Skip to content
Maintankadin

I saw a prot paladin with Mongoose on Tempest of Chaos

Meerien
Fri May 23, 2008 6:08 am
Mongoose is a chance for a chance to dodge. Most the *warrior* tanks I trust denounce it as too unreliable for mitigation, and thus favor Executioner.

Paladins get a much shittier version of this chant, with a half proc rate, compared to the Warrior.

So why am I throwing away free TPS for this?
Nottebella
Fri May 23, 2008 7:26 am
From what I can tell, Battlemaster is "supposed" to be the "tanking" enchant. Problem is, it sucks. What we need is a proc based tanking enchant that gives threat (either a specific amount, or a percent) and avoidance (or something like damage absorpsion) that is balanced for tanking (ie, for one weapon). Then make a one handed enchant for +4% threat (maybe one for dodge rating as well, though it would end up underpowered most likely), if people want something more stable. The current one handed agi enchant is too weak comparatively because it is balanced for dual weilding (as is mongoose for that matter), whereas the spellpower enchant is the equivalent of a 2-hander enchant. Hopefully WotLK will bring us something like that.
_________________
Nottebella - 70 - Emerald Dream
sbeacher
Sat May 24, 2008 10:50 am
I like how the early justifications for this were only based on "Well I saw a pally in t6 using it!"
_________________
Nicki
Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:08 am
this thread needs to die in a fire, if i see a paladin using mongoose im going to go crazy...

firstly it will make weapon speed 1.764 when mongoose procs, if your SoR hits for 258 (t6 level!~) 277.89 TPS compared to the original 272 TPS and we all know how good relying on a proc is for survival *cough redoubt as crushing blow immunity, would you consider that as viable?*

You gain 4.8% dodge and 5 TPS for 10 seconds 1 time per minute or 1% dodge +2 TPS(going to be humble and add the white damage as an estimate...) vs 25~ TPS

Sorry but threat is a stat even warriors respect as the more threat you can do the more DPS the dps is free to do. Seeing some T6 paladins say theyd rather have mongoose makes me lose all respect for them.

AND mongoose does not effect AOE threat! so its useless for the very reason you use a prot paladin!
_________________
To face death and glory with an equal smile
PsiVen
Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:49 am
I tried out mongoose on my Gavel for quite some time, but... It's just not compelling. The only time I care about avoidance is when I need consistent avoidance, either constantly there to prevent crushes or on demand when I need it most. The exception is AoE tanking where reckoning/parry makes it proc far more often and become a more reliable source of avoidance, so I still use my old Gavel when I don't need as much threat (farming).

Also, ToK is nice and I would probably have gotten the one after next if we hadn't stopped killing Archimonde 6 months ago. Let em eat S3/4 weapons, they don't have an excuse for not getting good arena ratings like tanks do Razz
_________________
Gladiator Psiven, 70 Tankadin (retired)
Rival Psivenia, 70 Warriorlol
Psivenne, 60 Bare

Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
Zimi
Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:17 am
i'm gonna change from mongoose to icy..see how many threads pop up Razz