Dratheus wrote:First I'd like to say that as a pretty freshly dinged 80 Prot Pally this guide was VERY helpful on giving me an idea of the direction I'm needing to head in this new 4.01 environment. Second. Second I'm wondering if you can possibly give me some advice on where to pick up hit rating. I'm at the soft expertise cap now but currently the only thing giving me hit rating is the enchant on my weapon. I know I could always reforge it but I'd really rather put all that into Mastery for block. With that being said, I am using only heroic dungeon or t10 gear from vendors, I know theres a few rings and such I can pick up in ICC for some hit, when I pick up the last piece or 2 of gear I need before I tank there.
And on a side note. Trinkets. I currently have. Corroded Skeleton Key. And The Black Heart. I'm really considering replacing Black Heart for Glyph of Indomitability. But I'm being told that Ick's Rotting Thumb and other dodge based trinkets are better then ones providing stamina and armor now. Any advice on which to keep and which to toss out for others?
Thank you mate any advice at all will be much appreciated
Unfortunately there isn't any place else to get hit rating, unless you're willing to sacrifice stamina or mastery for it. Fortunately you don't need it. Are you losing threat to DPS who wait for you to be in melee range or get an MD before they unload on the mob?
No? Then you're fine on threat.
Yes? Then figure out what's wrong with either your rotation or the players you play with. They shouldn't take mobs from you when it matters.
On trash, when everyone wants to be lazy (except healers, who want to not be bored), switch in alternative gear with hit rating and more expertize and such to boost your threat.
Regarding trinkets, I think those giving you advice are mistaken. Avoidance is more important now, yes, because it's necessary to get to the block cap
to increase your effective health. Would I give up a little stamina or armor to get to the block cap? Yeah, probably by matching socket bonuses down to +6 sta. Would I give up a lot of armor or stamina for avoidance? No way. My guess is that those giving you advice are avoidance tanks who were dragged kicking and screaming into EH a year or two ago, and who now see this as a chance to reassert their preferred model.
When Cata releases and all our health bars bulge, the value of EH will reduce a bit further, I think leaving EH and avoidance about on par. But things shouldn't swing in drastic favor of avoidance and they certainly haven't done so yet, what with our small health pools and the still-massive size of ICC hits.