Skip to content
Maintankadin

There is no such thing as a defense cap, only a minimum

Majiben
Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:25 am
you mean .33% block.
_________________
I made a port to exodar. My friend proceeds to MD Alar onto the AFK tank, and we both run. People ran with us, until the port, and realised it was to exodar. Only three of us went through. Turns out people would rather die than go to exodar. -Infurnus
voitstarr
Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:56 pm
so in short, MT is WRONG that the def minimum is around 650 (or w/e he stupidly said).
HOWEVER more def is good to help reach "Block Cap".

sorted, cheers.

Please help stop the spread of misinformation. Always a defense minimum, never a cap -Majiben
_________________
fuzzygeek
Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:14 am
More def is good in and of itself, regardless of whether or not you're block capped.
_________________
towelliee
Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:51 am
Lore when you say defense is good up until the block cap which is old school 102.4 what do you do afterward? keep stacking defense?.

Maybe I read wrong.
_________________
Macktruck
Sun Dec 14, 2008 1:10 am
Straight up, 16 Def rating > 16 dodge rating. I put def gems in my gear to get socket bonuses. 2 are enduring, and chest has 24 stam/16 def as they were cheaper at the time.

There's nothing wrong with defense at all. Defense skill smooths out your avoidance. Once you hit the block cap, if you have a piece of gear that has a little block on it, you can exchange that out for more dodge/parry or w/e. However, the problem with block is that there are many pieces with gobs of it on there. Take T7.5 Chest/Legs; there's more than 100 block rating on there, and removing either one would reduce your block chance down to 11-13%.

Having a little bit of block after block cap isn't bad at all especially if you're aoe tanking, or if there are times where you're unable to put back up holy shield. I'm part of the interrupt rotation on Kel'Thuzad. If I have to forgo putting up HS in lieu of interrupting the boss, then I will. I may take 2k more dmg on the next melee hit, but it's better than taking a bigass frostbolt to the face.

Having more than 540 def doesn't hurt you in the least bit. It gives you more room for switching out gear whether it's for a bit more mitigation through BV or putting on more hit/expertise.
Panzerdin
Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:50 am
I disagree. With diminishing returns, there is a point past which additional defence will do nothing.
_________________

In Soviet Russia, shield slams YOU!
Chuck Norris is my off tank.
voitstarr
Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:53 pm
if you edit my posts, at least use a nice shade of red or something ><
_________________