Skip to content
Maintankadin

Questions concerning gear/badges/stuff

Koletha
Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:25 pm

Questions concerning gear/badges/stuff

Hello there

I have some questions about my current gear.

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Arathor&n=Vastian

That is currently the set of gear I use for non-boss fights. For bosses, I switch the following items in;
Shield - Shield of Impenetrable Darkness (+15 block rating though I don't think I need that any more, that's a remnant from when most of my gear was blue and I haven't gotten around to replacing it with +stam or +bv)
Neck - Barbed Choker
Boots - Boots of Elusion (+12 stam)
Bracers - Bracers of the Green Fortress (+12 stam)
Gloves - Iron Gauntlets of the Maiden (+20 spelldmg, 2x +12 stam gems)
Libram - Libram of Repentance

I also have the Dungeon Set 3 tankadin shoulders, Sun Eater, Andormu's Tear and the Elementium Band of the Sentry in my bags but I almost never equip them. I'm currently trying to farm the Commendation, Pocketwatch and either the MgT or ZA maces to replace my Crystalforged Sword.

First off, would I be better swapping any of those items around? Right now my logic is; a decent amount of spell-damage, followed by block rating and stamina for non-boss fights, and try to boost up my +dodge for boss fights. I actually have roughly 100 less health in my boss gear. Am I on the right track? From what I've read in other threads this seems to be the case but I may be missing something.

Secondly, if there any other Badge items I would be well to get other than the 20 badge libram that boosts So/JoR? As far as I can tell, I have all of the *essential* BoJ rewards.

Thanks for you time, any advice would be much appreciated
-Vastian
_________________
True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read
Meatydog
Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:42 pm
I might be thinking about this the wrong way,
But you only want to stack dodge for bosses the hit like a mac truck. otherwise you just wanna keep your block gear on to help keep your threat above par just incase theres a knockback or something thatll drop your threat or something like a stun that will keep you above the others and still have a decent lead.
But also im not as geared as you so i dont really know what some of these boss you are tanking are like.
But that would be my perspective.
_________________

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Darkspear&n=Meatydog
Ulushnar
Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:55 pm
Stacking Dodge is almost never a bad idea.

Here's Uncle Ulushnar's gearing priorities:

1. Get Uncrittable.
2. Get Uncrushable by hook or by crook. If this means stacking a load of Block rating early on, so be it.
3. Get enough Armor/health to comfortably absorb any reasonable amount of burst damage. At the Karazhan level, anything above 13.5k health and 15k armor unbuffed and you're laughing.
4. After that point, start replacing some of your block rating with Dodge whilst still remaining uncrushable.
5. Whilst doing all this, make sure you have enough spelldamage that your DPS isn't being unreasonably capped. If your DPSers are any good, they'll ride you close unless half the raid is comprised of Hunters chain-Misdirecting you. The secret is to give them enough room that they aren't being too gimped staying below you.
_________________
I don't wish to come across as surly or mean-spirited, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
Armory : Gear Advice
Meatydog
Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:32 pm
i was always told(before here) that you stack defense rating and after that stack block, once you get to a comfortable point start getting a dodge set. That way when you need to block you can block and when you need to dodge you can dodge.
But yall are mucho more leet than i so i cant say much
_________________

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Darkspear&n=Meatydog
Koletha
Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:16 am
Woop, seems I'm on the right path then; good to know. With full raid buffs my health is in the 19k region now, which makes me warm inside.

Thanks for the feedback Smile
_________________
True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read
Barathorn
Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:51 am
Oh I agree, but high dodge = no mana on Trash Ulu as you well know. 90% of the time I stay in my MT kit, but I like to have the option if needed. I don't think having a highish block value kit hurts either with WotLk approaching and the changes that have been mentioned so far.

Barathorn
_________________


'Don't mind Guillex, he thinks he's Dorvan' - Lore at his best March 2008.

http://armorylite.com/eu/Aerie+Peak/Barathorn