In any of the content referenced by the OP, SoT isn't helping enough to justify it over SoI. If a mage somehow spikes 25k (wtf. considering the rating conversions, most peoples' dps went down or stayed the same from 80 epics to 346 pieces. unless that's AE dps on 3-4 targets... in which case SoT doesn't help either and HotR+GC procs are the vast majority of your threat. either way this isn't a raid boss threat thread.

) early enough to pull off you, it's probably before SoT is even stacked to 5.
In anything up to and including heroics, SoI is the way to go. Not only are the mana procs on swings relatively large compared to normal regen (900+ mana on a swing proc, same size as a JotW tick basically), but SoI
also has the added mana regen of 15% base mana on judge, to help holy paladins too. So, when you judge with SoI up, you also get 3500 mana back immediately.
Personally when I open on a boss, if positioning isn't absolutely volatile from the start I DP for 3 holy power, open up with 2-3 exorcisms (each is 25% of my bar), then shield, then judge, then SotR when he gets to me or i get to him, and i'm back over 50% before I know it, and I'm at 100% mana by the time I get back to judge again. This usually puts me around 150k-180k threat after the SotR if I get a SD crit proc. If I wanted to (i don't) i could drop consecration with impunity at any point in a fight with all the mana regen I have with SoI up. (This is just an example of what I can do with all this mana.)
The only time I start dipping on mana is when I'm in healer mode and just alternating a HoPo generator and WoG, without even taking a GCD to judge. Even that can go about a minute before I bottom out, and I usually can fit a judgement in there somewhere. -- Or, when I'm in cleansebot mode since I can do poisons and diseases and most healers are missing one of those from their cleanse options. Cleanse is expensive as a tank.
