Here's what I have put together, drawing from lists for levels 1 and 2:
Heroic ready failsafe listHead:
[Grinning Fang Helm] /
[Crown of Wings] : Dragonmaw Clan / Wildhammer Clan (Revered)
Neck:
[Mountain's Mouth] : Guardians of Hyjal (Honored)
Shoulders:
[Sunburnt Pauldrons] : 1650 Justice Points
Back:
[Shroud of the Dead] : Ramkahen - Honored
Chest:
[Breastplate of the Witness] : Grim Batol (Quest)
Wrists:
[Dunwald's Finest Bindings] : Twilight Highlands (Quest)
Hands:
[Gloves of Gnomebliteration] : Uldum (Quest)
Waist:
[Girdle of the Mountains] : 1650 Justice Points
Legs:
[Stone-Wrapped Greaves] : The Earthen Ring (Honored)
Feet:
[Ramkahen Front Boots] : Lost City of the Tol'vir (Quest)
Finger #1:
[Red Rock Band] : Ramkahen (Revered)
Finger #2:
[Felsen's Ring of Resolve] : Therazane (Revered)
Trinket #1:
[Harrison's Insignia of Panache] : Uldum (Quest)
Trinket #2:
[Za'brok's Lucky Tooth] /
[Za'brok's Lucky Tooth] : Twilight Highlands (Quest)
Weapon:
[Mace of the Gullet] : Twilight Highlands (Quest)
[Dragonscorn Mace] : Twilight Highlands (Quest)
Shield:
[Truthbreaker Shield] : Req. Lev. 84 : Stormwind (Quest)
Relic:
[Shore-Cleansing Standard] There are a few slots where I am struggling - trinkets obviously. Also, the cloak is a dps one, but has mastery and there did not seem to be easy alternatives.
As I went to Vashj'ir and not Hyjal, I personally am stuck on the neck slot as I don't have any Hyjal rep. There are drops in Halls of Origination but as with the cloak I may just cheat and find a non-tank blue to get by.
I am not sure if the two JP purchases are the best use of ones 4000 honor, but I suspect they are ok. There are no obvious "failsafe" items in those slots (I fear the BS belt will be prohibitively expensive). JP items seem generally the best pre-raid gear, so we will probably end up doing a Yappo style blitz and filling most slots with them pre-raid. To that extent, it may not matter which ones we buy when - we will get 'em all eventually.
I have not done the maths, but hopefully the 346 items will balance out those items under level and get me to 329+ average.