Skip to content
Maintankadin

Heroic ready?

superstone
Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:55 pm

Heroic ready?

Hello. I recently hit 70 on my tankadin and am wondering if I'm ready for heroics?

I've read most of the stickys and was kind of confused on what makes one item better than another for 5mans/Heroics vs. Raiding.

I've got kind of low spell damage at the moment and if the group thinks they can go balls out two seconds in that'll be dealt with as it comes, but I was wondering specifically:

Is there some magic numbers I should be reaching for in regards to heroics?

I will include my armory here.

http://armorylite.com/us/Kalecgos/Amiaxis

Thanks in advance. Any constructive answers would be greatly appreciated.
_________________

I was a lot of things...
Meatydog
Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:12 pm
Im only going to be able to touch on points i know about.

for any heroic you will absolutely need 485 def min. 490 def is what you need to be uncrittable to anything.
but 485 is good for heroics.
From what i have seen and experienced is that if you dont have over 11k hp unbuffed its gonna be a hard time and slow instance. before i was above 11k hp, we would get to a few pulls and then after so many tries the group would fall apart. of course some of the fualt is on the dps and heals, but still.

For alot of heroics people want their tank to be around 11-12k unbuffed hp. That way when they get buffed your sitting pretty high up.

Right now for heroics i have never had a problem holding aggro and im sitting with 254 SD. Of course there are times where the mage or something is sitting in T5 gear or somethin crazy and they blow me outta the water.

Ill check your armory out once i get on a computer that will go there. Personally i would recommend the Merciless gavel with the +40 SD enchant on it. that will give you around 260ish SD off the bat. Then get the spaulders of the righteous out of Regular Bot off the 2nd to last boss(Laj). That will give you extra SD.

Overall the main number you need to worry about is your defense being at 485, then get your SD and stam up.
_________________

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Darkspear&n=Meatydog
submerged
Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:21 am
You might could do them with your current gear, but you'd need a pretty good healer...and it probably wouldn't run as smoothly as it would if you spent a bit more time in regs.

Personally I'd try to hop on a guild kara run and gear up a bit there before doing heroics. I know most people think heroics should come before raids, but that content is just getting blown through now by badge runs and everything just gets DEed anyway, unless you have a really unprogressed guild you should be able to hop in as the OT or something...
_________________
spelltank
Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:19 am
I personally wouldnt want you in my heroic group, to be honest - you cant possibly tank heroics while crittable until you overgear the instance, and will be sitting to take crits. Your gear seems ok besides that, but you'll want at least 2 CC, and a steady healer, with a group that understands you are just starting - guild runs you'll get through fine, pugs will destroy you most of the time.

For ur spec, you have 0 points in sacred duty - which are some of the best 2 points spent, since they give 3% to stamina each, which should be around

Unenchanted gear is very rarely a good sign. If it's worth using for decent content, its worth putting an enchant on basically. If you are wearing gear thats not good enough to throw a decent enchant on, you arent ready for proper content.
Your legs are good, throw the stam enchant on them, even if you get the cheap one, its still a easy 30 stamina towards your cause.
You'll be using that cloak for a while as well, its the best blue one, so throw a 12 def rating enchant on it and become uncrittable.
Similarly, throw a 10 stam armor kit, or get an enchanter to do +12 stamina to your boots, you'll have them for a while. Similarly, throw the cheap 10 stam enchants onto anything you can put them on that doesnt have something better - like gloves and shoulders until you have the aldor rep to use the other ones, and chest until you get a good chest.

Get a proper tanking neck, theres two good blue necks from quests which you can get.
Don't use the wayward soldier for heroics, only for raids, since +blockrating is of little use in heroics until you stack Block Value, and you shouldnt be considering doing that for a while. Same goes with the figurine, a defense trinket (dabri's enigma comes to mind), or a stamina trinket (rocket launcher) will help a lot more than 4% block when you dont need to be uncrushble. If you want a different shield, try the netherwing defender's shield, or theres one that drops in bot from memory, or you could just aim for the gladiator shield (after getting your gavel)

Work on aldor rep for the chest and the shoulder enchants.

Work on that stuff, and itll help. At the moment, i wouldnt try heroics, unless you have an understanding guild group. Personally, unenchanted gear to me screams I DONT CARE ABOUT MY GEAR, and for a role as gear dependant as tank, this will just make things a lot more difficult than they need to be. Gear enchants are MUCH easier to do than gear upgrades, theres really no reason not to with gold as easy to make as it is
Barathorn
Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:47 am
A good rule of thumb is 14k health and armor when buffed to be fairly comfortable, its certainly doable with less but I would aim for those figures.

Also bear in mind that 5mans>Karazhan>Heroics is how it actually panned out which is different from the 5mans>Heroics>Karazhan that Blizzard had planned.

Good Luck!
_________________


'Don't mind Guillex, he thinks he's Dorvan' - Lore at his best March 2008.

http://armorylite.com/eu/Aerie+Peak/Barathorn
gummyrabbit
Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:37 am
You'd have an easier time getting into Karazhan as an Off-tank. Lots of Kara groups are looking for prot paladins as an off-tank. With a decent group, you can rip thru kara in 3.5 hours or less and you'd have 22 badges and usually get most if not all of the tanking gear. Just be sure to up your stamina with elixirs, pots and use runes of warding. With really good healers, you can OT Moroes and 3 of his adds easy.

If you want to tank heroics, you'd have to tank it like a warrior and have a rogue/mage/hunter CC as much as possible. You can probably tank heroic Slave Pens and Underbog fairly easily. My first heroic was Ramparts and I picked a group that had a mage and a rogue for CC. We only wiped once on the last boss...at the time I had 10.7K HP unbuffed.
superstone
Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:27 pm
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm just anxious to get gearing because of WotLK being so (or so it seems with all the talk) close on the horizon.

My guild is a small guild mostly of RL friends, and since we don't recruit and I'm on a dead server (go to forums and go to Kalecgos QQ).

I consider myself hardcore casual. No, those aren't two separate adjectives, they explain my stance. I play hardcore hours but get bored with one thing pretty quickly so I jump around a lot.

Again, thanks for the responses. I shall continue to honor grind for the gavel and do dailies to afford enchants and try to get the righteous shoulders and chest.

And Sacred Duty... I have no idea why I didn't put those two in /doh
_________________

I was a lot of things...