Skip to content
Maintankadin

Is engineering worth it when tankatronics aren't necessary?

Onaga
Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:41 pm
Ive worn mine for a lil while now, but Ive never seen any... and I ran across Nargrand and Netherstorm and saw nothing
_________________
Onaga
Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:36 am
I just found a mote of air while wearing the goggles, and they never showed on the minimap... am I doing something wrong here or do I need to activate something?
_________________
Comma
Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:08 pm
Being able to teleport to Tanaris/BEM, or Winterspring/Area 52 if goblin, when having the chance to be Taurendin/Gnomadin/Bloodelfdin etc just OWNS! Im keeping engineering as long as I still want different looks from time to time.

For tanking purposes, however, there are upgrades in the game for any of the engieering crafts, so once you reach that level, JC/Enchanting are better.
_________________
Warrender
Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:55 am
BTW, I went ahead and made my tanking goggles a couple of weeks ago. I figured it was worth cleaning out some bank space worth of mats for a pretty solid tanking helm. Even if it was going to be eventually replaced by a MH/BT drop in the near future and it wasn't going to be used nearly as much as my T5 helm, it was still worth it IMO.
_________________
Rainge
Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:37 am
You never "replace" the engineering helm. Especially not the two sitting in the bank with Fire and Shadow Resist glyphs on them. You merely re-purpose them.

The goggles are one of the few tanking hats with loads of stamina and pure-avoidance (T6 and the off-set helm from Illidan being the only other hats in the same category). They make excellent resist helms - and if you haven't noticed, they're not Unique.
_________________
Lanicus
Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:16 pm
Not to beat a dead horse....but the general consensus with building up engineering for the goggles/trinkets is that it's worth it....what about if I do not have mining? Currently I'm skinning/enchant. Skinning to make gold and enchant to enchant my own stuff. Well, I rarely skin anymore for gold...Would it be worth dropping skinning and picking up engineering, even without mining as a profession? I imagine the mats to build up to 350 are relatively insanely priced...thoughts?
_________________
kalbear
Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:48 pm
Really, the mats for engineering aren't that expensive to get to the goggles, and a lot of them (many of the primals) don't require mining. Heck, one of the best skillups is the white smoke flare.

From 350-375 you need a lot of khorium and adamantite, but from 1-350 the most expensive thing you'll need is thorium.

The only problem with engineering is that for the most part, nothing you make can sell anywhere. Also, if you're an enchanter, you should work on making goggles. Those are easy to make, fairly cheap to produce, and give good results on DE.
Ilara
Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:20 am
I for one absolutely despise engineering. I will be rid of it the second I can get a viable replacement for the goggles. Unfortunately my guild is not that far progressed yet.
_________________
Ilara / Protection Paladin / 70 / Barthilas

"The sooner you get over the fact I tank with a mana bar and not a PMS bar, the sooner I can get to work proving it to you over and over."
Lanicus
Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:44 am
Just an FYI for those of you are interested...

I dropped skinning last night and worked on my engineering. Went from 0-300 in about 2 hours with about 300g. The gold hurts, since I was just starting to save up for my epic flyer, but the flyer can wait if I can get these goggles...

The primal nether is still going to be an issue for me. I don't think I'm geared well enough for heroics. Best I've done is through the first boss of heroic ramparts. I'm uncrittable, but not uncrushable. 10.7k hp unbuffed, and 12.4k armor. With King's the HP is better, but I dunno.

Armory Link:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Scarlet+Crusade&n=Lanicus
_________________
Ilara
Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:55 am
You are yet to get your sha'tar reputation up for the tanking shield? I recieved my Nether on normal BOT as I chain ran that for shatloads of reputation
_________________
Ilara / Protection Paladin / 70 / Barthilas

"The sooner you get over the fact I tank with a mana bar and not a PMS bar, the sooner I can get to work proving it to you over and over."