Skip to content
Maintankadin

Chestguard of the Stoic Guardian

Palafix
Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:55 am
The new badge chest is nice and I'm going to get it, but I'd replace it with T5 the moment I get it.


Dragonzbane
Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:11 am
I'm looking to get the Cape, Chest, and Legs.

I've been having a hard time figuring out which to go for first.

The Cape and Chest would be for heavy hitters and the legs would mostly be for add tanking I think.

Jere, the way I see it if I want to use the Gaurdian chest it will be in a situation where I won't want to where 4 pieces or T4 and it may even be a situation where I could get away with only 1 piece.

The chest and the cape will be used in situations were I want either max HP or max Avoidance.

The more I think about it the more I think I'll hold off on the legs until after the chest/cape as I have T5 legs already.

I may also consider the Boots for OTing mass adds like on solarian or tidewalker or al'ar. If they had better aviodance/mitigation I'd consider them for Leo and VR.
_________________
Dragonzbane - 70 Paladin - Khadgar
Furiouso
Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:30 am
Regarding mana issues and the size of your mana pool, I can see situations where a larger pool is nice. Say you have high avoidance and damage is pretty spiky, it's easy to get a string of complete misses/dodges/parries and wind up with zero mana left after a couple max-rank cycles, I think this has happened to me a few times. I suppose you could be paying better attention and stop spamming spells, but this is not always safe to do.

This would be magnified in a situation where you're not always receiving damage, like say on Lurker's adds or OTing Gruul. If you had a bigger pool you could be saving up more mana that would sometimes have gone to waste from being healed at full mana at one point.
Merise
Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:52 pm
Is everyone mostly planning to socket this with 3x SSoE's?

The chest seems to take a hit on defense compared to the vindicators hauberk which I am using atm, I haven't done the maths yet to see how this reflects on crushability for me personally, but looking at the stats it would still be an upgrade without 3x SSoE's in it.

I think the chest is my first purchase then the cloak and bracers.
_________________
Lieris
Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:10 pm
I never have problems with mana (except Morogrim where I really chain drink those mana pots). If I know a boss fight doesn't require so much in the way of defensive stats and I am to focus on threat then I "downgrade" my gear somewhat. On Vashj I used to get very mana starved tanking the nagas so I stopped using holy shield and now I am okay. The extra mana I get from my gear is really trivial compared to what defensive stats I could get instead.

I find that T4 is fine with intellect, it prepares you nicely for threat tanking in SSC/TK. T5 and T6 though I think the item points used on intellect are really wasted.
_________________
Furiouso
Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:27 pm
Hmm, about this chest, I think I'm going to have to put off getting it. I just got the T4 chest, and the set bonus is nice. Eventually this is going to be nice to have, but I will prioritize the following replacements:

Gilded Thorium Cloak -> Slik's Cloak of Placation
Wrynn Dynasty Greaves -> Unwavering Legguards
Belt of the Guardian -> Girdle of the Protector

The belt I'll switch in for boss tanking to maintain a high dodge rate, and the spell hit is unique and interesting for that as well. With these pieces and T4 chest instead of Stoic Guardian I should have the same-ish avoidance and a small loss in stamina.

Then the next two pieces to get are the bracers and chest.
Fearonir
Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:08 pm
The way it's working out in my head is this:

I'll have the t4 helm and chest. t5 shoulders. maiden's gloves (they're just too sexy to ignore at the level of progression my server is at). wrynn greaves (until 2.3 baby!). i really like the 2.3 cloak, but I love my devilshark too. void reaver bracers.

I really like the 2pc bonus of our t4, since 70% of my guild's dps far outgears me on the threat generation levels. Every little bit helps for me.
_________________
Mithos
Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:05 am
If you are MTing a boss, mana is not an issue. If you are on adds that need to die quickly that don't hit all that hard on you, then it becomes a problem (Al'ar is the prime example, especially with BT/MH geared DPSers, on progression kill it won't hurt as much but it does begin to show). I am very thankful for my decent mana pool gear, I can be at 7.5k mana with 18.4k HP buffed and 460 spell dmg ish, around 16/17% dodge/parry and ofc uncrushable, this is my gear of choice for add/trash situations usually. This is not to say that mana is the be all and end all of add tanking. Al'ar imo is a special case, it's such a long and boring fight. On Anatheron say I can nuke the adds to pieces with everything I have and come out with 100% mana. Same goes for Azgalor. Hydross is middle of the road, just need to control/feel how much threat you actually need without wasting mana.

This chest is a Main Tanking style chest, therefore needs no int tbh. There are far better items for aoe tanking and stuff like that. I am glad to see some more dedicated MTing items like the Black Temple Boots/Belt/Bracers being added, rather than mix matching some stuff thats suited better to other roles. I will be picking this up along with the cape immediatly. Legs - will have to see if I get T5 legs or not this week :p. Also need 100 badgers (yeah, badgers) for the FR gear. I am at 145 atm and need around 365 +30k honour for the trinket for all the stuff I need/want.
_________________