Skip to content
Maintankadin

Building the Ultimate Block Set (TM)

SellassieTanks
Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: Building the Ultimate Block Set (TM)

Word
Zakkarai
Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:40 am

Re: Building the Ultimate Block Set (TM)

Just thought that I would update this thread.

Ulduar was very kind to my efforts; although we're still working on Yogg, I am otherwise armed with just about the highest T8 block value gear (8.0 shoulders instead of 8.5). I admittedly did not break socket bonuses to do it, but still favored Strength (Strength/Defense in yellow sockets, Strength/Stamina in blue sockets) when socketing. After the 3.2 patch, I actually opted to drop the +20 Strength enchant to my weapon and +15 Strength enchant to my gloves in favor of +25 Hit/Crit and +20 Hit respectively. I did this while upgrading all my gems from rare to epic, so the end result was actually breaking even, pre-resocket/re-enchant, from a BV perspective. I gained a decent amount of stamina, 45 hit, and 25 crit. I also, just after 3.2, tanked a 25-man Naxxramas PUG and finally got my block value cloak. This was after months of guild runs and at least half a dozen PUG runs before this where the cloak had not dropped.

I've gotten a little less zealous in my "BV over all" stance, as evidenced by the upgrades to my weapon and gloves to 3.0+ enchants, and my choice of Greaves of the Stonewarder over Inexorable Sabatons (though I do still keep the latter around as rocket boots). That being said, I socketed my Boreal Guard for Strength and Strength/Stamina, and put Titanium Plating on it, so I definitely still believe in the power of overwhelming block value. Right now I'm sitting on 1613 Strength and 3218 Block Value, unbuffed. With food, elixirs, Horn of Winter, Kings, and various equipment effects active, I can and do surpass 4200 Block Value. While my Shield of Righteousness is long-since capped (I actually think I do less damage with it than pre-3.2!), I discovered something interesting:

I can now fully block the physical damage component of Hodir's Frozen Blows, negating the high frost damage component and eliminating the need for any frost resistance gear when tanking him. I can also reduce enough damage off of every attack that I am readily able to tank just about every boss in Ulduar, save for Vezax, due almost entirely to my refusal to respec from 1/2 Spiritual Attunement to 2/2 just for a single encounter. Following the "can I withstand two consecutive unavoided hits" rule, I am safe against even Thorim, unless his damage buff is allowed to stack to truly absurd levels.