Skip to content
Maintankadin

Best Paladin Tank Sword: Turning Tide...

Awyndel
Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:25 am

Re: Best Paladin Tank Sword: Turning Tide...

Is that a yes or a no? How about procs overlapping?

Has anybody tested how much extra coverage we actually get using 2 or more SS?
Jasari
Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:29 am

Re: Best Paladin Tank Sword: Turning Tide...

Awyndel wrote:Is that a yes or a no? How about procs overlapping?

Has anybody tested how much extra coverage we actually get using 2 or more SS?


That's a yes. You get however much extra coverage your shield absorbs by keeping it up.
Awyndel
Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:40 am

Re: Best Paladin Tank Sword: Turning Tide...

So overlap won't waste a proc?
Threatco
Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: Best Paladin Tank Sword: Turning Tide...

looks like 3x 6 second ones cover it.


0.0 I get hit. SS 1 procs a shield.

2.4 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 procs a shield.

4.8 I get hit. SS 2 shield is used. SS 3 procs a shield.

6.0 SS 1 comes off inner cooldown.

7.2 I get hit. SS 3 shield is used. SS 1 procs a shield.

8.4 SS 2 comes off inner cooldown

9.6 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 procs a shield.

10.8 SS 3 comes off inner cooldown.

12.0 I get hit. SS 2 shield is used. SS 3 procs a shield.

13.2 SS 1 comes off inner cooldown

14.4 I get hit. SS 3 shield is used. SS 1 procs a shield.

15.6 SS 2 comes off inner cooldown

16.8 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 procs a shield.

18.0 SS 3 comes off inner cooldown

19.2 I get hit. SS 2 shield is used. SS 3 procs a shield.

ECT...

Now let's assume SS 1 is from a 4 peice tier 8 holy paladin, meaing a 4 second inner cooldown instead of 6. One 4 and one 6 will not be enough

0.0 I get hit. SS 1 procs a shield.

2.4 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 procs a shield.

4.0 SS 1 comes off inner cooldown.

4.8 I get hit. SS 2 shield is used. SS 1 procs a shield.

7.2 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 is not ready yet!

8.4 SS 2 comes off inner cooldown


Now let's assume SS 1 and SS 2 is from a 4 peice tier 8 holy paladin, meaing 2x 4 second inner cooldown instead of 6. This provides maximum coverage.


0.0 I get hit. SS 1 procs a shield.

2.4 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 procs a shield.

4.0 SS 1 comes off inner cooldown.

4.8 I get hit. SS 2 shield is used. SS 1 procs a shield.

6.4 SS 2 comes off inner cooldown

7.2 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 procs a shield.

8.8 SS 1 comes off inner cooldown

9.6 I get hit. SS 2 shield is used. SS 1 procs a shield.

11.2 SS 2 comes off inner cooldown.

12.0 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 procs a shield.

13.6 SS 1 comes off inner cooldown

14.4 I get hit. SS 2 shield is used. SS 1 procs a shield.

16.0 SS 2 comes off inner cooldown

16.8 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 procs a shield.

18.8 SS 1 comes off inner cooldown

19.2 I get hit. SS 2 shield is used. SS 1 procs a shield.

ECT...


Reply please!
Awyndel
Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Best Paladin Tank Sword: Turning Tide...

Looks logical, if you get hit every time. But what I am more interested in is if it's worth if keeping a scared shield up on yourself when a holy pala is also doing it, well there be very much overlap? will it waste the procs of the holy paladins? Is it worth the gcd?

And then also is it worth speccing for it for only 20% extra, and an extra gcd?
Threatco
Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: Best Paladin Tank Sword: Turning Tide...

Threatco wrote:looks like 3x 6 second ones cover it.


0.0 I get hit. SS 1 procs a shield.

2.4 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 procs a shield.

4.8 I get hit. SS 2 shield is used. SS 3 procs a shield.

6.0 SS 1 comes off inner cooldown.

7.2 I get hit. SS 3 shield is used. SS 1 procs a shield.

8.4 SS 2 comes off inner cooldown

9.6 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 procs a shield.

10.8 SS 3 comes off inner cooldown.

12.0 I get hit. SS 2 shield is used. SS 3 procs a shield.

13.2 SS 1 comes off inner cooldown

14.4 I get hit. SS 3 shield is used. SS 1 procs a shield.

15.6 SS 2 comes off inner cooldown

16.8 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 procs a shield.

18.0 SS 3 comes off inner cooldown

19.2 I get hit. SS 2 shield is used. SS 3 procs a shield.

ECT...

Now let's assume SS 1 is from a 4 peice tier 8 holy paladin, meaing a 4 second inner cooldown instead of 6. One 4 and one 6 will not be enough

0.0 I get hit. SS 1 procs a shield.

2.4 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 procs a shield.

4.0 SS 1 comes off inner cooldown.

4.8 I get hit. SS 2 shield is used. SS 1 procs a shield.

7.2 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 is not ready yet!

8.4 SS 2 comes off inner cooldown


Now let's assume SS 1 and SS 2 is from a 4 peice tier 8 holy paladin, meaing 2x 4 second inner cooldown instead of 6. This provides maximum coverage.


0.0 I get hit. SS 1 procs a shield.

2.4 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 procs a shield.

4.0 SS 1 comes off inner cooldown.

4.8 I get hit. SS 2 shield is used. SS 1 procs a shield.

6.4 SS 2 comes off inner cooldown

7.2 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 procs a shield.

8.8 SS 1 comes off inner cooldown

9.6 I get hit. SS 2 shield is used. SS 1 procs a shield.

11.2 SS 2 comes off inner cooldown.

12.0 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 procs a shield.

13.6 SS 1 comes off inner cooldown

14.4 I get hit. SS 2 shield is used. SS 1 procs a shield.

16.0 SS 2 comes off inner cooldown

16.8 I get hit. SS 1 shield is used. SS 2 procs a shield.

18.8 SS 1 comes off inner cooldown

19.2 I get hit. SS 2 shield is used. SS 1 procs a shield.

ECT...


Reply please!




If you are using up the absorbtion shield from your holy paladin within 6 seconds and across 2 or more hits (basicly on ANYTHING) then yes it's totaly worth it to add another one, up to 3.
Awyndel
Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:26 am

Re: Best Paladin Tank Sword: Turning Tide...

I'm sorry but that does not answer my question as to the exact mechanics or the value of the talents. I appreciate the input though.
Threatco
Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:45 am

Re: Best Paladin Tank Sword: Turning Tide...

Im trying to get an answer from maijaben on this one. Why did he say it takes 4 people?
Awyndel
Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:29 am

Re: Best Paladin Tank Sword: Turning Tide...

I made us a new topic in talents. Since this is getting slightly off topic :D .
gmf1
Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Best Paladin Tank Sword: Turning Tide...

Who cares if it gives more threat? That's about the last thing on most tanks list, you do 0tps when your dead. You would also get more threat using a dps sword/mace/axe but does anyone?

I know people have different rankings for hp, avoidance, mitigation and threat but i doubt anyone has threat on top and if they do they are misinformed, or just plain stupid.
Solare
Wed Jun 24, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: Best Paladin Tank Sword: Turning Tide...

Meloree wrote:
Solare wrote:The author is also amused.


Can't blame you, egg on my face. I'm not convinced, though, that it's always optimal to put up your own SS. Assuming the holy paladin keeps it up, what's the marginal benefit of a 2nd... or a third? Is it worth the GCD not spent on threat, in a threat-sensitive situation? I'm not convinced that that's always the case, nor am I convinced that choosing to use SS with DG spec allows you to significantly alter gearing to increase threat. In other words, in the all-out threat situation, you're probably not SSing yourself anyway, so that option's pretty moot.

--
Meloree, <Edge>, Garona

Well, I can see your point. Abilities that trigger themselves are more reliable than ones you have to use yourself. (I still find myself sometimes not having Divine Plea up until I get the 'low mana' message, even though I'm glyphed for it. =P) But with 3 points invested in DG tree, the shield lasts for a minute. And even if you just have it up before the boss pull, that's still a minute of Sacred Shield mitigation you didn't have before. And in Ulduar hard modes, you take mitigation where ever you find it. Especially the kind that can protect you against energy attacks, our biggest weakness.

Now, I'm not saying L2P, you're doing it wrong. Hell, we all have something to learn, even if it's just knowing when to use your buttons. But in my book, a minute worth of mini bubbles is worth a GCD.
Thels
Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:16 am

Re: Best Paladin Tank Sword: Turning Tide...

You do realize this thread is 5 years old, and from the WotLK era?
Olen
Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:21 am

Re: Best Paladin Tank Sword: Turning Tide...

+1 for the link to hunting knives tho, well played