Skip to content
Maintankadin

4.2 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Pinupgirl_Madoran
Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Re: 4.2 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Understanding check:


Once you can hit 102.4% CTC...

For all further upgrades, isn't it basically "Whatever piece of gear has higher stats, overall, is better" ?

Strictly speaking in terms of gearing purely for avoidance... If I can stay at 102.4%, I'm reforging all extra stats into Dodge/Parry as equally as possible.


WRT the guide as a whole it values mastery above everything else, but one you're able to block cap, you're more concerned with essentially having the most mitigation possible on all pieces, reforging to 102.4%, and putting all excess mitigation into dodge/parry.

Does that sum things up accurately or am I missing something?
yappo
Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:46 am

Re: 4.2 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Pinupgirl_Madoran wrote:Understanding check:


Once you can hit 102.4% CTC...

For all further upgrades, isn't it basically "Whatever piece of gear has higher stats, overall, is better" ?

Strictly speaking in terms of gearing purely for avoidance... If I can stay at 102.4%, I'm reforging all extra stats into Dodge/Parry as equally as possible.


WRT the guide as a whole it values mastery above everything else, but one you're able to block cap, you're more concerned with essentially having the most mitigation possible on all pieces, reforging to 102.4%, and putting all excess mitigation into dodge/parry.

Does that sum things up accurately or am I missing something?


Depends on what you're tanking. I'd assume a normal mode raider to go your path, but a hard mode tank is likly to be more interested in extra stamina.
lythac
Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:57 am

Re: 4.2 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

Pinupgirl_Madoran wrote:WRT the guide as a whole it values mastery above everything else, but one you're able to block cap, you're more concerned with essentially having the most mitigation possible on all pieces, reforging to 102.4%, and putting all excess mitigation into dodge/parry.

Does that sum things up accurately or am I missing something?


I do not think so.

Once you reach block cap, you start swapping out Mastery gems for Sta gems and Eventually making your way from Mastery trinkets (on use/procs aside) to Sta trinkets.

We are not yet at the point where you can fully gem sta, dual sta trinket and still be at 102.4%
Pinupgirl_Madoran
Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:23 am

Re: 4.2 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

lythac wrote:
Pinupgirl_Madoran wrote:WRT the guide as a whole it values mastery above everything else, but one you're able to block cap, you're more concerned with essentially having the most mitigation possible on all pieces, reforging to 102.4%, and putting all excess mitigation into dodge/parry.

Does that sum things up accurately or am I missing something?


I do not think so.

Once you reach block cap, you start swapping out Mastery gems for Sta gems and Eventually making your way from Mastery trinkets (on use/procs aside) to Sta trinkets.

We are not yet at the point where you can fully gem sta, dual sta trinket and still be at 102.4%



Is it unreasonable for me to say that I wont be putting on stamina until I actually die to damage that I couldn't be healed quick enough from?


Don't get me wrong, I believe people when they say "Stamina for hardmodes" but I've yet to have a healer go "I would be totally OK with you sponging more mana, go put on some stam" and I've yet to die to damage that was too high to heal quick enough. When I run into these situations I have lots of different trinkets and flasks and such in my bag, I can adjust accordingly right then and there, and then play around with gems and such later.
RedAces
Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:16 am

Re: 4.2 Tank Stages and Cataclysm Gear Guide

On Nef 10H tanking Onyxia and all of the skeletons together put me in this situation - I was just unhealable with maxed CTC because the breath + the skeleton would kill me. So I changed my gear to have more stamina and we barely wiped in P1 after that.