Skip to content
Maintankadin

So many trinkets!

Senador
Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:24 am

Re: So many trinkets!

Which Cata bosses would it be good for? (i.e. which ones do bursts of damage it could be used to resist?)


Omnitron, if you are targeted by Flamethrower, while tanking the other active Golem.

Maloriak while having the debuff during Red Vial phase.

Nefarion’s electrocutes and breath attacks.

Conclave of Wind, Nezir’s cold cone, or ultimate.

Al’akir’s electrocute, Acid Rain and the lightning rod effect in phase 3.

Ascendant Council, Ignatius’ fire cone/AoE, Galciate, Lightning AoE

Cho’gall Flame Orders, phase 2 AoE
Loras
Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:26 pm

Re: So many trinkets!

Awyndel, instead of Tia's Grace, just pick the mastery/agi-on-use Tol Barad epic trinket. More passive mastery, and huge dodge-on-demand.
Olen
Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:36 pm

Re: So many trinkets!

IMO stick with Tia's Grace over Unsolvable Riddle. Tia's Grace provides more CCT against melee, while the 2m cd /use AGI only gives you 4ish% Dodge. That's hardly even a cooldown.
econ21
Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:23 am

Re: So many trinkets!

I think I will go for both Tia's Grace and Unsolvable Riddle for my default avoidance/mastery trinkets (for heroics). I will probably use the Tol Barad resistance one and a stamina one for raid bosses.

I did just buy Impetuous Query but after testing it out, think Unsolvable Riddle gets the nod. Unsolvable Riddle gives me a flat 0.87% more CTC. The on use effect is weaker, 3.97% dodge compared to 5.18%, but overall I think I would prefer a permanent 0.87% CTC to an extra 1.21% dodge on demand (0.87 points of which the Riddle would have blocked). I admit it's surprisingly close, however - given that we are comparing a 359 trinket with a 333 one.
Loras
Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:59 am

Re: So many trinkets!

Unsolvable Riddle gives more dodge on demand actually, since the Agility scales with BoK/MotW
econ21
Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: So many trinkets!

Loras wrote:Unsolvable Riddle gives more dodge on demand actually, since the Agility scales with BoK/MotW


Not for me it doesn't - those numbers I quoted are calculated from running the CTC macro before and after pressing the on use button for each trinket, while practicing on a dummy with BoK up.
Vort
Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:09 pm

Re: So many trinkets!

I'm not at home so I can't give hard numbers but I'm pretty sure Unsolvable Riddle grants me over just over 5% dodge. It's incredible if you're quite close to the cap and need it for a big string of incoming hits. If I pop it raid buffed I hit the 102.4%, only JUST but that's all I need.
Loras
Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: So many trinkets!

Nah, your numbers are off. I have 11.94% dodge unbuffed, and Unsolvable Riddle gives me something like 3.9x% dodge on use, if I buff myself with BoK/MotW, the dodge goes to 4.0x or something like that.

I don't know what macro you're using, but I can swear I've specifically tested it and seen the numbers on the character sheet increase the proper way.

P.S. And that's the thing that worried me and I was asking in another thread some time ago, but I didn't get a reply. Str -> Parry = 4:1. Agility, on the other hand, I read on these boards, is about 75% as effective as dodge, so should be Agi -> Dodge = 4:3. Which doesn't seem right, cause the Str use trinket from TB gives me just under 2% parry (~1600 str = ~400 parry = ~2% parry I guess), but the Agility on use gives me around 4% dodge, something like 2.x times more than the parry I get, so the ration, from that experiment, would be closer to Agi->Dodge = 2.x : 1. How come?
econ21
Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 am

Re: So many trinkets!

Loras wrote:Nah, your numbers are off. I have 11.94% dodge unbuffed, and Unsolvable Riddle gives me something like 3.9x% dodge on use, if I buff myself with BoK/MotW, the dodge goes to 4.0x or something like that.


I will check again tonight, but right now, I am not sure why you are disagreeing with me - my 3.97% with kings is the same as your 4.0x to one decimal place. Kings only buffs stats by 5%, so I would not expect a 3.9% to become the 5% Vort reports.

P.S. And that's the thing that worried me and I was asking in another thread some time ago, but I didn't get a reply. Str -> Parry = 4:1. Agility, on the other hand, I read on these boards, is about 75% as effective as dodge, so should be Agi -> Dodge = 4:3. Which doesn't seem right, cause the Str use trinket from TB gives me just under 2% parry (~1600 str = ~400 parry = ~2% parry I guess), but the Agility on use gives me around 4% dodge, something like 2.x times more than the parry I get, so the ration, from that experiment, would be closer to Agi->Dodge = 2.x : 1. How come?


What I took from one of theckhd's posts was that the conversion of agility to dodge for us is typically 0.6 rather than 0.75. I'll also test the strength one tonight and report back.
Loras
Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:03 am

Re: So many trinkets!

I'm disagreeing only because you said the Agility-on-demand is not affected by BoK, which is not the case :) Should've organized the post better, as half of it was for you, the other half for Vort.

And yeah, 0.6 sounds much more like it. Would be appreciated if you can post the link of that writing if you find it. Thanks :)