Skip to content
Maintankadin

I thought I had the gear for H VH

Pallypete
Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:26 am
If it's the birdman boss, were you killing his two adds? I'm pretty sure he gets buffed if his helpers die, making him hit quite hard. If that's the case just tank them all and burn down the boss himself. VH can be super easymode or can be semi-difficult depending on which bosses you get. Voidwalker and Ethereal guy kinda suck. Water guy's fairly easy except for when he enrages at low health (25%?), bubblewall through it and have your DPS go to town. Lavanthor's a joke, just make sure you move out of the pools of fire. End boss is probably one of the easiest ones in there too.
_________________
Eanin
Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:47 am
The ethereal hits like a truck when he gets buffed. He can kill just about any tank. Kite him around upstairs, so he's out of LoS of his void thingies.

He hit me for 11k yesterday. Ouch.
_________________
Pallypete
Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:53 am
I just found a strat on wowhead for the ethereal guy that suggests tanking him in the water where Ichoron comes from, apparently they didn't have to worry about the orbs at all. I'll try it next time I get him.
_________________
Danth
Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:53 pm
I had about the same stats as other posters when I started heroics: Low 540's Defense and about 22K health. My wife--a Druid--had about 1200 spell power. Violet Hold was among the first heroics we did (along with Nexus). Both zones, and others, weren't too tough at that equipment level. Simply put, if your group is wiping, it's not your gear's fault. Don't let them blame their (or your) mistakes on your equipment.

As with Burning Crusade, most named mobs in Lich King are more about learning their gimmicks and executing the fight correctly than raw stats. That guy who killed you in Nexus? If you don't want to suck up his Whirlwind, you can just run out of range.

Knaughty: Why do you consider a Druid the 'worst' healer for 5-man content? I consider it an excellent dungeon healer at present. It's notable that I did consider Druids the worst during the Burning Crusade time frame.

Danth
_________________
Medivh server
Danth
Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:38 pm
"In TBC, the problem was that if the damage could be dealt with via stacked HoTs, they were OP, if it couldn't, well, you just died (unless they were PvP spec). Toolkit too small. Thinking about it, they did get some actual direct heals in Wrath? They usable in tree-form? "

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but information is always useful:

With the changes since 3.0, Druids can use their largest direct heal in Tree of Life form (healing touch--comparable to a priest's greater heal). Regrowth received major improvements and serves well as a direct heal in dungeons, too. Druids also gain Nourish at 80, which is effectively a flash heal. Wild Growth (an AOE heal over time) was another major addition to their arsenal. My wife tells me that it feels like a whole new class now--for the better.

I agree with what Looweez said. The first time my friends and I did Heroic Utgarde Pinnacle, none of us had been in the zone before, not even on normal mode. That we managed to defeat Skaldi without wiping means more to me than any of Blizzard's official 'achievements'. We managed to hang on by the skin of our teeth, out of mana, out of cooldowns, two battle rezzes used (two druids in the group), half the party down, the remainder almost dead--but victorious. That's what makes these games fun.

Danth
_________________
Medivh server
Discus
Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:05 am
Yeah was a healing issue - took the Guild priest to Utgarde Keep Heroic last night and had to keep checking I had it set on heroic. No wipes, almost walk through with enough close moments to make it interesting.

I can now enjoy Christmas as I hope you all do Surprised
phaqueue
Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:50 am
My roommate is an amazing resto druid... has the gear for it too

also have a friend on the server who is a merc glad resto druid... and probably one of the best resto druids I have ever played with...

Honestly - I have to agree with the above posters here... you took the worst possible combination (lack of gear/lack of experience)

while it is possible to survive this through tricks and such... it makes it MUCH harder than it actually should be

my first few heroics as a tank - I had no idea what I was doing... but I was running with people who had done them enough to know what's going on...

honestly - your stats are about where mine were when I started - and I pugged a lot for a the first week or so...

just keep plugging away - read up on some strats (there are some good guides in the 5-man forum here on MTadin)

another thing that will help a ton that people tend to not do... when you wipe... don't just say "ok well - let's try harder next time" actually figure out why you wiped... remember - no matter what role you're in - there are things that other people see/do in the fight that you will never see

when you wipe - the first question should be "what happened that caused us to wipe" if it's RNG... so be it... if it's a boss ability - figure out how to survive/avoid that ability... if someone made a mistake - they need to fix it...

this is the best way to overcome things like this - especially if you don't know the instance completely yet...

make sure you make it clear to people that you aren't singling them out when you say "why did you die" tell them that you are just trying to figure out what happened to fix it...

hope it helps some
_________________
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so" -Douglas Adams
Discus
Wed Dec 24, 2008 5:22 am
I should clarify - the original resto druid is a top bloke and guild GM Laughing

In TBC he was the guild's best healer but has just hit 80 so hasn't yet had chance to gear up. The priest on the otherhand has been 80 a while and has had lots of luck with drops. So it's not a fair comparison.
amh
Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:54 pm
Your armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Ghostlands&n=Discus ?

Your guildies are wrong; your gear is fine. Bosses hit hard on heroic, that's just something your healer has to get used to. Block-value is good, but using a trinket-slot on it just isn't worth it. Drop the blockvalue-trinket to get some stamina (got Essence of Gossamer, Commendation of Kael'Thas?) or anything else, really :)

Which nexus-boss was it? The frozen commander-guy has a whirlwind that hurts, Ormorok throws out ice spikes for 10k damage. Anomalus hits like a truck (+ magic damage). Telestra is just a pain. Keristrasza... Keep that bubble-wall off cooldown. This entire instance is a dirthole full of burst-damage to counter.

Edit: Apparently I skipped page 2 when reading through this >.>
_________________
Kieras <- armory
Proud cook of Savory Deviate Delight