
Bluemania
Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:21 am
Yes, it's not an aggro generating weapon, the high dodge, stamina and fast speed make it choice to defend yourself though.
_________________
Dreamcrusher
Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:15 am
Yeah, definitely not used primarily for agro, but consider this.


If you do not have Seal of Righteousness on, you're generating almost 40 more TPS with Sun Eater than a Continuum Blade (barring the extra spell damage on Cons/HS/Exorcism) while also holding better mitigation values and being more Judge of Light/Wis friendly.
_________________
http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=Rexo
Dorvan
Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:29 pm
Just picked up one of these last night Smile

I'm putting spell damage on it for now, but I don't intend to use it as my primary weapon. I'm gonna try to fiddle around with it in Kara over the next week or so, I'll let you know how it goes.
quiescence
Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:04 pm
got one the other night, i use it the way dreamcrusher uses it. once i have a substantial lead in threat, i switch to sun eat for more mitigation.

plus it looks awesome.
Kel'Tiras
Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:50 am
I use Sun Eater with +15agi enchant for max mitigation when im not tanking the mob getting killed. Offtanking adds or when soloing it's usually much better than Continuum Blade. Switch back to the crystal sword whenever threat is important or when consecrating/doing more holy damage.
Derelict
Tue May 22, 2007 6:47 am
Is anyone, besides myself, going to continue using this weapon for tanking post patch 2.1? I'm still finding that this sword and the +40 spell enchant still does an excellent job for all Heroic/Kara/Gruul's tanking situations.


<3 my Sun Eater Razz
_________________
.

.
Thels
Wed May 23, 2007 3:30 am
If aggro is of any issue, don't use this weapon. The amount of spelldamage you can get on your weapon in comparison to it's defensive stats are immense in comparison to those on other slots.

Of course, if aggro is a nonissue, like when you tank the 2nd or 3rd mob to kill, then by all means, equip such a weapon. But then don't put spelldamage on it. That defeats the point. Get 15 agility for another 0.6% dodge.
_________________


Zoe's guide to building your tankadin