Skip to content
Maintankadin

4.3 Item Enhancement Guide

Shathus
Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:03 am

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

Gavinas wrote:
econ21 wrote:For the weapon enchant, mending caught my eye. I don't know the proc rate, although wowhead says it heals for around 800 hp. Probably useless for dungeons (although stuff hits so hard and drains healer mana so quick, any little bit of healing I will take). But it seemed enormously helpful for soloing. I've already switched from truth to insight since questing at L84-85 incurs so much damage. But with this enchant, I seldom seemed to have to use WoG. I think it will be nice for those "kill 12 spider" type dailies where you want to pull a lot and get it done quick. (Before the enchant, 6 Tol Barad dailies took me 26 mins and one death - it reminds me of the Isle of Quel'danas in BC; we kill stuff slow.)


I've also been trying out Mending since it gave me 5 skill ups on my enchanter and wasn't too expensive. Procs for 800-1000, can crit for 1.5x the heal and seems to proc off most/all of our abilities. Did some brief testing on a dummy and it seems to have ~10% proc chance with a 2.6 speed weapon, I assume it's a ppm enchant but haven't bothered testing other weapon speeds. I have a brief combat log using it attacking one of the combat dummy's in SW with both just autoattacks and doing a rotation for 5 minutes or so if anyone is interested. Based on my experiences in heroics today I'd say it acts like a small HOT, but since I have more threat than I know what do with at the moment and the higher end enchants like Windwalk aren't available yet I'll probably stick with it for a while.


I was in the same situation and tried it out. On a norma HoO run last night, on the last boss, it accounted for 25k healing, and about 206k over the course of the run. Meant to run logs, but forgot. It equated to about a 20-25% of my healing done, the rest being WoG (which I was only using situationally).
Digren
Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:39 am

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

I'll hit 85 tonight, after which getting this guide updated will be my top priority.
Cromzinc
Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:57 am

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

Digren wrote:I'll hit 85 tonight, after which getting this guide updated will be my top priority.


Hello, I noticed some math maybe be off in a section that is on page one.

Now, however, block again reduces incoming melee damage by a significant amount - 40% (or more depending on meta gem selection). Once again trying to push "regular" hits off the combat table makes sense. Note that it's not possible to block cap in Cataclysm (at least through T11), but nevertheless mastery rating reduces incoming damage more than dodge or parry rating. In Cataclysm, consider blocked hits the norm, and unblocked hits as +70% damage. Welcome back crushing blows!


It would appear to me, unless a change has occurred, that incoming melee damage is reduced by 30% (or more depending...). Which would mean, that unblocked hits as only +30% damage.

The logic of your post would make it seem as block only lets melee damage hit for 30%, instead of block 30%.
Maelsstrom
Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:52 pm

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

Cromzinc:

We block for 40% with holy shield up. So we take 0.6x the damage. If you don't block, you take 1.0x the damage. 1.0/0.6 = 1.667.

...and 66.7% more damage taken, relative to if you block, is pretty close to 70%. It is higher if the 40% block is slightly higher due to a glyph that makes it 41%. 1/0.59 = 1.6945.
Rhiannon
Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:59 pm

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

I know it's the weaker option, but you've omitted 50 mastery on gloves from your glove enchant section. Given that 65 mastery requires 2 x maelstrom crystals which are going to be extraordinarily rare for a few weeks, it's probably the next best non-profession specific alternative as far as survival-oriented enchant.
econ21
Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:40 am

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

Rhiannon wrote:...50 mastery on gloves... it's probably the next best non-profession specific alternative as far as survival-oriented enchant.


How should we trade off mastery with stamina nowadays? e.g. is 50 mastery better than 44 stamina (from heavy savage armor kit)? Looking at the gems (30 mastery or 45 stamina), it is certainly a higher item level but is there anyway to say more about this trade-off?
Goodheart
Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:06 am

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

It's not really a trade-off, but more like hitting a "cap" with stamina I think.
You simply need a certain ammount of health to survive the nasty stuff, the estimate of 150k buffed mentioned before feels about right. After that mastery is king.
This is offcourse without much evidence from raids, but at the very least for heroics this seems like the way to go for me.
Digren
Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:12 am

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

econ21 wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:...50 mastery on gloves... it's probably the next best non-profession specific alternative as far as survival-oriented enchant.


How should we trade off mastery with stamina nowadays? e.g. is 50 mastery better than 44 stamina (from heavy savage armor kit)? Looking at the gems (30 mastery or 45 stamina), it is certainly a higher item level but is there anyway to say more about this trade-off?

We ought to be able to translate both into a given increase to average TTL, and then calculate an average effective health equivalent. So a direct comparison ought to be possible, ignoring that stamina provides worst-case TTL and mastery through randomness is only average.

Also it might depend very heavily on your starting stamina/mastery, making it difficult to wrap into a simple conversion.
Digren
Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:42 am

Re: 4.0.3a Reforging Guide

I updated the reforging guide to provide specific help for each type of gear. I still need to make the suggested corrections to the gem and enchant guides.
Digren
Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:48 am

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

confedsg wrote:What about Heavy Savage Armor Kit as an glove enchant :) You missed that 1 ^_^

Added. Thanks!
Digren
Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:54 am

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

econ21 wrote:I decided to enchant all my gear today, as it is "heroic ready" and found this guide very useful. Unfortunately, most of the top tier enchants were not available on the AH as scrolls so I ended up going with lesser ones. In that spirit, it might be worth adding the savage armor kit to lists for the (5?) slots it can be applied. It did not seem a bad option for hands, chest and feet, until I can get the top tier ones (e.g. at +36 stamina, I think its better than the 275 hp chest enchant I think I used in wotlk). Heavy savage armor would have been better but was more expensive and I did not want to spend the gold for something I will either upgrade or enchant over.

Added the Savage Armor Kit. Thanks.
Digren
Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:03 am

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

Rhiannon wrote:I know it's the weaker option, but you've omitted 50 mastery on gloves from your glove enchant section. Given that 65 mastery requires 2 x maelstrom crystals which are going to be extraordinarily rare for a few weeks, it's probably the next best non-profession specific alternative as far as survival-oriented enchant.

Added. Thanks!
Digren
Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:03 am

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

Okay, up to date except for weapon enchants. I need to review the analysis and update my recommendations there.
Protigy
Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:13 am

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

Digren wrote:Okay, up to date except for weapon enchants. I need to review the analysis and update my recommendations there.

This is coming from a small test during my daily heroic, but Mending over the course of a 2 minute end-of-dungeon heroic boss only healed for 8.8k total. My Seal of Insight did ~64k and each time I used a 3HoPo WoG, those were hitting for 20k+ a pop. Looking forward, I do not foresee myself ever considering the use of Mending compared to something that will provide static avoidance or +threat. Just wanted to mention this as you dive into your weapon enchant update. Thanks again for your hard work! :D
lythac
Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:36 am

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

Zarhym wrote:The gem cuts Timeless Nightstone, Jagged Jasper, and Solid Zephyrite can no longer create perfect versions of the cut.


Odd change, assume other tanking perfect cuts still exist.
Zalaria
Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:35 am

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

lythac wrote:
Zarhym wrote:The gem cuts Timeless Nightstone, Jagged Jasper, and Solid Zephyrite can no longer create perfect versions of the cut.


Odd change, assume other tanking perfect cuts still exist.


That's a "fix" for the JC dailies that require you to cut gems. Those three cuts are used in the dailies, and when they proc perfects you have to cut another since it requires the normal cuts.
Digren
Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:42 am

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

Unless they took the existing Perfect Solid Zephyrites out of the game, I'll leave them on the list for now. I've noted that they are no longer possible to create.
steadypal
Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:57 pm

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

hrm dangit my wrath belt buckle wont even apply onto my green belt upgrade from questing, wth
Digren
Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

steadypal wrote:hrm dangit my wrath belt buckle wont even apply onto my green belt upgrade from questing, wth

Ooh yeah that's right. Stealth nerf from .. Friday? .. now you have to use the new special belt buckle.

I need to update that.
Boèndal
Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:25 pm

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

Are there any news regarding the BV meta gem? I got this stone helm from Maloriak today and can't decide which to choose if its not bugged any more.
raistlin212
Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:56 pm

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

Nvm, math was bad.
RedAces
Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:04 am

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

Boèndal wrote:Are there any news regarding the BV meta gem? I got this stone helm from Maloriak today and can't decide which to choose if its not bugged any more.


This meta is still bugged on EU-Servers. I have it in this helm and the block tooltip shows "Stops 31% incoming damage".

Bye, RedAces.
theckhd
Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:08 am

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

raistlin212 wrote:I brought this up at the EJ prot thread but for shields the armor enchant is a higher net damage reduction then the block enchant. There's been some math done but 160 armor is just better then 36 mastery at preventing damage in the long run. I know block cap is the "holy grail" but this one has a high opportunity cost.


Something seemed fishy about that when I first read Wrathblood's coefficients, and now that I've sat down and worked it out, I'm fairly certain it's wrong. I'll save the gory details for AT&C, but here's the net result:

Theck wrote:In any event, given this, 1 armor should be equivalent to ~1/7 a point of mastery, or 0.143 (14.3% as effective), rather than the 0.35 that Wrathblood found. On the other hand, in terms of itemization, it seems that you get 4 armor for every ipoint (trinkets give 1285 armor, 321 mastery/agi/etc., or 482 stam), making it 57.14% as good as mastery in terms of raw itemization. Thus, a mastery trinket should be better than an armor trinket in most cases (i.e. for blockable damage), ignoring on-use effects.

Considering the 160 armor enchant in this light, it's worth about 160/7 = 23 mastery, which is less than the 36 afforded by the Blocking enchant.
Amonet
Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:13 pm

Re: 4.0.3a Item Enhancement Guide

I was wondering. In the guide it says for example for a yellow gem "20 master 30 stam if the socket bonus is good". What is considered good, what's considered bad? E.g. is 20 parry good if you have 1 red and 1 blue? And 10 mastery if one red?

Mastery seems pretty awesome, so I'll be going for most yellow slots anyways, but for the red I'd have to take parry, which I don't like that much.

Anything that's "proven" to be best for when to gem what?

Thx in advance