Skip to content
Maintankadin

Ragemane's Flipper Quest Rewards

Veilan
Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:38 pm
The Hammer.

Axes are for orcs, and sw... .. IS THIS A SWORD? LUXURY!
majiben
Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:25 pm
Guillex wrote:
Majiben wrote:
2ndNin wrote:If you have racial expertise the mace wins. If you don't and are looking at 80 the axe, and for short gains the sword.


The sword is also a viable choice for humans. Humans should always pick the sword over the mace.


Viable choice yes.

ALWAYS pick it over the mace? No.

It all depends on what you need more of, or are lacking in.

And last I checked, we had a Mace AND Sword racial passive.
You're right that I'm wrong but for the wrong reason. I mixed up the mace and sword stats.

I'm revising my statment to be
Humans should always pick the mace over the sword. More avoidance, and threat.
Danth
Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:59 pm
I took the sword because I'll be using swords at 80 and that way I build up weapon skill as I level. I don't like maces anyway, and axes aren't something I consider an option at all. The lack of defense in that sword is a minor short-term inconvenience.

Danth
guillex
Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:15 am
Majiben wrote:
Guillex wrote:
Majiben wrote:
2ndNin wrote:If you have racial expertise the mace wins. If you don't and are looking at 80 the axe, and for short gains the sword.


The sword is also a viable choice for humans. Humans should always pick the sword over the mace.


Viable choice yes.

ALWAYS pick it over the mace? No.

It all depends on what you need more of, or are lacking in.

And last I checked, we had a Mace AND Sword racial passive.
You're right that I'm wrong but for the wrong reason. I mixed up the mace and sword stats.

I'm revising my statment to be
Humans should always pick the mace over the sword. More avoidance, and threat.


Whether or not it was for the wrong reason, the statement was still wrong, hence misleading.

It's all gravy, just wanted to be crystal clear on what was being conveyed.
Discus
Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:12 am
Can this questline be soloed and where do I pick it up?
econ21
Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:17 am
Discus wrote:Can this questline be soloed and where do I pick it up?


It's in Zul Drak, off a wanted poster - I think (32.2, 75.7), but I am not sure.

Eminently soloable at level 74 if you have badge standard gear - seal and judge light, spam divine plea. The only problem for me was mana, so I used lay on hands to get some more and ended at full health (but zero mana!).

Nothing prepared me for the hideousness of the mace though. Made me nostalgic for my Fox's Glacier Mint on a Stick.
Digren
Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:19 am
Discus wrote:Can this questline be soloed and where do I pick it up?


It's a wanted poster in Zul'Drak. It was soloable at 76 (or would have been - halfway through he was on track to burn through about 2.2x my health, which means I would have easily won with a LoH and a bubble+heal to full, but then another group showed up and burnt him down so they didn't have to wait for me).

I went with the hammer. I don't like maces, and much prefer a sword or axe (like the Brutalizer I've been using since 3.0 to last night). However the defense rating was vital. The deciding factor was actually the expertise; I actually get around twice as much expertise from the mace due to my racial, plus the "free" dodge rating and strength. I don't think ~7 defense rating was enough to offset those.
Tiranknight
Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:20 am
I don't mind the look of the Mace at all.. Remember most of us used to equip that Purple Lollipop Mace from Hyjal before and wore it with pride.
Discus
Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:10 am
Thanks, that's tonight's mission :)

I was told by guildies there's a ring-of-blood style quest in ZD too that drops nice tanking weapon - how do they compare or are they one and the same?
Elsie
Wed Dec 03, 2008 9:53 pm
Tyaera wrote:Swords are better than maces and axes in the looks department. I took the sword.

qft
yappo
Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:05 am
Discus wrote:Can this questline be soloed and where do I pick it up?


Easily soloable at 74 if you're specced prot. Even if you hit 70 just prior to WotLK (read green and blue Outland gear when you arrive in Northrend). You WILL need to bubble-heal once and use Lay on Hands. I even popped a potion, but that wasn't really needed.

Wanted poster at Zul FP. Lake close to the SW (or is that SE), and you'll see a 76 elite swimming around in it.
Kellel
Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:31 am
Discus wrote:Can this questline be soloed and where do I pick it up?


This happened to me at lvl 74:

[to me:] Hey, can you give me a hand with the Ragemane quest?
[from me:] sure, no problem
[to me:] do you think we can get him with just the two of us
[from me:] i hope so, I just solo'd him no problem.
[to me:] I hate pally's.


lol. Yup at lvl 74 in Kara/ZA gear I was able to solo him. He was the first group quest that I solo'd and needed a Lay on Hands. Just keep your holy shield up at all costs.
Trixia
Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:48 pm
EvilNuff wrote:No, its not. Its actually quite hard to reach the uncritable cap at 80. I am currently wearing several pieces of inferior gear just for the higher def on them.


OMG... I HATE when people say this...

Reaching uncritable at 80 is SOOOOOOOO easy. Just the crafted stuff alone with a few quest rewards here and there gets you to 540 DEF rating. And you ONLY NEED 535 to run heroics. Not to mention the +DEF enchants you can add to your BP/Shield/Bracer/Cloak/Helm/Shoulder if your STILL lacking +Def, and Gemming for +Def.

It's maintaining uncritable when you upgrade your blues to epics that's a bit more difficult at times. Since often times your blues, especially the crafted ones, have high DEF rating, and the epics have a medium DEF rating, and alternative stats like dodge/parry/expertise/hit/block/etc.
Fedaykin98
Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:48 pm
Elsie wrote:
Tyaera wrote:Swords are better than maces and axes in the looks department. I took the sword.

qft


Word up. Haven't gotten around to doing the quest yet, though; wife and I are questing through the area and doing the quests in the order that the Almighty Questhelper tells us.

Seriously, I was very, very sad when I upgraded my Crystalforged Sword to an S2 mace. When 3.0 came out and I was able to move to my King's Defender, I was a happy, happy guy.

So Honors: No, maces don't feel better to me. I think of Paladins as holy knights, and I associate knights with swords. An axe is worse than a mace, though, in my mind. In the end I'll use whatever the best item I can find is, but I'm happy to have sword options, and very pleased that the Red Sword of Courage is out there. Looking forward to it.
Trixia
Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:47 am
Fedaykin98 wrote:Okay, so after posting that, my wife and I finally did the quest last night. And when I really looked at the stats of each...I took the mace.

That said, if the sword had been cool-looking, I might have taken it. It's not an end-game weapon, and this is a "game", supposed to have fun and play how we like, etc. But it seemed like the mace was the obviously best choice.


Mace will easily last you till 78. At 78 you can run HoL and snag an Eternally Folded Blade.

So in reality, none of the rewards from that quest really matter. Grab whatever you think looks best. Being at 535 Def for Normal HoL is overkill by a large margin. That place is doable before level 78, but not much point to getting loot you can't use :)

Eternally Folded will last you to 80 and beyond. At that point you can hole up in UPinnacle on Heroics until your RSOC Drops :)
Veilan
Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:44 am
Fedaykin98 wrote:I think of Paladins as holy knights, and I associate knights with swords.


Well maybe you do, but the Silver Hand sure doesn't.

I quoted "Is that a sword? Luxury! Is that a helmet? Vanity! Is that a horse? Sloth!" already, didn't I? :)

That said, most swords do look sexier :(.