Skip to content
Maintankadin

Is Heavy Borean Armor Kit the best universal buff to gloves?

Eanin
Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:31 pm
Majiben wrote:
Eanin wrote:The problem with +15 str, as I see it, is that it is an inferior threat enchant to armsman, an inferior EH enchant to +18 stam, an inferior mitigation enchant to 240 armor and an inferior avoidances enchant to +20 agility.
Yeah but it is the best Dps enchant out there. Also it has no avoidance portion O.o


...and an inferior dps enchant to crusher. :)
majiben
Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:36 pm
Eanin wrote:
Majiben wrote:
Eanin wrote:The problem with +15 str, as I see it, is that it is an inferior threat enchant to armsman, an inferior EH enchant to +18 stam, an inferior mitigation enchant to 240 armor and an inferior avoidances enchant to +20 agility.
Yeah but it is the best Dps enchant out there. Also it has no avoidance portion O.o
...and an inferior dps enchant to crusher. :)
Actually no. You'll be suprised how good BV is for dps. Besides you're only trading 6 AP for 13 BV.
Martie
Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:08 pm
Majiben wrote:I find it curious how inconsistent your math was. You applied DR to some of the enchants but not others and failed to mention the base stats you were assuming.

+15str is not useless as you claim. For myself it reduces the incomming dps by the same amount until the hits are larger than 5000k as arms man. You completely ignored the DR on parry which for many oeople make 10 parry rating worth 70% of what it is worth without.


Honestly, I don't really care about mobs hitting me for 5k. Trash does that, they are called trash for a reason.

I used myself as a starting point, I'm a decently geared pally tank. I calculated in DR where it was a factor.
Parry rating is, as everyone knows, a secondary stat for avoidance. So the majority of parry will be coming from talents and defense, with what incidentals that come with gear. So the the parry that has DR applied to it will be around 6-7%.
Furthermore...
ABOUT
majiben
Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:17 pm
Martie wrote:
Majiben wrote:I find it curious how inconsistent your math was. You applied DR to some of the enchants but not others and failed to mention the base stats you were assuming.

+15str is not useless as you claim. For myself it reduces the incomming dps by the same amount until the hits are larger than 5000k as arms man. You completely ignored the DR on parry which for many oeople make 10 parry rating worth 70% of what it is worth without.
I used myself as a starting point, I'm a decently geared pally tank. I calculated in DR where it was a factor.
Parry rating is, as everyone knows, a secondary stat for avoidance. So the majority of parry will be coming from talents and defense, with what incidentals that come with gear. So the the parry that has DR applied to it will be around 6-7%.
Furthermore...
ABOUT
You're still wrong for doing your math inconsistently. You're also wrong for not stating your starting point explicitly, which you still haven't. You haven't even stated whether the self you're using is raid buffed or unbuffed.

Also you already have significant DR on parry. you're only getting 75% of the undiminished value of parry rating.
thenNATEgoes
Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:30 pm
Eanin wrote:
Majiben wrote:
Eanin wrote:The problem with +15 str, as I see it, is that it is an inferior threat enchant to armsman, an inferior EH enchant to +18 stam, an inferior mitigation enchant to 240 armor and an inferior avoidances enchant to +20 agility.
Yeah but it is the best Dps enchant out there. Also it has no avoidance portion O.o


...and an inferior dps enchant to crusher. :)


No. +44 Ap, doesn't scale with any raid buffs.

Raid buffed you're looking at possibly 19 strength, factoring divine strenght and kings, which also works to 38 AP, k crusher is +6 ap more, thats cool... Followed by the 12~13 BV mitigation + shield of righteous deeps and a little added bonus threat...

Out threating armsmen is another debate, but as far as a dps enchant for raids, +15str hands down ia a far more superior enchant than crusher.
Martie
Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:51 pm
Majiben wrote:You're still wrong for doing your math inconsistently. You're also wrong for not stating your starting point explicitly, which you still haven't. You haven't even stated whether the self you're using is raid buffed or unbuffed.

Also you already have significant DR on parry. you're only getting 75% of the undiminished value of parry rating.

Since there is no solid starting point, the numbers given were preceded by an 'about'.
http://dictionary.reference.com/dic?q=a ... rch=search
Look for entry 3.

Raid buffed or not is irrelevant in most cases. Where it is, I clearly mentioned it.

Talking about wrong math, you need 8.46% parry before diminishing returns to only get 75% of the rating's real value. (I naturally ignore the 10% that isn't affected by it and substracted it from the total.)(Explaining things that are common sense to me is annoying.)
8.46% parry requires 612 defense, which is a lot, or about (there's that word again. It denotes a number that is an estimate) 140 parry rating over your 540 defense. (Again, I feel the need to explain something that is common sense to me. Parry rating is not ideal to have, itemization value is better spent on other things, so having a lot shouldn't be aimed for. I'm at 122 myself, working on replacing those items with better things.)
Xanadiel
Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:49 pm
Martie wrote:
Majiben wrote:I used myself as a starting point, I'm a decently geared pally tank. I calculated in DR where it was a factor.
Parry rating is, as everyone knows, a secondary stat for avoidance. So the majority of parry will be coming from talents and defense, with what incidentals that come with gear. So the the parry that has DR applied to it will be around 6-7%.
Furthermore...
ABOUT


How cute, you still haven't dropped engineering which was likely the biggest disappointment for professions in WotLK.

Also, parry may warrant you less avoidance per rating and also suffers from diminishing returns, but the fact is that most avoidance sets are itemized with +dodge and +parry. You're going to be gaining a large amount of parry even if you don't want it.

On other notes, I'm currently using Armsmen on my cheap T7, but will most likely switch over to 20 Agi or 240 armor on my next upgrade. As has already been stated in this topic, Armsmen is the poor man's 20 Agi. If I see a threat loss (which is most likely going to be negligible) I'll switch over to 15 Str, because it is both a threat boost and a damage reduction factor.
thenNATEgoes
Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:53 am
Martie wrote:I still haven't gotten an upgrade for my goggles either.


That's what I waited for 'til I dropped engineering.

Yar, that's one of the reasons I figured so many people chose armsment.. Either unaware of the choices they had or just waiting till an upgrade.
Neroth
Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:36 am
Got my T7.5 gloves last night and promptly put Agility on them.

Until I'm comfortably block capped or until I'm pushed any at all on Threat I'll take the avoidance +crit +Armor.
majiben
Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:34 pm
Tuberon wrote:Best glove enchant:

Blacksmithing:Socket Gloves
Not an enchant.
theckhd
Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:22 pm
Conaan! wrote:personally armsman is the best choice

pro's:
Threat
--Burst threat increased for grabbing certain mob faster
--Steady threat increase for malygos type fights where there is high damage increase for damage dealers but not tanks

Mitigation
--Provides a stat that is subject to less DR then dodge

Cons':
Threat
--no lolprot dps'ing with this enchant and RF on
--Threat really isnt a issue for most fights

Mitigation
--loss of stam enchant slot
--could have large DR on parry

I don't follow your logic here. If all of those Pros and Cons are referring to Armsman, then the two bolded sections contradict each other. And Parry is subject to far worse DR than dodge, making it inferior to Agility for avoidance.

If "Threat" is referring to Armsman and "Mitigation" refers to Agility, then both bolded sections are just plain incorrect.

Personally, I stick with the old rule of thumb: Enchant to the strength of the item. If you're considering a BV/EH item, then stam or armor would be your choice. An avoidance item would get Agility, and so forth.

For example, I put Armsman on Gauntlets of the Disobedient because I intend to use them mostly for a trash tanking set, and I like the extra threat for AoE tanking. On the other hand, T7.5 gloves get Agility for an avoidance set.
Conaan!
Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:45 am
theckhd wrote:
Conaan! wrote:personally armsman is the best choice

pro's:
Threat
--Burst threat increased for grabbing certain mob faster
--Steady threat increase for malygos type fights where there is high damage increase for damage dealers but not tanks

Mitigation
--Provides a stat that is subject to less DR then dodge

Cons':
Threat
--no lolprot dps'ing with this enchant and RF on
--Threat really isnt a issue for most fights

Mitigation
--loss of stam enchant slot
--could have large DR on parry

I don't follow your logic here. If all of those Pros and Cons are referring to Armsman, then the two bolded sections contradict each other. And Parry is subject to far worse DR than dodge, making it inferior to Agility for avoidance.

If "Threat" is referring to Armsman and "Mitigation" refers to Agility, then both bolded sections are just plain incorrect.

Personally, I stick with the old rule of thumb: Enchant to the strength of the item. If you're considering a BV/EH item, then stam or armor would be your choice. An avoidance item would get Agility, and so forth.

For example, I put Armsman on Gauntlets of the Disobedient because I intend to use them mostly for a trash tanking set, and I like the extra threat for AoE tanking. On the other hand, T7.5 gloves get Agility for an avoidance set.


im talking armsmen, and no, they dont contradict

on one hand you could have low parry that isnt subject to DR, so your parry rating is used to its fullest, where on the other hand you may have tons of parry, making it worth less because of DR
Deet
Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:23 am
I picked Heavy Borean Armor Kit not because it was particularly best at anything, but rather I consider it practically the only glove "enchant" that is utilized irrelevant of situation, which I think is the only way to evaluate what the universally "best" enchant is. This does not mean that you should always use it or anything like that, just that it's the only one I see other than expertise/hit that is always effectively serving it's purpose.

Armor/Parry/Agility won't help you against casters, Threat won't necessarily have any positive impact you when you already have a surplus (which really isn't hard with this expansion,) and increased damage while being nice certainly isn't at the top of the priority list. However, I consider increased health universally useful, so I consider the stam kit universally "best." I'm using armsman right now because it was an easy way to level my enchanting and I think it's a very nice enchant. Still, from the perspective of tanking any given any given situation I don't think you can really beat stamina in terms of how universally effective it can be.
majiben
Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:03 am
Conaan! wrote:
theckhd wrote:
Conaan! wrote:personally armsman is the best choice

pro's:
Threat
--Burst threat increased for grabbing certain mob faster
--Steady threat increase for malygos type fights where there is high damage increase for damage dealers but not tanks

Mitigation
--Provides a stat that is subject to less DR then dodge

Cons':
Threat
--no lolprot dps'ing with this enchant and RF on
--Threat really isnt a issue for most fights

Mitigation
--loss of stam enchant slot
--could have large DR on parry

I don't follow your logic here. If all of those Pros and Cons are referring to Armsman, then the two bolded sections contradict each other. And Parry is subject to far worse DR than dodge, making it inferior to Agility for avoidance.

If "Threat" is referring to Armsman and "Mitigation" refers to Agility, then both bolded sections are just plain incorrect.

Personally, I stick with the old rule of thumb: Enchant to the strength of the item. If you're considering a BV/EH item, then stam or armor would be your choice. An avoidance item would get Agility, and so forth.

For example, I put Armsman on Gauntlets of the Disobedient because I intend to use them mostly for a trash tanking set, and I like the extra threat for AoE tanking. On the other hand, T7.5 gloves get Agility for an avoidance set.


im talking armsmen, and no, they dont contradict

on one hand you could have low parry that isnt subject to DR, so your parry rating is used to its fullest, where on the other hand you may have tons of parry, making it worth less because of DR
If your parry isn't being sevrely affected by DR then you are below the defense minimum. Defense rating affects, miss, dodge, and parry's DR.
theckhd
Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:27 am
Conaan! wrote:im talking armsmen, and no, they dont contradict

on one hand you could have low parry that isnt subject to DR, so your parry rating is used to its fullest, where on the other hand you may have tons of parry, making it worth less because of DR

Without that clarification, they are contradictory. If i say:
Con: My house is more likely to catch on fire
Pro: My house won't catch on fire
those are contradictory if I forget to add "when it's raining" to the second one. Specifying that you're considering very different scenarios is pretty important in that case.

In addition, when discussing diminishing returns, one is usually referring to the entire range of that stat, in which case it's incorrect to say Parry is subject to less DR than dodge. If your pro under "mitigation" had read "For a character with very low parry and high dodge, Parry rating can give more avoidance than Dodge rating," then we'd be in complete agreement. But as you'll see, that very specific case is also pretty unrealistic.

More to the point, I don't know any tankadin that has low parry. Perhaps if you're in really low-ilvl starter gear after just hitting 70. The ilvl 200+ gear that drops in raids is already overbudgeted on parry, so if you're getting any Naxx gear you're going to have more parry than you want in the first place. I think it's safe to say that for anybody who's got gear appropriate for 25-man raid tanking, parry will see worse diminishing returns than dodge.

This thread gives more of the theorycrafting behind it, but at current gear levels, ideal ratios would be equal parts dodge and defense rating, and a parry rating equal to approximately 1/5 of your dodge rating.

Which means your very specific (very low parry and high dodge) case where Parry is better than Dodge is also unrealistic for anyone who's at the level of tanking heroics or higher. Overall, this means Armsman is a bad "best choice" to be suggesting for the vast majority of tankadins.

edit: and Majiben beat me to it by 20-odd minutes.
majiben
Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:39 am
theckhd wrote:edit: and Majiben beat me to it by 20-odd minutes.
You said it better :-)