Skip to content
Maintankadin

~19K HP. "Is that your tanking gear?"

Threatco
Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:02 am
No gems enchants?

Go do dailys and get out of LFG.
_________________


At 540 Defense, when the tooltip says you have 5.6% chance to be missed, you really have a 4.11%.
mavfin
Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:47 pm
As far as enchants and gems: On stuff that I know I'll be replacing, I still gem/enchant it. I may not buy blue-quality gems for it, but I'll buy greens or perfect greens for it. I may not buy expensive enchants for stuff, but I'll *at least* slap an armor kit for 12 or 18 stam on it. I also get some enchants from guildies who are skilling up enchanting, especially when my melter alt has the mats, and I have JC friends who send me tanking gems that they used to skill up.

So, yes, I do see reasons not to pour cash into expensive enchants/blue-quality gems for blue gear, but I don't see any reason to not toss some good green-quality gems and armor kits on there. It all adds up.
_________________
--Mav
Martie
Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:30 am
I'm not gonna be so nice about it.

You are complaining about having too little hp, but in the mean time, you are being cheap about it.

Find yourself a blacksmith and have some of those armor pieces made, or buy them on the AH.

Empty slots is not forgivable. If you don't want to spend a lot of money on it, put the cheaper variants of the gems in it.

Have yourself one of the icebane items made. They have lots of stamina and gem slots, so once you enchant it, you should still be able to be at the defense you want. Plus, it comes in handy on the saph fight.

But basically, you have a choice to make. Either be cheap and accept your low hp, or do something about it with some cash.
_________________
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile
Ulushnar
Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:56 am
You get nothing for nothing. If you want to tank Heroics, get the gear for it. Do dailies, get cash, hell use green gems and cheap enchants if you really can't afford the good stuff.

My philosophy is I'd rather have the gear I'm wearing at a decent standard than save a little gold and wait for a drop that might never come.
_________________
I am a sexy, shoeless God of War!
mgkeeper
Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:34 am
I will agree with the ones before me, although i somehow understand that u may not have the appropriate amount of cash to enchant ur gear. What i did when i 1st ding 80 was to buy the BoE gear from BS pluss the titanshield and that gave me 20k unbuffed hp, 22k armor (more or less) and 545 def, no enchant but the ones from the reputation back in tbc. U should be fine to start heroics like that. But once u get better gear there must be enchented right away. So save up money Smile

Tanking is afterall an expensive sport!!
hoho
Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:38 am
I'm slacking on my main raiding spriest enchants-gems much more than my barely Naxx-capable tankadin. Tanks just can't slack if they want to perform adequately.
Martie
Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:34 am
Okay, some nicer advice then.

Level those professions, they both have some very good gear to offer you, more then enough to get you ready for heroics.

Here are some tips.
http://www.wowhead.com/?search=focusing+lens
These are fun, the mats are cheap, so you can make a profit with some effort.

http://www.wowhead.com/?search=crystallized#items:0+12+1
Check the entries for the crystallized elementals, and see what mob has the highest drop count. (Not drop rate, drop count.) Those mobs are likely the best to be farmed for the mats.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=33470
There's a constant demand for it, and it's easily farmed if other spots are overcrowded.

http://www.wowhead.com/?npc=28098
These mobs run around in groups, are nonhostile and die like flies. A great source for chilled meat, which is worth a pretty penny, and needed for your daily cooking quests.

Do your dailies. The sons of hodir are important, so is the scarlet crusade and the daily cooking. Even if you don't plan on ever cooking the endgame cooking recipes, the northern spices make quite a bit of money on the AH.

Go fishing. Last I checked http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40199 was still worth some good money, and the other fish you find can be cooked into a variety of different foods, which gives stamina buffs or can be used in stead of buying water.

It won't be easy or fast, but get those professions up, and get gemmed.
_________________
I'm about to drop the hammer...
...and dispense some indiscriminate justice!

This is my armory profile