Skip to content
Maintankadin

I saw a prot paladin with Mongoose on Tempest of Chaos

Lakirby
Wed May 21, 2008 3:00 pm
I'm actually tempted to try get an Amani Punisher and enchant mongoose on it, and use it as my MT wep. Or maybe grab another HoJ at some stage and goose it up.
_________________



<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 7/9 BT
Worldie
Thu May 22, 2008 1:24 am
I passed 8 Tempest of Chaos to the casters, just cause i know how they would feel if i did something like that (which i'll do whenever i get my hands on it)
_________________

Morganim
Thu May 22, 2008 7:27 am
i doubt i will ever see ToK
2 warlocks still need it both higher DKP than me, and we dont do MH anymoer but.

If you go into sunwell and see how hard you are able to get facesmashed for with the 20% dodge loss you will start to love mongoose as well Razz
_________________
Nottebella
Thu May 22, 2008 10:58 am
In T4, it is commonly said that your weapon alone provides enough SD threat. This was true with ~120 sd blues, and now the Cudgel and/or arena mace mean that almost everyone should have a 200+ sd weapon. In T4 your stam and avoidance are often low and you are more vulnerable to quick unlucky death.

In T5, your non-weapon SD has risen, and you are still unlikely to have dps pushing your threat. I've not seen any significant complaints regarding paladins when it comes to needing more threat at the T5 level.

In T6+, it would seem that threat starts to become an issue. Yet the tps from Major Spellpower doesn't scale at all and provides the lowest percentage of your total threat at this level than any other, whereas the increased dodge is of more value than ever.

So, it would seem that mongoose>spellpower at all levels of raiding. So why is it that the conventional wisdom (and the predominant number of threads on this forum) is the opposite?

Oh, and mongoose definitely looks better.
_________________
Nottebella - 70 - Emerald Dream
Zaffira
Thu May 22, 2008 12:08 pm
I'm liking the logic in this thread.

Spell dmg is one of those things that you need a lot of to see a noticeable difference, whereas if one proc from mongoose keeps you from eating an 8k boss hit (or series of hits) it would seem to be *much* more valuable.

That being said I started to put together different armor sets for different situations. For example I have the following wardrobe configurations set up:

Max Health/Max Avoidance set: 16.3k unbuffed health, 22% dodge, 27% block, 418 BV, 439 SD. This is my what I wear whenever I'm MT'ing anything, i.e. all the bosses in ZA, etc.

Max BV set: 15.7k unbuffed health, 19.5% dodge, 30.5% block, 633 BV, 376 SD. There are still a few more pieces I'm looking for to get this up to around 700 BV. This is what I wear when I'm ae tanking large groups of melee mobs (i.e. SH Heroic runs).

Trash Packs AE tanking/threat set: 14.4k unbuffed health, 20% dodge, 24.7% block, 548 BV, 528 SD. I wear this when I'm concerned about picking up large groups of mobs quickly and holding threat while they are AE'd down, i.e. dragonhawks in ZA or TK.

Max Threat/SD set: 14.5k unbuffed, 19% dodge, 28.6% block, 424 BV, 578 SD. This is what I wear when I'm expected to be gaining secondary threat on any boss, i.e. Void Reaver, Gruul, etc. I can usually keep 2nd on threat with this set as long as I have mana.

Max Dodge Set: 15.2k unbuffed, 28% dodge, 23% block, 418 BV, 156 SD. To be honest, I haven't tried this set out yet--too worried about keeping threat with such high dodge and such low SD. Might try it out on Hex-Lord one of these days.

On all of these sets I have Libram of Divine Purpose equipped, which adds a little extra threat from Seal of Rightousness.

So at the end of the day, it would seem like mongoose would be appropriate for any of these sets except maybe my max-threat set. I may have to enchant my Amani Punisher with Mongoose afterall!
_________________
Mitton
Fri May 23, 2008 4:43 am
i typically run with two weapons, my cudgel with spell dmg and my cudgel with mongoose.
depending on how much time i have to build aggro until the dps hits the boss (i.e. hex lord) i'll use the spell dmg one first to snag aggro and switch to mongoose one when i have a second to spare.

i'll wait for a proc, then swap back

it doesnt hurt my threat much, and it adds a bit more avoidance which never hurts
_________________
Nothing says pallatank like ADD!


Janduin
Fri May 23, 2008 4:57 am
I guess I'm just more of a min-maxer. If I'm way ahead in threat and getting the crap beat out of me, or threat doesn't matter, I'll use my Sun Eater with Mongoose. If not, I use my Hammer of Judgment with +40 spell damage. Granted, with the amount of spell damage difference between these two options, I can see someone wanting a weapon combo with some middle ground.
_________________