Skip to content
Maintankadin

Is Heavy Borean Armor Kit the best universal buff to gloves?

Digren
Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:57 pm
I have armsmen on my current gloves because an enchanter friend gave me a scroll of it for free (and I thanked him and took it rather than explain that it wasn't my best option). I had the sta kit on my gloves at the time.

Then, a day later, I got new gloves. Since I still had the scroll in my inventory, it went right on them. I haven't troubled to replace it yet. If I did, I'd put the stamina kit back on.
Modal
Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:01 pm
240 armor is an excellent choice. I've got plenty of stam and not much bonus armor on my gear at the moment, so it's definitely the way to go for me. Who needs threat right now?
Threatco
Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:26 pm
240 armor is an excellent choice. I've got plenty of stam and not much bonus armor on my gear at the moment, so it's definitely the way to go for me. Who needs threat right now?


Anyone have any idea if its possible for 240 armor to provide more eh then the stam to gloves? I assume you need to have low armor high hp ratio to make it worth it?
Martie
Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:20 am
Threatco wrote:
240 armor is an excellent choice. I've got plenty of stam and not much bonus armor on my gear at the moment, so it's definitely the way to go for me. Who needs threat right now?


Anyone have any idea if its possible for 240 armor to provide more eh then the stam to gloves? I assume you need to have low armor high hp ratio to make it worth it?


While I'm an advocate of the effective health way of thinking, I am also familiar enough with numbers to know that blocking makes the results different, and tricky to judge.

Apart from that, I gave an indication of what % damage reduction the 240 armor gives in an earlier post. I got the number by comparing my own armor's effect and that of my brother, a warrior main tank. We were 232 armor apart when I checked, and we've tanked naxx 25man together.
(His and my current armory. Gear changed a bit since I last checked.)

Now, I'm going to ignore raid buffs for the moment, since I cannot seem to find a trustworthy source for what dr% you get for what armor level.

So, 27k health, armor rising from 24212 to 24486 (I used these numbers because those are what the armory pages give. They do not represent the exact results of a 240 armor enchant, but they do give an indication.) increases my DR from 61.38% to 61.65%. It increases my effective health from 27000*(1/(1-0.6138))=69912 to 27000*(1/(1-0.6165))=70404, an increase of 492.

At that same armor of 24212, the 210ish health that 18 stamina (12% talents, 10% kings, I have no clue how they add up and am too lazy to log in to check. Again, an estimation.) gives you is worth 210*(1/(1-0.6138))=544 effective health.

When taking raidbuffs into consideration, I think it's quite likely that 240 armor gives you more effective health then 18 stamina.

I'm not completely sure, but I think that 240 armor is always worth the same effective health, as long as stamina stays the same, of course.

(Disclaimer: I rounded numbers to what I thought appropriate when I thought it appropriate.)
Modal
Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:19 pm
Rawr.tankadin shows 240 armor coming out way, way ahead of 18 stamina in terms of EH for my toon. ymmv, and I haven't bothered to double-check the math since it agrees with my intuitive judgment.
Zargon
Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:47 pm
Personally, i went for Armsman. I'm a casual player in guild of softcore raiders. My computer can't handle a raiding environment, but I love actually being able to still instance and group with friends and guildies and do my job. The Armsman enchant will help me in actually keeping aggro once they're in their raid gear doing more lawldps than i could pull threat off normally. Hell, I'm already playing catch-up since I mostly just dick around instead of leveling or questing. I just hit 79 the other day.
Levantine
Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:41 pm
Armsman, because if I get Rune Strike starved I cap my DPS and every little bit helps.

PS, fuck you and your shitty design, Blizzard.
fuzzygeek
Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:50 pm
Levantine wrote:PS, fuck you and your shitty design, Blizzard.


One of the things that struck me while playing my warrior alt (who predates my paladin alt cum main), is how well designed the warrior class (and their glyphs) are. There are all kinds of neat little interactions with their abilities (shield slam, dstate/revenge, crit blocks etc) that paladins just don't have. Maybe in a couple years we'll have the same depth of mechanics.

On topic: I use stam to gloves because I'm silly that way, but I've never been in a situation where I thought, "man, I sure could use some more parry or strength." I'm usually not in a situation where I think, "man I'm glad I've got 200 more hp," but it comes in handy betimes. I'm definitely putting str on Gauntlets of the Disobedient if I pick them up.

Current content is tuned down to the point where you have a lot of latitude and choice over how you want your gear to work. This is both good and bad, but may also change in the next wave of content.
Elsie
Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:25 am
So, 27k health, armor rising from 24212 to 24486 (I used these numbers because those are what the armory pages give. They do not represent the exact results of a 240 armor enchant, but they do give an indication.) increases my DR from 61.38% to 61.65%. It increases my effective health from 27000*(1/(1-0.6138))=69912 to 27000*(1/(1-0.6165))=70404, an increase of 492.

At that same armor of 24212, the 210ish health that 18 stamina (12% talents, 10% kings, I have no clue how they add up and am too lazy to log in to check. Again, an estimation.) gives you is worth 210*(1/(1-0.6138))=544 effective health.

This is wrong because it doesn't take into account percentage of damage taken as magical. The analysis is wrong because it also doesn't account for armor and agility gains from raid buffs (strength of earth, mark of the wild, kings).
tuberon
Mon Jan 05, 2009 5:51 am
Majiben wrote:
Tuberon wrote:Best glove enchant:

Blacksmithing:Socket Gloves
Not an enchant.


That's the point, you can get even more out of the gloves.

Basic 24 stam gem + 18 stam armor kit = 42 stam to gloves, for cheap :P

Does help to be a blacksmith, I hear. *cough*
Levantine
Mon Jan 05, 2009 9:12 am
fuzzygeek wrote:
Levantine wrote:PS, fuck you and your shitty design, Blizzard.


One of the things that struck me while playing my warrior alt (who predates my paladin alt cum main), is how well designed the warrior class (and their glyphs) are. There are all kinds of neat little interactions with their abilities (shield slam, dstate/revenge, crit blocks etc) that paladins just don't have. Maybe in a couple years we'll have the same depth of mechanics.


Warriors are very well designed. Death Knights are 100% reliant on Rune Strike. Without it proccing a lot, our threat is abysmal.
steadypal
Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:05 am
well, what is new in the xpac?

just the 18stam armor kit right??



before the xpac wasnt 2% threat the hands down enchant to get for hands?

i dont see how 15str, or the armor, or the agi can even be considered? wait agi in bc was 15 right? im not sure,,,


but anyways, if 2% threat in bc was that much better, i'd think same enchant with 10parry would still be king to other enchants or am i wrong?


is ppl knocking it down purely on threat not being an issue anymore?
Dorvan
Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:34 am
steadypal wrote:is ppl knocking it down purely on threat not being an issue anymore?


This. 2% threat was a relatively popular enchant because having adequate threat was an issue for Tankadins, especially in high end content. In WotLK, tanks are leaps and bounds ahead of DPS, so 2% threat is considerably less appealing, especially since it doesn't at least provide a little DPS boost as well or anything.
Enkal
Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:56 am
Majiben wrote:+15 str is more threat on average and some mitigation. As is armsman. Threat is no reason to get hit. Saying that you don't like seeing misses and screw the opportunity loss is what you really mean.


It's in my train of thought that having a solid balance between stats is the best. I dont go for all stamina, all avoidance or all threat. Balance is my game. :)

Looking at my latest WWS stats my miss rate is about 1-3% for all skills except swing that has 6.3% mainly from boss parry. Balanced enough for me. :)
Pendulum
Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:04 am
Armsmen, because doing 3D Sarth as an add tank you need every little bit of extra threat you can get. The parry is meh, but it's a cheapie enchant. I'll probably get another pair of gloves for 18 stam or 240 armor.