Skip to content
Maintankadin

When did you start Heroics? (Poll)

Digren
Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:22 pm
I did my first heroic last night, summoned to it seconds after getting an enchant that put me at 535 defense.

I've been 80 for a while, but refused to run a heroic when it could make me look bad. I'm known to be a king among tanks for surviving longer than everyone else (thanks to some key boss fights over the past few years when I've been the only tank or only player alive with no healers for extended periods, and managed to hold on to win). Why hurt my rep even among friends?
Pallypete
Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:48 pm
I hit heroics as soon as I hit 80, but I had goggles + titansteel shield and boots, plus pretty well all the BOE tank gear there is waiting for me enchanted in my bank. I hate trying to run instances I can barely survive if I have gear options available to me that just require some gold or farming.
knaughty
Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:54 pm
Pallypete wrote:I hit heroics as soon as I hit 80, but I had goggles + titansteel shield and boots, plus pretty well all the BOE tank gear there is waiting for me enchanted in my bank. I hate trying to run instances I can barely survive if I have gear options available to me that just require some gold or farming.

This.
Zoltar
Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:33 pm
Yeah I had all the craftables made, enchanted and in my bank. I hit 80, went to the trainer to tweak my spec and get the 80 talents, followed by the bank to get my gear out, vendored the crap I was wearing, grabbed my healer, advertised in /g for 3 DPS and went to H-Strat.
knaughty
Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:05 pm
Zoltar wrote:Yeah I had all the craftables made, enchanted and in my bank. I hit 80, went to the trainer to tweak my spec and get the 80 talents, followed by the bank to get my gear out, vendored the crap I was wearing, grabbed my healer, advertised in /g for 3 DPS and went to H-Strat.

Mine wasn't even enchanted, because our enchanters hadn't reached the required rep/quest/skill levels.

And I'm not putting expensive enchants on pre-raid gear.

Some of my gear still isn't enchanted. EG: Keep forgetting to buy a head enchant. The content basically doesn't require it, I'm not going to bother until I have "best in slot", and that is simply in prep for zerging Uldaur.
Mishakal
Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:23 pm
The moment I dinged 80 I was ready for heroics, that was only yesterday, 21K HP, 21K Armor, 560 Def ... So ready for Heroics, but tanking 10 mans tonight instead.
Liquidant
Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:54 am
working on defense and enchants seeing as i never got chance to run
much in BC due to starting the pally and letting the rogue slip to one side..

So even though i'm commfortable running regular i'm still a bit scared to hit the heroics just in case i fail even though i'm gagging to.

still so much for me to learn

this is me now


http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Magtheridon&n=Liquidant
Logane
Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:44 am
I voted as soon as I hit 80, but in reality, it's a mixed bag. I dinged 80, got into a H Ahn'Kahet group and ran it. That was roughly 534 defense and 18.5 unbuffed health ( about 23k armor ). It was dicey at points, but overall a good run. Since then, however, I've been working on raising my HP, seeing as how I basically have to tell everyone what my stats are, get invited to the group, get to the instance, and then have at least 1 or 2 people leave before zoning in because my HP is too low. I got tired of that happening, and am now looking to make my future a bit smoother.
TheBaldGuy
Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:06 pm
Fedaykin98 wrote:I haven't run Gundrak on heroic yet, and haven't run Draktheron Keep, The Occulus, nor either Halls of _________ on any difficulty.

I'd recommend someone just starting heroics to prioritize VH, Pinnacle, and Old Strat for the great epics you can get, as well as UK and Nexus for badges - and the Nexus has a good helm, too.


I hit 80 and that day was tanking Heroic Oculus. At 514 defense, and well lets not talk about how "much" health I had. Only died once the first trash area (someone pulled the next group during the fight) and once on the ring boss - the rest were on the drakes on the final boss.

That said .... I'd prioritize mostly the same way:

Nexus, VH, Utgarde, and CoS. If you've got a few hours at a time, in that order. Hit Nexus, hearth, hit VH. Fly to Utgarde and do Keep and Pinnacle. hearth, Culling of Stratholme. If your hearth isn't up, and someone has the key, go do Onyxia, then hearth back to Dalran.

A few runs through that sequence and you'll have the badges for some nice upgrades such as the Libram of Obstruction (15, so first cycle) and the badge neckpiece (40, so maybe the third run). If you are lucky you could also have the Helm, Shield, Sword, Legplates, a proto-drake, and Lavanthor's item. No, that didn't happen for me. :( I'l still waiting for every damned one of those. Well, maybe not the shield, I made the TSW. Curiously, it still has not dropped.

Oh, and you'll earn something like 8000 rep per cycle. I'd say Argent Crusade and/or Wyrmwrest would be good first choices.
Tiranknight
Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:13 am
I waited a little bit after I turned 80, but not too long I bought some of the daunting pieces, and I'm pretty sure I had the Titansteel Shieldwall crafted before I stepped foot into my first Heroic.