Skip to content
Maintankadin

Belt of the Guardian or Girdle of the Protector?

Yeorgo
Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:55 pm

Belt of the Guardian or Girdle of the Protector?

I am looking to upgrade my gear as best as I can and was wondering which of the belts are better for my toon. Belt of the Guardian http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30034 or Girdle of the Protector? http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33524 I am leaning towards the GOtP for the dodge rating and spell hit but wanted to get some other opinions on it. Thanks in advance.
_________________
Meatydog
Tue Jul 22, 2008 10:43 pm
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=2652

might help you out some if you havent read it.
I cant view your armory right now, but if your already uncrush, or not either way, id go with the belt of the guardian and use theh 60 badges for some other gear.

there is also a link inside the one i have posted that will show another list but with gear that has SD included in the gear and gear w/o the SD.

Not much of a help to you right now but once i get to my computer i can bring up your armory and give you a better opinion.
_________________

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Darkspear&n=Meatydog
Barathorn
Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:58 am
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30034 for block value and threat and http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33524 for dodge and threat.

In other words, BotG for Trash and AoE tanking and GotP for Boss tanking. I didn't want to spend badges so I just had BotG made for me and thats the only belt I use at the moment as I prefer to spend badges on upgrades I can't get from other players as craftables. GotP is probably a better all round belt for general tanking.

You may also wish to look at the Iron Tusk Girdle.

Barathorn
_________________


'Don't mind Guillex, he thinks he's Dorvan' - Lore at his best March 2008.

http://armorylite.com/eu/Aerie+Peak/Barathorn
moduspwnens
Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:21 am
I always say Iron-Tusk. Any time you take a direct equivalent like Girdle of the Protector ("Pally tank gear") and Iron-tusk Girdle, Blizzard is effectively forcing you to say "Do I want the 'pally gear' with spell damage and spell hit for threat? Or the warrior gear with superior stamina and avoidance stats?" You can bet any warrior will be taking the one with superior stats, so by taking the "Paladin belt," you're effectively gimping yourself just because you're a Paladin.

All too often I see Paladins take this, or the boots (Blue's Greaves), or the chest without thinking what it's actually doing. It's making you inferior to a warrior. You can produce enough threat at your gear level without them, and there are more, better ways to increase your threat. Heck, doesn't a Wrath of Air Totem cover virtually all of those pieces combined anyway?
_________________
Stormreaver US

Modus | Governor
Barathorn
Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:43 am
I understand your point modus, and agree that is probably the case for T6 and Sunwell. Am pretty sure that is not how it is at T4/T5 level though where every scrap of extra avoidance is vital.

I don't think spell damage on an item means you are gimping yourself, I think like most things, you need to balance your character and be aware of any possible weaknesses and make sure you can gem/enchant/consumable against them.

Barathorn
_________________


'Don't mind Guillex, he thinks he's Dorvan' - Lore at his best March 2008.

http://armorylite.com/eu/Aerie+Peak/Barathorn
moduspwnens
Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:50 am
Well, clearly Barathorn and I disagree. I think that the balance lies in your weapon, any tier gear, and buffs. Otherwise it seems like you're just taking stats away that a warrior will be using as stamina and avoidance. Is it vital? No, but I've been gearing with this strategy since day one and can't remember ever having a serious problem with threat.

So there you have a little insight from both of us. It's your call.
_________________
Stormreaver US

Modus | Governor
Yeorgo
Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:59 am
Thanks the the quick responses. Ok, so here is my dilemma. My guild is getting ready to start running SSC and I am just trying to maximize my gear as best as possible. I am already uncrittable and uncrushable but I figured more avoidance couldn't hurt. That's why I was looking for any badge type upgrades. Where exactly should my spell damage and stamina be at to run SSC? I am currently at +483 Spell damage and 14,500 health unbuffed. I know I still need the neckpiece from Kara and the Violet eye exalted rep ring (which I am close to getting) but besides those I am left with choosing warrior type tank upgrades or the slightly better pally tank ones with spell hit etc. I imagine I am at the point where gear is completely situational with spell damage for trash and avoidance for bosses. Thanks again.
_________________
moduspwnens
Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:11 am
I'm in T6+ content, holding off T6+ geared DPSers with 436 spell damage unbuffed, so you probably don't need that much spell damage. Also, spell hit rating is a gimp stat, as it only affects a small portion of our threat. Spell damage is far superior.

I have personally tanked most SSC/TK bosses with only the spell damage from my weapon and buffs.
_________________
Stormreaver US

Modus | Governor