Skip to content
Maintankadin

Gimping your shield to tank 5 mans when overgeared

Eanin
Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:41 am
I have some spelldamage gear for normal instances. I figure if I'm going to gimp myself, I may as well do some damage out of it. My favourite is my Drape of the Righteous. Any piece of boring old "of the sorcerer" plate does nicely as well.

However, I rarely do normal instances anymore. Before 2.3, normal instance groups were the best way to grind rep. Nowadays, it's almost impossible to find a normal instance groups; everyone wants to run heroics. I don't think I've run a normal instance in a month.
_________________
Maranus
Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:48 am
Pull more.
In BM, wear healing gear.
_________________

You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
ShrtOrdrCook
Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:41 am
There are a few good fun downgrading gears I've found. You can get a Death Wing Brood Cloak of the Knight from the dragon scales up in Blades Edge. Stam, spell damage, and defense rating (sweet). There is also a blue ring that drops from the 4 summoned skettis bosses (Skettis Ring of the Crusade) also with similar stats, and then there is also the Ring of the Silver Hand from the last boss in SV. I usually wear those along with the Righteous dungeon set and all is well. More spell damage than your group knows what to do with.

You can encourage your spiky DPS'ers to try and pull threat from you, its a fun game. I once made the challenge to a friend of mine who is a deep fire spec mage, buffed up to the max and so did I and with no salv I told him to try and pull threat from me. He was sporting about 40% chance to crit with kings on and group buffs. I won Smile.
_________________
Shampookie
Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:17 am
my gears not all that great atm, but pulling more always works for me, like normal SH i had 19-20 mobs on me and no mana probs...just make sure ur heals is geared enuff to take it...bosses thesres normally fuckup things you can do, for instance normal SH on the first boss, after u go oom frontloading threat stand in a void zone w/ur back to the whirlwind, hop out when u hit 35% rinse and repeat.
Trevize
Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:26 am
Please get the sporregar shield! The most fun you will have is when you're aoe grinding some mobs and a fury warrior or something tried to gank you and kills himself...and you don't even realize you were just pvp'ing lol.

I actually had a similar problem the other day in regular SH. Helping some alts and i was taking no dmg at all. My solution was.....pull more mobs lol.
_________________

Boomadin on the weekends...pardon the horrendous tanking stats.
Frickit
Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:39 am
isnt the point of having a female be prot tank to be able to get away with tankin in your skivvys? if you were a male dwarf id leave party.
_________________
Viycktor
Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:18 pm
I got the sporregar shield as soon as I had the rep (was probably level 64 or so by then). Fabulous shield, great for when you're overgeared.

Currently have 18 stam on it because I was helping a friend to level enchanting, but a shield spike works just as well. I always keep it with me, massive fun. Had my healer making fun of me in heroic Arc the other day on some of the AoE trash pulls. Wink

If you've vendored your blue gear, it could be tough. The goal for downgrading gear for 5-mans is to find gear that gives spell damage and sacrifices avoidance (block I consider OK) and not too much stam. And there are a few great quest pieces that do this (the hands of fate for example)

Holy gear (most of my holy gear is pvp gear, so it has a good amount of stam) is usually a good option, or just some spell damage neck/rings.

Actually... I hate to admit it, but I made them just to get a few points while leveling blacksmithing... The Khorium set, or just a few pieces are great for these situations. Decent spell damage, int, mp5, and stam. Whenever I find myself overgeared, I toss on one or two of these pieces (boots, legs, belt - I usually use the belt as I have nice spell damage epic boots and am still using the Timewarden's legs). If you happen to be running a group through regular BM... with some decent spell damage gear you can really tear up the damage. (throw in a Ret pally to help if you want to mage your rogues cry)

They need to add an epic craftable shield to the game that has an upgraded proc like the Sporregar shield!
Fixate
Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:20 am
I <3 my PLG long time. That said, I tank 5-mans in my PvP/healing set.
_________________
Fixate - Ysera