Skip to content
Maintankadin

Preferences: Sta+sta Trink or Avoidance+Sta

Lightbeard
Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:27 pm

Preferences: Sta+sta Trink or Avoidance+Sta

I'm wondering what does everyone prefer to wear when tanking in general

Double Sta or Sta/Avoidance (not adding in spell dmg trinks)
Tyaera
Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:56 pm
Stamina/avoidance.

Once you start getting into t6 levels, bosses will be hitting you for a third of your HP at a time. An example is Gorefiend. He hits for at least 7k a hit, non-crush. Even if you have 21k buffed hp, you can only survive three hits without heals...four is going to kill you. It doesn't matter whether you then upgrade your HP to 23k, the fourth hit is still going to kill you.

So, the general idea is to stack enough HP to survive the maximum burst damage a boss can do. For Prince, he can do roughly 14k damage in about a second, in phase 2. So, stack your HP to survive this burst, then stack avoidance.

Having high levels of health allows you to survive burst damage so that your healers can get you back up again.

Having avoidance reduces the chance of that burst damage actually happening, and reduces the amount of damage you take overall, saving healer mana.
Nakama
Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:26 am
Tyaera wrote:Stamina/avoidance.

Once you start getting into t6 levels, bosses will be hitting you for a third of your HP at a time. An example is Gorefiend. He hits for at least 7k a hit, non-crush. Even if you have 21k buffed hp, you can only survive three hits without heals...four is going to kill you. It doesn't matter whether you then upgrade your HP to 23k, the fourth hit is still going to kill you.

So, the general idea is to stack enough HP to survive the maximum burst damage a boss can do. For Prince, he can do roughly 14k damage in about a second, in phase 2. So, stack your HP to survive this burst, then stack avoidance.

Having high levels of health allows you to survive burst damage so that your healers can get you back up again.

Having avoidance reduces the chance of that burst damage actually happening, and reduces the amount of damage you take overall, saving healer mana.


So, at some point, one would want Commendation of Kael'thas or Darkmoon Card: Vengeance for STA, then Empyrean Tortoise (in my case) for avoidance?

--Jed

--Jed
Tyaera
Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:58 am
The ideal trinket setup is Commendation of Kael'thas, and Moroes' Lucky Pocketwatch. If you don't have access to one or both of these, a substitue for the Commendation can be DMC: Vengeance, Spyglass of the Hidden Fleet, the Gnomish Poultrizer, Goblin Rocket Launcher, or Commander's Badge from Netherwing daily quests, the latter four of which give +45 stam.

A substitute for the pocketwatch can be, the defense trinket from Hydross (I cannot recall the name), the parry trinket from Zul'jin (same deal, can't remember the name) I suppose the Empyrean Tortoise as you mentioned although I don't know what it does, or, if you are higher in progression, the Shadowmoon Insignia from Bloodboil.
Loendoran
Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:29 am
Tyaera wrote:The ideal trinket setup is Commendation of Kael'thas, and Moroes' Lucky Pocketwatch. If you don't have access to one or both of these, a substitue for the Commendation can be DMC: Vengeance, Spyglass of the Hidden Fleet, the Gnomish Poultrizer, Goblin Rocket Launcher, or Commander's Badge from Netherwing daily quests, the latter four of which give +45 stam.

A substitute for the pocketwatch can be, the defense trinket from Hydross (I cannot recall the name), the parry trinket from Zul'jin (same deal, can't remember the name) I suppose the Empyrean Tortoise as you mentioned although I don't know what it does, or, if you are higher in progression, the Shadowmoon Insignia from Bloodboil.


WTB Shadowmoon Insignia to actually drop... :(
Katerina
Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:35 am
My tankadin is a Jewelcrafter too :)

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=35693 - the Empyrean Tortoise.

I fretted on this too, as I got the pocketwatch and so was not sure if I wanted to make the Tortiose or not. The mats are a bit pricey.

However, the Tortoise looks to me to be better than Moroes' Pocketwatch (which I also have). (Moroes' says the equip is worth 2.01% dodge on my char screen where the Tortiose says it is worth 2.72% avoidance. The dodge use effect on the Pocketwatch is higher, but the Tortoise lasts twice as long.

That being said, I'd still rather keep my Crimson Serpent on http://www.wowhead.com/?item=35700 and sub in an uncrush ring (my other trinket is DMC:V). But I don't have any rings that provide 49 stamina yet OR as much threat as that trinket (It is like having a second pair of wings!), and so subbing out my Black Pearl http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32774 for Andormu's Tear http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29323 seems like the better option for me at the moment. I wear the Black Pearl for trash and Andormu's Tear for bosses (also subbing in Maiden's hands for the T4 on bosses).

I'll be the first to admit I'm green at this too :) But I'd rather have the stam/int/burst threat from the serpent and lose a little constant threat from the ring and a much smaller amount of stamina. I believe the shield block on Andormu's adds a little threat as well. (I tend to survive stuff just fine, but running my new tankadin alt with T6 geared guildies means I worry constantly about threat.)

Thought I'd throw that out there (at least providing links to the items in question). Maybe someone has some thoughts? Bleh, it is possible the block on maiden's hands are compareble threat to the little bit of spell damage on the T4. With 15 stam gems in them, they are much sexier :)
Malith
Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:51 am
what's the avoidance you're looking for getting into t5 content? obviously u want atleast the 102.4% but how much more if any? i tank heroics, kara, amd the rare za atm. i just try to keep my avoidance around uncrushable and then just push as much HP as i can out so i prefer 2 stamina trinkets.
Big Mushy
Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:57 am
honestly it depends on what sort of fight I'm going into, some times its double stam, some times avoidance with burst threat, or stam and burst threat... or the fights where I dont want to be touched and I use double avoidance trinkets and laugh as I go oom
Petrus
Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:02 am
I used to be in the stam/stam camp but I do really like the oh crap button that Moroes' Lucky Pocketwatch gives me. I don't really think it's wrong either way, though.
Arnax
Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:34 am
Tyaera wrote:The ideal trinket setup is Commendation of Kael'thas, and Moroes' Lucky Pocketwatch.


Agree.

I'm currently running with Moroes' Lucky Pocketwatch and DMC: Vengeance. I would very much like to exchange the DMC with Commendation of Kael'thas, but I just hate MgT too much.
spelltank
Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:58 am
Tyaera wrote:The ideal trinket setup is Commendation of Kael'thas, and Moroes' Lucky Pocketwatch.


Same, i run with that setup 90% of the time. Only times i use double stam trinkets is when joining pugs (OMG, look at his health!), and tanking the lock in the HKM event, otherwise i like having the pocketwatch - the passive dodge is nice, but you really cant beat it as a O SHIT button, the on use dodge brings me up to around 70% avoidance, which is great
athom
Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:09 am
Like someone said in another thread...Moroes Watch is the most OP item ingame.
Stucked it into my second trinket slot and never took it off from the day i got it.

On 1st slot i shuffle between Commendation, the Shattered Halls trincket (removing 5% block Libram FTW!)...and some spelldmg trinkets...wtb some more badges to get Icon of the Crescent btw :)
Dehn
Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:13 am
Am I the only one that hardly ever used my pocketwatch?

I kept using 2 dark moon cards for too long, and then i switched to the commendation and shadowmoon insignia.
Tyaera
Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:17 pm
Well, if you have the Shadowmoon Insignia, it's better than the pocketwatch, generally
aureon
Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:15 am
double sta, but tweaking for the boss anyway.
example, gbb gets double avoidance. KT commendation + DMC:V is just too good to give up, atleast till the SM insignia drops...
fuzzygeek
Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:09 pm
Needs more 3rd option: Double Avoidance. :]

Commendation is nice since it's essentially a stam+avoidance trinket in a single purple package, but sometimes it's just useful to have two on-use oh shit buttons coughbrutalluscoughcoughcough.